PDA

View Full Version : Generic CR123A Batteries, or where to buy name brand?

larry0071
03-18-09, 07:04
I used Google Shopping to look for CR123A batteries and I come up with a bunch of no name batteries for about a $1 to $1.50 each.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=CR123A+Batteries&oe=UTF-8&scoring=p

Is there any difference between Streamlight or Surefire branded batteries and the generics in service life? I'm not inherently cheap, but I'm leaning on the thought that a battery is a battery....you know, like a M4 is an M4.... (Joke! Don't kill me!).

Any of you purchased any of the no named, less expensive batteries and got similar service from them?

If I'm looking in the wrong direction, tell me where you found great deals on bulk packs of 10 or more CR123A batteries please.

I am open to correction if batteries are not all created equal!

larry0071
03-18-09, 07:09
Like, here is a 5 pack for $4.10. If they are junk, its like wiping your butt with a $5 bill, but if they are the same as what comes stock/OEM in the Streamlight... then it's a great deal to be had!

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/WF-CR123A-30V-Primary-Lithium-Battery-5Pack-p-6427.html?currency=USD&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase

vigilant2
03-18-09, 08:53
Cheapbatteries.com/photo.htm , they are a good source.
According to the guys in the candlepower forums the Panasonic CR123's,Duracell Ultra 123's and Batterystation batteries are the best. They say to stay away from
Energizer's, Streamlights and believe it or not Surefire 123's.Not that the latter are no good,but that in hard use they don't perform to the level of the first three mentioned in terms of thermal shutdown,output or longevity. They have done hard use testing on all types of CR123's. They have all kinds of graphs and measurements (alot of them I don't understand) and back it up with commentary
on results of the testing for each graph.

FWIW

R Moran
03-18-09, 09:43
In the FWIW category, there is a safety concern document going around DOE, probably for awhile, concerning offshore batteries, primarily from China, go figure.

Can't remember that problem exactly, but they caused problems in some equipment, primarily a flashlight as I recall. Exploding etc. And only US manufactured or other approved batteries are to be used on the facility.
When I go back to work I can look for it.

I bought a bunch of Batteries+ brand 123's after he assured me they weren't offshore, they are. Oh well..

Bob

KellyTTE
03-18-09, 11:40
I use a lot of the Titanium CR123's with good luck. Here's the candle power thread about them:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=768005&postcount=1

Here's where I buy em:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpen-tcr123a-.html

No relation, don't get anything, I've just had good luck with them.

larry0071
03-18-09, 11:51
Thanks Kyle. I just ordered 20. I'll give them a try and see how they work.

NCPatrolAR
03-18-09, 13:42
In the FWIW category, there is a safety concern document going around DOE, probably for awhile, concerning offshore batteries, primarily from China, go figure.

Can't remember that problem exactly, but they caused problems in some equipment, primarily a flashlight as I recall. Exploding etc. And only US manufactured or other approved batteries are to be used on the facility.
When I go back to work I can look for it.

I bought a bunch of Batteries+ brand 123's after he assured me they weren't offshore, they are. Oh well..

Bob

I believe that stemmed from an incident in CA several years ago. Supposedly, a CA LEO was using China built 123s in a light when gases from the batteries built up in the light's body and caused an explosion. Believe the body failed and set the officer's uniform shirt on fire.

I stick with the Batterystation and Surefire 123s. I havent seen a difference between the two.

MisterWilson
03-18-09, 13:45
With all the anecdotal stories floating around about people blowing up & melting flashlights using cheap 123's, is it really worth it to save maybe as much as $40 over your lifetime on your $60-400 flashlight?

larry0071
03-18-09, 13:54
For right now it's worth the risk. I'm willing to give it a try and see what happens. I need to cut costs everywhere I can on non essential items. By saving a few bucks here, I free up a few bucks there. I do appreciate and respect all of the replies and input, and I will keep that in mind as I experiment. Honestly, I do appreciate it.

I will let you know how these seem to work, if they work out well I will share and if they do not I will share as well.

I also ordered 12 NiHD AAA batteries from them while I was paying $9 shipping. Those will go in the Wall-Mart sourced Coleman tactical LED lights I got for me, my wife, and my son for camping. Instead of buying 16 packs for $12 at Wal-mart, I can use the charger I alread have to recharge them up to 1000 times. It's like money in the bank!

ST911
03-18-09, 14:19
I buy the Surefire batteries by the hundreds.

In contemplating which batts to buy, you might contemplate how the manufacturer of your light will respond to a request for support in case of adverse event.

The batts in at least two of the noteworthy and publicized events were imported (false-)economy 123s.

I understand the cumulative savings of a buck or two here and there, but one can always cut out an appetizer, or a meal out, or forego a beer or two.

LittleRedToyota
03-18-09, 14:30
shoot...i thought the streamlights were the cheap ones.

seriously, before it went out of business, i used to get them from the sportsmen's warehouse near here for less than half the cost of duracells or energizers...and, in my experience, they last close to as long.

i never really noticed much difference between the duracells and energizers, but, i will defer to the candlepower folks as they generally know what they are talking about and have empirical data to back it up.

R Moran
03-18-09, 15:15
I believe that stemmed from an incident in CA several years ago. Supposedly, a CA LEO was using China built 123s in a light when gases from the batteries built up in the light's body and caused an explosion. Believe the body failed and set the officer's uniform shirt on fire.

I stick with the Batterystation and Surefire 123s. I haven't seen a difference between the two.

NC,
That sounds like it. I'll look for it when I go back to work, tomorrow night.

Checking out the post linked to at candle power, it would seem some of the batts don't last as long either, or perhaps I read it wrong.

Like I said only US manufactured batteries, or other approved for specific equipment, that's generally out of my pay-grade, are approved, and I'll take their advice. They can be very safety conscious.

Work replaces all of our batteries anyway, we used to see some off brands, but now all I see, for 123 at least, are SureFire and Duracell.

Bob

nickdrak
03-18-09, 15:28
I have been running the Titanium CR123's from BatteryJunction and from the outfit that BatteryJunction bought out last year who was the sole source for the Titanium batteries prior to BatteryJuction.

I have turned-on literally everyone I know in the LE field to these batteries, and I have never had, seen or heard of an issue with them.

I have no reservations recommending the Titanium CR123's from BatteryJunction to anyone looking for good batteries.

For reference: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpen-tcr123a-.html

Vic303
03-18-09, 16:00
BAttery Junction bought Amondotech which used to be the supplier of the Titanium PowPower batteries. Decent enough batteries in most cases, and now that they sell them as matched sticks of batteries, it is a bit safer.

The issue with LiIon batteries was a reverse-charge situation where one battery in a multi-cell light would be at a significantly lower charge, thus leading the other battery/s to attempt to 'recharge' it, leading to a heat overload in the battery, and "spontaneous venting with heat and flame". Candlepowerforums.com has a series of writeups and tests of batteries if you want to do some research. In a single cell light this is not generally considered an issue.

Another potential for problems is if QC slips in manufacture and there gets to be an internal short in the lithium battery.

BTW, there are toxic residues in a LiIon battery failure so beware if you have to clean one up.

Here is a link to CPF's dedicated subforum on the dangerous side of lights and batteries: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=107

UVvis
03-18-09, 16:32
I've had two CR123A lights blow in the past due to faulty batteries. Both times the pressure blew out the rubber tailcap. One was with generic China cells in a lousy Brinkman light. The other was with a quality 9V light and a old china made battery station cell. My wife thought the one she was present for was a gun going off the in house.

High power draw incandescent lights and crappy batteries are bad juju in my book. As long as the vendor/maker backs their batteries, I'll use them.

larry0071
03-18-09, 19:02
I did order the 2 battery sets. I order 6 matched pairs. The cost was about $0.30 more total for the matched sets vs 12 seperate CR123A's.

GLOCKMASTER
03-18-09, 19:34
IRC Grant used to sell Panasonic 123's that were great. He hasn't had them in a while. He had a nice post around some where about 123 batteries.

SeriousStudent
03-18-09, 19:43
I buy the Surefire batteries by the hundreds.

Where do you normally order them from? Direct from Surefire or a stocking dealer?

I have a couple of expensive Surefire lights, and I run the OEM batteries in them. I'll probably load the generics in the inexpensive lights.

PALADIN-hgwt
03-18-09, 20:41
xxxxx

DANGER CLOSE
03-19-09, 11:43
aren't surefire batteries basically a panasonic in a different wrapper, or some other company's. i am sure they don't manufacture batteries. the mah rating was the highest on the panasonic ones i believe, i could be wrong.

Vic303
03-19-09, 15:05
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67078

This thread indicates the viable premise that Energizer is making the Surefire batteries.

ST911
03-19-09, 18:32
Where do you normally order them from? Direct from Surefire or a stocking dealer?

Bulk order once or twice a year direct to SF, sometimes to one of their dealers. Depends on pricing at the time.

I have a couple of expensive Surefire lights, and I run the OEM batteries in them. I'll probably load the generics in the inexpensive lights.

Just be careful, sometimes it isn't only the light that'll be adversely affected by a problem.

I carry one of my lights in my front pocket next to my junk. Rest assured it's a fresh, GTG battery. :D

SeriousStudent
03-19-09, 20:20

Just be careful, sometimes it isn't only the light that'll be adversely affected by a problem.

I carry one of my lights in my front pocket next to my junk. Rest assured it's a fresh, GTG battery. :D

Note to self, carry cheap-ass battery-powered flashlights at arms length........

R Moran
03-20-09, 08:25
Just checked the safety memo's at work.

There were two separate incidents at two separate DOE facilities, where "high intensity flashlights" one was specifically ID'ed as a SureFire, exploded, one causing a minor fire in a vehicle.

Investigation determined a few contributing factors, including mixing batteries, of different type and charges. And off shore, specifically "made in China" and a few made in japan, batteries with lower QC that had either lacked safety features, or those features failed.

Recommendation was to use only batteries recommended by the manufacturer, and made in the US

Bob

larry0071
03-21-09, 22:09
I ordered on the Wednesday the 18th and they came today, Saturday the 21st. good deal, they shipped out on the same day I ordered.

They are Manufactured in PRC (Peoples Republic Of China) but I'll risk it for now!

EatSleepJeep
03-24-09, 20:17
aren't surefire batteries basically a panasonic in a different wrapper, or some other company's. i am sure they don't manufacture batteries. the mah rating was the highest on the panasonic ones i believe, i could be wrong.

Correct. There is only one manufacturer of CR123A Lithium batteries in the USA; Panasonic. If your 123A is made in the USA, it is a Panasonic cell on the inside.

There are several overseas manufacturers, but as long as you don't mix brands or use cells of differing ages in series with one another, yuo shouldn't have any problems. Flashlightforums has a couple of threads of explosions, it seems no brand is immune if you don't follow those two rules.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67078

This thread indicates the viable premise that Energizer is making the Surefire batteries.

False. Panasonic makes them for Energizer.