PDA

View Full Version : AR hunting laws

mo hunter
03-18-09, 19:27
I do not know which area this should be listed in. I am building my ar for hunting in missouri. Predator hunting is what it is going to be used for, I have read the huntign regs book and haven't found any type of regulations on using these. Any links or feedback on what is or is not legal would be great.

citizensoldier16
03-18-09, 22:34
Using my Google-fu I could not find any regulation in your state pertaining to the use (or prohibition thereof) of the AR platform as a hunting rifle. However, that is NOT to say that they do not exist. Contact your local wildlife enforcement officer for more accurate information. Regional offices and contact phone numbers can be found on page 35 of your Hunting and Trapping Regulations digest - March 1, 2009 issue. (see link below for .pdf)

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/2116.pdf

Alaskapopo
03-19-09, 05:15
I do not know which area this should be listed in. I am building my ar for hunting in missouri. Predator hunting is what it is going to be used for, I have read the huntign regs book and haven't found any type of regulations on using these. Any links or feedback on what is or is not legal would be great.

Like the previous poster said you need to know your local laws. Here in Alaska pretty much anything goes except rimfire for large game and then its legal when caribou are swimming in a river.

Abraxas
03-19-09, 05:55
Double check with DNR, but MO used to be just any centerfire cartridge.

citizensoldier16
03-19-09, 08:13
Another thought...on the topic of conservation. Since the AR platforms are semi-auto and tend to hurl brass pretty far, please remember to pick up your brass and dispose of them properly. Nothing burns me more than finding old brass or rusty shotgun shells on gamelands or private property used by others.

Unless it's your land and you just don't give a crap!

mo hunter
03-19-09, 10:31
I have tried searching this subject but have found no definite answer. Missouri is fairly relaxed on hunting laws, we can use semi autos, I am just wondering about clip size. I have read where some people say the gun can have 11 rounds, 10 in a clip and 1 in the barrel, and I have found some that say 5. As far as brass. I have dedicated pockets to place my spent shells. With the exception of 22 lr brass(it has a tendency to bury themselves), I pick up all spent cartridges. And I keep my soda bottles(I hate seeing soda bottles or beer cans). I try to leave it cleaner than I found it.

Abraxas
03-19-09, 18:51
As I recall (my memory is crap) for rifle 11 is the limit. But for Shotgun, it was only 4 or 5. But again CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL DNR OFFICE. AKA conservation

rat31465
03-20-09, 13:23

Mo hunter,
I'm from Springfield area myself....originally born and raised in Ozark Co.

From http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/firearms.htm
Methods prohibited (in use or in possession)
For Deer and Furbearing animals.
self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined
ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
full hard metal case projectiles
fully automatic firearms
any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game
electronic calls or electronically activated calls

I assume that you have either a Hunters Safety Card or were born prior to 1966?

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/2116.pdf

This link will lead you to the Mo Dept of Conservation and the appropriate regulations. Or you may call 573-751-4115 if you have any other questions.

Hope this answers your questions?

mo hunter
03-20-09, 17:39
That is the info I was needing. I also found the no electronic call interesting. Never thought of that being illegal for predator calling here. And just to throw this out there on the shotgun. a shotgun can have 3 shells, it is alright if the shotgun has provisions for mor erounds but it has to be blocked so no more than 3 can be loaded.

rat31465
03-21-09, 09:23
Oooops, sorry for the double post...Please Mods delete this post.

rat31465
03-21-09, 09:24
Another little FYI to be filed under the "I didn't know that tab" in the brain. The use of Laser sights in the state of Missouri are prohibited for game hunting as they are considered an artificial light source and the use of one is prosecutable as "Spotlighting."
Red Dots are fine as are any of the other illuminated reticle scopes as they do no cast a light onto the game being hunted.
I only included this little tid bit as I just found it interesting.

Mark/MO
03-21-09, 13:32
+1 on what rat31465 has already said. Back in the 80's we coyote hunted a lot with AR's. The 10 round magazine and no projecting beam of light is the only restrictions I remember.

Incidently, I am from SW Mo as well, just a little further south and west than rat31465.

rat31465
03-25-09, 08:37
Incidently, I am from SW Mo as well, just a little further south and west than rat31465.[/QUOTE]

Mark,
Just curious but are you by any chance from around Barry county?
I was actually born and raised in Ozark Co, near Theodosia...but my Dads family is from Lawrence and Barry Co.

Mark/MO
03-29-09, 16:34
[/QUOTE]Just curious but are you by any chance from around Barry county?
I was actually born and raised in Ozark Co, near Theodosia...but my Dads family is from Lawrence and Barry Co.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm currently living in Newton County. I used to deer hunt in Barry county back in the late 80's. Are you still living in MO?

bkb0000
03-29-09, 17:44
in oregon, non-game predator (coyote, basically) is just considered varmint, and there are no regulations... you can hunt 'em with RPGs, machineguns, ARs, slingshots, day or night, with or without light, on foot or from the truck, no ammo limit, no bag limit. make sure you're looking in the right classification, so's not to short yourself. i called the BLM, myself.

Puffy93
03-29-09, 17:49
I'm in MO and use my ar for hunting all the time. Just use a 10 round mag or smaller. Dropped an 8 point buck with it this past season

rat31465
03-29-09, 18:09
Mark, Yes I still live in Missouri...I actually live in Springfield now and have been for the last 5 years.
Sounds like you live near the Flower Box Capital...Aka Neosho.

Dave

mo hunter
03-29-09, 19:32
Hey Puffy93, I am fairly close to you, about 90 miles. I am a stickler for anything deer, how big was your buck. I haven't shot one in 2 yrs. I am really picky though.