PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the game, where's the carbide?

1_click_off
03-18-09, 20:56
It's been about 14 years since I have reloaded anything. I am setting up a small bench with all my rcbs gear. I need to purchase new dies for my 5.56mm and 7.62X51mm. Can I just get 223 and 308 winchester mag dies or do I need to get dies for the above. Also I am looking for carbide dies. I was in cabelas the other day and they had RCBS and hornady dies, but I could not find anywhere on the boxes if they are carbide or not. Is there any advantage to not having carbide other than getting coated in case lube? Also what is a consistant, non-fouling powder to use? Mostly reloading for plinking.

Thanks

Telperion
03-19-09, 00:43
I think Dillon is the only one who makes carbide rifle dies, for .223 and .308 only, and even they say lube is still required. It's over $100 each for the full length die, and just my opinion but the difference in price buys a whole lot of case lube. The exterior dimensions of the case for 5.56mm are the same as for .223, so yes you want .223 and .308 dies.

I've been using TAC for plinking and training loads. It's cheap (or was, given the recent price trends), clean, and consistent for a ball powder, but really there are lot of powders that will work well in either cartridge. I'd suggest looking through a current reloading manual.

Hound_va
03-19-09, 08:24
You do NOT want 223 and 308 Winchester Mag dies. You want 223 Remington and 308 Winchester dies. Even if you do find and purchase carbide sizing dies for both of those cartridges you will still have to lube the cases. Steel 223 Remington and 308 Winchester dies with lube will get you the same results as 223 Remington and 308 Winchester carbide dies with lube.

MarshallDodge
03-19-09, 14:34
I have the Dillon carbide 223 sizing die that I picked up years ago. I think I paid $40 for it because I remember the one carbide die cost the same as a full set of regular dies. I don't know how many cases I have sized with it but I would guess somewhere in the 15K range. With lube, the carbide die makes sizing of 223 almost effortless.

The one I would spend the carbide money on is the 308. They take a lot more effort to size. I have an RCBS set for 308 that I picked up cheap but have used Hornady New Dimension dies and like them better.