PDA

View Full Version : Holster recommendations

RogerinTPA
03-19-09, 08:28
Looking for a good holster to replace my current one for use in classes only. What are you guys using?

Requirements:

-Injected molding with Paddle Attachment

-Fits the M&P9/40

-Fits the TRL1 or SF X300 light

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Dedpoet
03-19-09, 08:45
Raven Concealment Systems. You can get an M&P with light holster and an add-on paddle attachment.

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_85_93&products_id=1576

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_89_100&products_id=1416

RogerinTPA
03-19-09, 21:52
Thanks for that link. That's the rig I had in mind. Much appreciated!

Roger

ToddG
03-19-09, 23:00
Looking for a good holster to replace my current one for use in classes only. What are you guys using?

The same holster I wear every day while carrying. Not trying to pick on you, bud, but what's the purpose of training with a holster that is different from your everyday rig?

RogerinTPA
03-20-09, 20:03
The same holster I wear every day while carrying. Not trying to pick on you, bud, but what's the purpose of training with a holster that is different from your everyday rig?

My current holster for social issues is a IWB MTAC, but want an OWB for training, unless the course is specifically designed for concealed carry draw fire. In most classes I've had, I don't run a concealed rig. Some instructors in the local area, have issues with it when mixing students with different levels of training and want all students with outside rigs. It also would get in the way with a chest rig and other accessories on the belt if I used a IWB holster in a carbine course, which I have coming up five weeks. I prefer paddle holsters for gun and mags for ease in taking the stuff off during breaks when I may have to leave the range for meals, etc... If it this rig works out, it may be serving a dual CCW/Training role. If it does, it will be my first OWB holster for daily carry. For what it's worth, when training on my own, on the range I'm authorized to draw fire, I do use my daily carry IWB.

thopkins22
03-20-09, 20:47
Some instructors in the local area, have issues with it when mixing students with different levels of training and want all students with outside rigs. It also would get in the way with a chest rig and other accessories on the belt if I used a IWB holster in a carbine course, which I have coming up five weeks.

There was a case where a student shot himself in the leg doing just that. Drew from a concealed appendix rig, got tangled in his chest rig, and shot himself in the upper leg with a .40s&w.

Well known instructor, and a supposedly well trained student.

ToddG
03-20-09, 22:40
I know of at least two "name" instructors who dislike or outright ban IWB holsters in their classes. Personally, for me, it's enough to keep me from signing up. But no argument, if the training you have access to limits you to an OWB holster then training is better than no-training.

Farva
03-21-09, 01:22
I recommend the raven concealment Phantom LC holster. Mine is for a Glock 19 with tlr-1. It works great owb or iwb. Its what I was rockin at LAV's class last November.

I know of at least two "name" instructors who dislike or outright ban IWB holsters in their classes.

Whom would they be ?

ZDL
03-21-09, 06:34
I know of at least two "name" instructors who dislike or outright ban IWB holsters in their classes. Personally, for me, it's enough to keep me from signing up. But no argument, if the training you have access to limits you to an OWB holster then training is better than no-training.

Do you carry IWB or OWB daily?

ToddG
03-21-09, 08:38
ZDL -- I don't think I've OWB concealed carry a total of ten times in my life.

For years I used a traditional IWB holster, usually a Milt Sparks Executive Companion, Kramer IWB#3, Comp-Tac Gurkha, or CCC Looper.

Since July'08 I've been carrying AIWB primarily with a CCC appendix Looper but also with various iterations of Garrity Gunleather AIWB prototypes.