PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Spring Test

Race
03-19-09, 09:18
Not a scientific test at all - just anecdotal. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the range with an assortment of pistols. I happened to have two Hi Power magazines that I've had for maybe 20 years that had been stored loaded for the last 10-12 years. These were SS Pachmayr mags, that I think were probably manufactured by Mec-Gar. They were loaded with the old Federal 9BP loads.

They functioned without a hitch, which I expected, but it was interesting to find out for sure.

I did notice something about one of the loaded SS Pachmayr mags, though. One of them was a bit tighter fit in my HPs than the other mags (Browning, FN, Inglis, Mec-Gar, Pachmayr). It made me wonder if the mag had slightly bowed outward under the constant load over the years. I have no recollection as to whether that mag was this way years ago, so it's just a guess.

The other loaded mag was not this way, so it could have simply been a manufacturing deviation.

JonInWA
03-19-09, 15:54
Race, years ago I had similar dimensional issues with some Pachmayr magazines for my SIG-Sauer P220; some would fit and drop free flawlessly, others, well, wouldn't. I sent the defective one(s) (I honestly forget how many there were) back to Pachmayr; they were promptly replaced with brand new one(s)-which also didn't fit/drop free any better. The magazines were quickly relegated to range-only use. They were nicely made, but poorly dimensioned (which, in retrospect, means that they in reality weren't all that nicely made).

Best, Jon

Race
03-24-09, 13:58
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.