PDA

View Full Version : Comptac MTAC + M&P no safety

ballsout
03-19-09, 17:07
I am currently using a MTAC inside the pant holster with a M&P 9 which has no safeties besides me. I will usually carry with no round in the chamber but i know if a time may arrise i will not want to worry about loading a round. Do you think the M&P having no thumb safety will be safe enough to carry a round in the chamber in the MTAC holster?

ToddG
03-19-09, 17:18
Like a Glock, an M&P without a manual safety is exactly as safe as you are. No more, no less. It won't go off by itself, but neither will it save you if you frak up and put your finger where it doesn't belong.

Having said that, I'd never carry with an empty chamber.

John_Wayne777
03-19-09, 17:28
Literally tens of thousands of police officers and ordinary citizens carry a Glock or an M&P every day with a round in the chamber and they don't have any problem.

As Todd said, it's as safe as you are. Make sane carry equipment choices (no dangly bits that can get caught in the trigger guard), carry in good holsters, observe proper procedures at all times, and you'll be just fine.

nickdrak
03-19-09, 18:21
I completely agree with the above on carrying a pistol without a loaded chamber.
Take a concealed carry or pistol gunfighting course with one of the several excellent firearm training resources you have available to you in the great state of Texas.

CSAT

Tiger Valley

Spartan Tactical

etc, etc, etc.....

LOKNLOD
03-19-09, 18:27
If it makes you feel any better, I carry a G19 or G26 in an MTAC with no safety and a loaded chamber, no problemo.

RWK
03-19-09, 18:45
Having said that, I'd never carry with an empty chamber.

But the Israeli's teach it so, it must be THE way... :D :rolleyes:

03-19-09, 18:53
I'll be straight forward. If you carry a gun without a round in the chamber you might as well leave it at home. Or in that case, just get an airsoft gun and paint the orange tip black. Take the time to train and get comfortable with the gun.

Since you are in Houston as well, take the time and shoot some IDPA matches. It will get you used to carrying a loaded gun and drawing it out putting it on target.
WHIDPA has weekly matches. Carrying the gun in "real life" is no different. Just think of the buzzer.. It goes off, you draw and shoot if need be.

As already mentioned, it doesn't matter how many safeties the gun can have. 3 to 15.. Your index finger is your safety. You keep that sucker indexed until you are ready to rock and roll. Action is faster than reaction. Your reaction time will be slow already. Why exacerbate the situation and take the time out to rack the slide and then get on target?

ToddG
03-19-09, 22:41
Literally tens of thousands of police officers and ordinary citizens carry a Glock or an M&P every day with a round in the chamber and they don't have any problem.

Yes, but there are also those who do have a problem. I've watched agencies switch from heavy first shot hammer fired guns to light first shot striker fired guns and the rate of accidents while holstering, etc., has risen. The reality is that when you make a gun easier to shoot, you also make it easier to shoot accidentally.

Now, I carry a striker fired gun in an appendix inside the waistband holster ... obviously if I thought it was dangerous I wouldn't be doing it. But we shouldn't fool ourselves into denying that we're running closer to the edge with this kind of gear. Under stress, even the best people make mistakes. Some gear is better at providing safety margins than others. It's a trade off.

I'll be straight forward. If you carry a gun without a round in the chamber you might as well leave it at home.

Thousands of soldiers, sailors, and Marines would probably beg to differ. Having an unloaded gun is less than optimal, but having no gun is far worse. I can load a gun quickly if I have it on me ... if it's back home, I'm screwed.

Do I prefer carrying it chamber empty? Hell no. But while a chamber-empty gun might be less useful and slower into play, it beats having no gun at all.

Alpha Sierra
03-21-09, 20:17
Do you think the M&P having no thumb safety will be safe enough to carry a round in the chamber in the MTAC holster?
That's how I carry mine all day, every day, and that's how it sits in my nightstand overnight.

I have yet to shoot anything I did not want to shoot with it.

Load that pistol and get with the program.

RogerinTPA
03-21-09, 21:25
I am currently using a MTAC inside the pant holster with a M&P 9 which has no safeties besides me. I will usually carry with no round in the chamber but i know if a time may arrise i will not want to worry about loading a round. Do you think the M&P having no thumb safety will be safe enough to carry a round in the chamber in the MTAC holster?

I use the same rig, except the weapon is the M&P9c, and it's always loaded. Just remember, finger off the trigger until you have the sights on target. You'll be fine. It all depends on your comfort level though. The Israelis have been running the chamber unloaded/condition 2 setup, for decades, even with their swat and elite forces . If you can get comfortable building muscle memory in racking during the draw, you should be good to go. Just make sure you practice with snap caps.

skyugo
03-22-09, 18:18
long as it's in a holster you're good to go.
i don't even leave my glocks in the safe without a holster. i like know that when i draw, it is ready.
pocket carry or those silly clipdraw things.. i wouldn't do with a trigger safety gun. you definitely need something to prevent foreign objects from getting into the trigger guard.

trio
03-22-09, 21:59
i carry a G19 or G17 in a C-TAC almost every day.....I too do not see any reason to carry on an empty chamber

practice, practice, practice....

I won't use a carry rig without doing extensive holster draws out of it....both with dry fire and with live fire....people who carry a gun without first extensively shooting it from the way they will carry it absolutely flabberghast me....

87GN
03-23-09, 20:07
Only time I carry without a round in the chamber is if the weapon is not in a holster.

Such as if I've been open carrying, need to CCW but don't have a proper holster - I will clear the weapon, then go condition 3, and carry "Mexican"style.

03-24-09, 00:42
For those that carry condition 2, do you have access to Simunitions? Do a little role playing with them.. You'll see what works and what doesn't. As I stated, action is faster than reaction regardless of what condition you have your gun in.
Just play out different scenarios drawing from the holster to engaging to threat.

I agree, having a gun unloaded or loaded is better than nothing. I pray to God you're not faced with a threat that just plain doesn't give a shit even if he's staring down a barrel of a gun. Remember, BG's practice as well.