PDA

View Full Version : Shelter/Tents/Bivouac

Outlander Systems
03-20-09, 07:17
What's everyone using for shelter? I'm still debating on what to use in the BOB. I haven't ruled out the Hammock, but it's already been noted as to why it's not always the most advantageous option. The jury's still out for me. I'm looking at everything from a poncho & some 550 cord, to an ultralight backpacking tent. In the past, I've used the Eureka Solitaire. The lightweight nature was a very big plus, but the size wasn't stellar, and it got extremely crowded with gear + sleeper.

Gutshot John
03-20-09, 09:53
What's everyone using for shelter? I'm still debating on what to use in the BOB. I haven't ruled out the Hammock, but it's already been noted as to why it's not always the most advantageous option. The jury's still out for me. I'm looking at everything from a poncho & some 550 cord, to an ultralight backpacking tent. In the past, I've used the Eureka Solitaire. The lightweight nature was a very big plus, but the size wasn't stellar, and it got extremely crowded with gear + sleeper.

What type of weather? How cold? How many seasons? How much experience do you have camping?

Vic303
03-20-09, 10:13
I've got a Heatsheets Bivvy in the BOB, and nice tents at home for general camping.

Outlander Systems
03-21-09, 10:35
What type of weather? How cold? How many seasons? How much experience do you have camping?

1) All weather types.

2) 30F to 100F

3) 4 seasons

4) Tons.

My experience with lightweight backpacking tents begins and ends at the Eureka Solitaire. I may go back to it, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to feel out what everyone else has used, or is using, as a GP shelter. I'm limiting this to backpacking/hiking shelters only, since "camping" for most folks generally involves RVs, Generators, and running water.

Gutshot John
03-21-09, 10:55
2) 30F to 100F

30-100F is generally 3 season, so you don't need to get too pricey.

The Eureka should be more than adequate and I have a "mozzie" tent which works great especially in warmer weather for keeping bugs off my wife.

That said I use something different when I'm by myself in wooded areas...Since you have a bit more experience, I'd just get a tarp/hammock/550 cord and a Gore-tex bivy sack. More comfortable sleeping off the ground when it's warm, the bivy will keep you warmer/dryer when it's cold/wet.

losbronces
03-21-09, 13:51
1) All weather types.

2) 30F to 100F

3) 4 seasons

4) Tons.

My experience with lightweight backpacking tents begins and ends at the Eureka Solitaire. I may go back to it, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to feel out what everyone else has used, or is using, as a GP shelter. I'm limiting this to backpacking/hiking shelters only, since "camping" for most folks generally involves RVs, Generators, and running water.

I have been using a Bibler (now Black Diamond) tent similar to the Tempest for about 13 years now, but never solo. The tent is quick to set up, the ventilation works, it is solid in the wind (I've set it up twice in hail storms), you can leave your boots and pack outside under the vestibule and the material used is durable and waterproof. I use a Bibler tripod bivy (they still make that one) for going solo. I like the tripod because you sit up in it and its not much of a weight penalty compared to tighter bivy options. Also, it breathes well and keeps insects on the outside.

The Bibler I-tent (for one person) is another option for going solo, but really I think its too much unless you are planning to be stuck inside through prolonged storms and based on your requirements that doesn't seem to be the case. Bibler tents and bivies use a PTFE laminate to ensure that water stays out, but also allowing at least some water vapor to pass. I have used these shelters in -16 to just over 90 degrees F.

bigshooter
03-21-09, 15:42
I have this one lashed up to my BOB, it is really light and if you get the footprint(sold seperately) you can make a quick shelter using the footprint and the rain fly, without having to set up the main tent.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL2

RWBlue
03-29-09, 17:45
If you are looking for a 1 item, to serve all your purposes, you are looking for a tent.

I have a hammock it is great or hot times, but you need trees and in cold times you will freeze.

The Bivi is a great idea an I understand why the military does the bivi, but I wouldn't want to live in a bivi for a week in the rain. I can not get in, out, dressed, undressed in a bivi.

So what do I have....
I have a couple tents. When I want to go to the woods light in the cold, I take a single person tent. The honest truth is I want a 1.5 or 2 man tent and I must be able to sit up in this tent.

I have a Hammock. This has been to the woods a couple times, but timming is everything and I have not been able to make it to the woods when a hammock would be the best option.

I own a bivi, but not a good bivi. I went to the woods once with it. I am tempted to use it with the hammock as extra protection.

bkb0000
03-29-09, 18:05
sounds like i'll just get scoffed at, but you can get rolls of good plastic sheeting.. 4 mil is perfectly adequate for SHTF needs, 6 mil is almost indestructable. 10' wide, by however long you want. roll it out, cut it to length, roll it back up.. takes up 2"x12" tubular space in the pack and weighs about a pound. string it up with 550 cord and you'll stay dry and perfectly warm with a good camp pad and bag.

Hayduke
03-30-09, 17:33
i'm a hennessy hammock user and have had my setup out in 10 deg nights with the insulation under-bag from Jacks-R-Better. i sleep great in my hammock and upgraded the standard fly with the untralight oversized model. my whole system for cold weather packs down to the size of two grapefruits.

i also have:

Big Agnes Emerald Mtn 3 w/ accessory vestibule
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight
Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 3D
Eureka Timberline 4XT
OR Delux Bivy

can you tell i camp a lot?

RogerinTPA
03-30-09, 20:58
Back in the day, it was a leantoo/poncho hootch (with 550 cord) for most seasons. Now days, its a Coleman Avior X2. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102139_325001000_325000000_325001000_325-1-0

dhrith
03-30-09, 22:18
I just carry an old school poncho with bungee cords. I don't plan on doing the 20 to -20 shit anymore if I can help it. Good sleeping bag/mat for the colder stuff, poncho liner with a zipper sewn onto it to zip it up into a bag for the warmer weather.
This is just for a few days. Outside of Dec, Jan, Feb I doubt I'd do more than the poncho though, just to easy to devise shelter in Michigan with all the trees and such around. 30 to 100 though, I'd just be toting the poncho for sure.

RWBlue
03-30-09, 22:20
sounds like i'll just get scoffed at, but you can get rolls of good plastic sheeting.. 4 mil is perfectly adequate for SHTF needs, 6 mil is almost indestructable. 10' wide, by however long you want. roll it out, cut it to length, roll it back up.. takes up 2"x12" tubular space in the pack and weighs about a pound. string it up with 550 cord and you'll stay dry and perfectly warm with a good camp pad and bag.

Some people like a little more comfort than others. If push came to shove, I am sure I could survive in your way for a while, but I wouldn't like it.

I have been eaten alive by bugs, run over by rodents, gotten close to snakes and skunks in the woods. I prefer a tent that zips up to keep the a little distance between me and the world.

My way means I actually use my BOB for fun trips.

03humpalot
04-01-09, 03:09
Kifaru Para Hooch for short trips,sometimes with a tarp for flooring but usually without.

Extended trips or on horseback working out of a base camp i use this job.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0054769518302a&navCount=1&podId=0054769&parentId=cat550002&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat550002&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat550002&hasJS=true

LittleRedToyota
04-01-09, 12:38
i use an Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy sack.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/alpine_bivy.html?id=ogh7NtpU:66.202.11.239

i give it high marks.

i also have an old eureka lightweight backpacking tent that i still use for "luxury" camping trips. it's a good tent and used to be my BOB shelter, but the bivy sack is smaller, lighter, quicker to set up, requires less space to set up, and is warmer in winter.

i did a bunch of research before picking a bivy, and the outdoor research alpine bivy seemed to come out on top, so that is the one i went with. i have not been disappointed at all.

i was also considering a tarp tent (http://www.tarptent.com and http://www.sixmoondesigns.com) instead of the bivy, but ultimately went with the bivy. still think those tarp tent things look interesting, though. i have no real experience with them, though, so i'm not sure how well they work out.

i have also spend many trips sleeping in an improvised shelter made using a poncho, sheet of plastic, etc. definitely works, but, for me, the added comfort and convienence of a bivy is well worth the relatively small amount of extra weight and space it takes up.

RWBlue
04-02-09, 10:12
I forgot to mention the difference between 3 season and 4 season is the ability to support snow. This is why all true 4 season tents are heavier than comparable 3 season tent.