PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 or 27

ROADKING
03-20-09, 15:03
I am looking to buy a ccw gun and didnt know which one to buy the 19 or 27.

MisterWilson
03-20-09, 15:07
My vote's on the 19.

I had a 26 and it honestly wasn't any more concealable than my 19. The only advantage of it in my opinion was the lighter weight.

Meanwhile you'll have a hell of a lot more fun shooting the 19, and the ammo's about 1/3rd cheaper too.

Beat Trash
03-20-09, 15:11
Did you mean to compare the subcompact G27 in 40 cal to the compact G19 in 9mm?

If so, I'd decide on a caliber first, as you can get either size gun in either caliber.

I'd recommend a 9mm. Cheaper to practice, accurate, and with the right loads, it'll work.

I own both a Glock 19 and a Glock 26, among various other guns. If limited to just one pistol, it'd be a Glock 19. I can conceal the G19 just as well, using a good IWB "Tuckable" kydex holster. The G19 shoots like a full size gun, yet conceals like a smaller gun. For me, it's the closest to an all around size gun I have yet to find.

DRich
03-20-09, 15:12
The G19 is a compact 9mm. The G27 is a sub-compact .40S&W. Other than the fact that they are both Glocks, they don't have much in common. Different size, different caliber, different capacities.

Do you want a 9mm or a .40? Last week, you wanted a .45ACP: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27801

Pick a caliber before you start picking pistols.

madisonsfinest
03-20-09, 15:43
Do you have a full size of either weapon? If so, you could get the compact or subcompact that matches so you could share mags and ammo

ROADKING
03-20-09, 16:16
I narrowed it down to the 19 or 27, The ammo is to exspensive for the 45.

Palmguy
03-20-09, 16:19
I narrowed it down to the 19 or 27, The ammo is to exspensive for the 45.

The point is it seems like an odd pair to have it narrowed down to. 19 or 26, 23 or 27 seem like more logical decision points.

kaltblitz
03-20-09, 17:01
Here is my two cents on selecting a gun for Duty/CCW. Take it or ignore it.

First pick the size frame of gun you want.

When it comes to Glocks (or any other hangun) you need to actually hold and shoot the guns first before you pick a frame size. Many people recommend the G19/G23 sized frame for CCW because it fits their hands well. The G17/G22 size frame fits my hand much better and I can conceal just about as easily so that's what I use.

When the stuff hits the fan I want a fullsize handgun so that is what I carry. Logic once told me that a subcompact would be easier to carry around than fullsize. I owned a G27 and found it a pain in the butt to conceal as it is so small and stubby it felt awkward to me when carried IWB. It may work for you, but it didn't work for me. It's all fullsize now.

Second pick your caliber.

I've carried guns in 9mm, 38 Spcl, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I now believe the 9mm is all I need. Training ammo costs less and the gun holds more rounds. With the availability of quality 9mm +P JHP's out there I feel confident that the round will do its job if I put them where they need to go.

Third pick how you will carry the gun.

How you decide you will conceal the gun is important in deciding the holster and your wardrobe. I carry IWB. This means I have to keep this in mind when buying pants, shirts and coats. I always think of how clothing will work with my handgun. No, you don't need to wear camera vests and flannel shirts all the time. With the right holster I can acually carry a 5" 1911 under an untucked black t-shirt without any problems.

A good belt and holster make all the difference. Don't skimp. Be patient. I like Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Alessi and 5Shot Leather. All of those guys have a wait period ranging from a few weeks to months or a year. There stuff is MORE than worth the wait. Quality leather lasts and is comfortable.

Get training

Having all this fancy crap means nothing if you don't know how to properly deploy it. Seek out training from guys that post on this board in the training section. Depending on where you live there will be quality training in your area somewhere. Learn how to shoot and improve and then practice, practice, practice.

GLOCKMASTER
03-20-09, 17:08
I have owned both and for CC I prefer the G19. It is very is to conceal and accurate.

ST911
03-20-09, 17:23
I am looking to buy a ccw gun and didnt know which one to buy the 19 or 27.

To do what, in conjunction with what (like what else do you own), at what level of experience/proficiency, with what desired mode of carry, etc etc etc.

Why a 9 or 40? Why not a 19 or a 26?

More info required.

LittleRedToyota
03-20-09, 17:24
personally i would vote for 9mm over .40s&w just because ammo is cheaper so you can practice more. (of course, if you reload, then this advantage is much less of a factor.)

i would also vote for compact over sub-compact. but that is, of course, a very personal decision. personally, i don't have any problem CCing a full-sized glock, so i CC a G17.

i have trouble understanding how someone would not be able to CC a G19, but some people do think they are too big for whatever reason.

at any rate, of the two you listed, i personally would recommend the G19.

C4IGrant
03-20-09, 17:42
G19.

With that said, I would go with the M&P.

C4

ToddG
03-20-09, 17:45
What Grant said ...

NoBody
03-20-09, 17:56
Deleted.

ToddG
03-20-09, 17:59
I shoot it better and it is more ergonomically flexible which is a benefit when recommending a gun to someone you've never seen before.

The G19 is a legendary workhorse and certainly makes for an outstanding CCW gun. But at least for me the M&P9 is a better choice.

Biggy
03-20-09, 18:19
I have owned all kinds of pistol brands and calibers through the years , now i am down to just a Glock 19 until i receive two of the PT limited run S&W M&P pistols.

skyugo
03-20-09, 19:05
double tap :o

skyugo
03-20-09, 19:08
What Grant said ...

dang.. the m&p is developing quite a following of serious users.....

i shot one once. i was impressed.

i have a 19 and a 26. the 26 conceals easier (got it with the intention of getting a smart carry rig for deep concealment) the 19 is not difficult to conceal either. if you're a t-shirt and shorts kinda guy with liberal friends though.. the 26 will feel more hidden.

LittleRedToyota
03-20-09, 19:12
if you're a t-shirt and shorts kinda guy with liberal friends though.. the 26 will feel more hidden.

meh...liberal friends are generally oblivious anyway. ;)

seriously, though...you could walk around with dirty harry's hand cannon duct taped to your forehead and most people wouldn't notice.

Jerm
03-20-09, 19:18
Why would you (guys) recommend the M&P over the Glock? :confused:

For me,aside from the personal issues of fit/ergo's and shooting it better...

The CTC grips are much better for the M&P.The new Glock 17/19 grip looks much improved.But still more intrusive than the M&P model i would think(im not sure if the new Glock grip has even hit the market yet).I dont care for the current/old Glock CTC grip at all.

mattjmcd
03-20-09, 20:48
IMO the Glock is best in a 9mm format, so I'd pick the G19.

vaspence
03-20-09, 20:54
Buy them both! Glocks don't die they multiply. Especially the 9mm ones.

I find a noticeable carry difference to me between the 19 and 26 but not between the 19 and 17 (does that even make sense?). I carry a 26 most of the time. If I go bigger than the 26 it is usually to a 17. My wife does love the 19 though, almost more than her CS9. Buy em both, you shouldn't lose money on either if you decide to sell.

skyugo
03-20-09, 21:02
meh...liberal friends are generally oblivious anyway. ;)

seriously, though...you could walk around with dirty harry's hand cannon duct taped to your forehead and most people wouldn't notice.

that is something i've noticed as a new CCW holder. people are pretty oblivious...

as a single guy though i do try to look good. baggy lopsided shirts aren't very becoming. :p

ROADKING
03-20-09, 22:59
G19 sounds like a pretty popular gun, I do want something reliable and a workhorse. I had a g17 and loved it but it is to big for ccw. All said i think i will go with the G19.