PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get back into a 1911 and need advice.

RyanS
06-24-06, 12:08
I'm torn between a Kimber Warrior and a 25th Anniversary. I'm not in LE so whatever I get it will be carried concealed. I've been able to find holsters from Bladetech and Comptac for the Warrior, but I'm concerned about what will possibly become "lugging" the Warrior around because of the added weight and width of the light rail. But I do like the idea of being able to attach a light if necessary. Would I be better off getting the Anniversary model and adding a Dawson rail and night sights? I want to get the best bang for my buck and I've been told that the Warrior is probably the best bang around.

I've got a bad habit of overthinking these things and I'm afraid I've gotten myself so far inside the forest that I can't see the trees. I have no experience with light railed 1911s so I'm asking for some advice. Am I making a big deal out of nothing. I do have a line on a 25th Anniversary, but with the demand for Series I Kimbers, it's a bit expensive.

Hobbes
06-24-06, 12:57
My thought is if you want to carry a full size 1911, the few added ounces of a light rail aren't really going to matter (that is if you feel you need a rail). I would really like to have a railed 1911 for HD, but don't see the need for CCW, unless you are trying t kill 2 birds with one 1911 (haha).

For me, a 1911 is great for packing out in the woods, but I prefer something much lighter for CCW.

M4arc
06-24-06, 13:00
Ryan,

I have a 25th Anniversary and I love it. I carry it from time to time (carry my G19 mostly) and it conceals very well and is very comfortable. When the 10-8 Kimber Series 1 group buy came up I almost jumped on it but decide my 25th was pretty much the same thing. Mine has a lot of rounds through it and as long as I maintain it she's stone-cold reliable.

That said, if I was getting a new 1911 it would be the Warrior. The extra weight will hardly be noticable, just about everyone including Milt Sparks is making holsters for them and Blade-Tech is even making a kydex holster where you can carry IWB with a light attached! On top of that the Warrior comes with NS, ambi safety and the rail whereas the 25th would not and you'd have to add them at additional expense. I'm sure you'll find that after you add up the price of the handgun, Dawson rail and NS you'd come out even on cash but would have a lot more time invested in the gun...time you could have used shooting ;)

Speaking of time, I've been waiting for a Warrior for about four months now so I know they are tough to get. Even with the extra time involved in getting a 25th up to speed you might break even in the time you wait for a Warrior to become available. It's probably a toss up either way you look at it.

Sorry I'm not helping much but if you can be patient wait for a Warrior. If you're like me and you hate waiting get the 25th.

Confusing huh? :D

Resq47
06-24-06, 22:36
I have a 25th that I bought on the advice of Marc and everybody else (thanks again guys). It's frequently carried, rotating with a G22 and G26. I'm always passively looking for another for a backup and have seen them on Gunbroker in the 5-600's, used...

If I weren't looking for a carry piece (IWB), the warrior would be my first choice. I'd still like a pair, but might wind up with a couple M&P .45's instead depending on how they turn out.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a 25th that isn't easily 'fixed'.

tomalibrando
06-27-06, 21:24
The Warrior is a great choice for a tactical gun and you can hide it. BUT, have you considered the Kimber Pro Carry TLE/RL? Its compact enough that its handy and has the rail for those tactical applications. Things that aren't the greatest on the kimbers are the sights. Changing out the extractor to a Wilson bullet proof doesn't hurt either. Hilton Yam makes the best sights I know of, but if you don't want to wait, the Heine sights or Novaks are another great choice. Even with these two improvements, it's cheaper than the warrior and it has more flexability for your applications. By the way, from my understanding, the .45 M and P has promise. and I'm not a S and W fan. The jury's not out until I shoot one however.

RyanS
06-28-06, 08:50
Thanks for all the input. I've decided to just back down a for awhile and not think about it. The Annivesary model that I've found is just too expensive for what it is and there is something about the Warrior that I'm not sure about that makes me hesitant to spend the money. I have considered some of the other Kimbers but I've made up my mind that I don't want anything to do with the Series II safety. Maybe something will come along that trips my trigger.

VA_Dinger
06-28-06, 19:30
I'm torn between a Kimber Warrior and a 25th Anniversary. I'm not in LE so whatever I get it will be carried concealed. I've been able to find holsters from Bladetech and Comptac for the Warrior, but I'm concerned about what will possibly become "lugging" the Warrior around because of the added weight and width of the light rail. But I do like the idea of being able to attach a light if necessary. Would I be better off getting the Anniversary model and adding a Dawson rail and night sights? I want to get the best bang for my buck and I've been told that the Warrior is probably the best bang around.

I've got a bad habit of overthinking these things and I'm afraid I've gotten myself so far inside the forest that I can't see the trees. I have no experience with light railed 1911s so I'm asking for some advice. Am I making a big deal out of nothing. I do have a line on a 25th Anniversary, but with the demand for Series I Kimbers, it's a bit expensive.

I carry a SA Pro w/light rail every day. I have not noticed any difference with the light rail. It's a complete non-issue. I simply ordered both an IWB Milt-Sparks VMII and Blade-Tech belt holster for different carry options. As much as I love the 25th Anniversary, go with the Warrior. The light rail just gives you so many more options and versatility.

tomalibrando
06-29-06, 13:41
You're right about the series 2 safeties. I have seen that system fail as well. There are always other options. Thats why the Warrior is a good choice; all the right features. The shorter versions are handier.

corey d
07-16-06, 20:17
i wouldnt try to talk you into getting something besides your two choices. of the two, id get the warrior. as for the holsters, i have a desert warrior and i use a wilson combat "low profile" holster with it. the holster is not made for a light rail, but if you work it enough, it works.

cd

JohnN
07-18-06, 19:31
Due to my experience I would steer you toward the Warrior. I have around 2000 rounds through mine without the first malfunction. But then I have never had any problems with Series 1 Kimbers. The rust issue you may read about on other forums has not been an issue for me or several other buddies with Warriors.

John