PDA

View Full Version : 10mm, 200gr DT or 230gr DT?

Jack-O
03-20-09, 19:09
I want a good deep penetrator load for my forays into the bear and wolf and moose ridden wilds of Montana.

I see double tap has the 200gr WFNGC and 230 WFNGC at 1300 and 1120 fps respectively.

My question is, which will be the superior penetrator in heavy animals, and which would be better if it had to be used against vehicles or barriers? Do i really gain a lot by going with the 230, or is the 200 a superior round all around?\

thanks

Marcus L.
03-20-09, 21:39
The better penetrator will be the 230gr load. It has a slightly better sectional density than the legendary 180gr .357magnum in addition to more mass making it not only a better barrier penetrator, but it will also be better at punching through larger internal bone structures. No question for big game......230gr.

Jack-O
03-20-09, 23:11
The better penetrator will be the 230gr load. It has a slightly better sectional density than the legendary 180gr .357magnum in addition to more mass making it not only a better barrier penetrator, but it will also be better at punching through larger internal bone structures. No question for big game......230gr.

what about for car bodies and glass and such? same thing or does the 200 edge it out due to velocity?

Marcus L.
03-21-09, 06:53
In the FBI protocols, there is only one test in which the lighter and faster load will do better than the heavier load which is against sheet metal. Lighter and faster loads punch through steel better, but when it comes to every other criteria the heavier loads do better. This is why the .357sig does very well against sheet steel, but has almost the exact same performance as a standard pressure 124gr 9mm in the windshield test.

The 230gr load will defeat a much wider variety of likely encounter barriers than a lighter and faster bullet weight.