PDA

View Full Version : Birdcage Removal How Much Pressure?

randyman_ar
03-20-09, 19:47
Am wanting to replace the A2 Birdcage on a DPMS Kitty Kat with a KX3 but I can't get it to budge. How much pressure can one safely apply?

Kimbo
03-20-09, 20:48
Put your upper in a vice with an upper block hooked in it. Tape up the wrench or flash hider so it doesn't mar up the finish. And also make sure the FH isn't pinned or anything like that. It should take some good muscle to loosen it up. Good luck

Artos
03-20-09, 21:32
How are standard flash hiders applied if not with a pin?? Is it just w/ torque or do they use lock tite /opposing nuts of sorts??

I have removed some stubborn 700 barrels from the actions but have not messed with flash suppressors yet. I have hit the action thread with some heat which has helped.

Is installing a vortex something we can do at home with a barrel vise??

Sorry, have nothing to look at right now....my AR is a no taper varmint w/nothing on the end.

randyman_ar
03-20-09, 22:00
Please delete

randyman_ar
03-20-09, 22:00
How are standard flash hiders applied if not with a pin?? Is it just w/ torque or do they use lock tite /opposing nuts of sorts??

I have removed some stubborn 700 barrels from the actions but have not messed with flash suppressors yet. I have hit the action thread with some heat which has helped.

Is installing a vortex something we can do at home with a barrel vise??

Sorry, have nothing to look at right now....my AR is a no taper varmint w/nothing on the end.

I believe the only ones pinned are on barrels under 16 inches where the length of the f/h would make the barrel legal without having to go the SBR route. The KX3 says to apply blue locktite and torque to 30 foot lbs. I am assuming this is standard for all flash hiders. I can't budge the original. Any advice on solutions that will loosen locktite?

Kimbo
03-20-09, 23:32
Heat and then keep cranking on it

Shihan
03-21-09, 07:45
Put your upper in a vice with an upper block hooked in it. Tape up the wrench or flash hider so it doesn't mar up the finish. And also make sure the FH isn't pinned or anything like that. It should take some good muscle to loosen it up. Good luck

I fyou can find a barrel clamp thats safer.

randyman_ar
03-21-09, 22:32
Thanks for the replies. Since I don't have a vice looks like I'll be using a smith. Anyone know of a good one in the central Arkansas area?