PDA

View Full Version : 16" barrel Sabre Defence or CMMG???

firemedic2506
12-21-06, 21:57
Ok I am having trouble deciding on a barrel I think I have it narrowed down to these two, both are 16" CAR length M4 1/7 chrome lined, one is a Sabre Defence From PKfirearms the other is a CMMG.
So far I have an Ameetec Arms complete lower, CMT M4 upper, 551 Eo-tech, and a L2 LED Pentagon Light. I will soon be ordering CMT super duty BCG from Denny's, MI 2 piece Free float forearms, RRA Dominator 2 and other small parts gas tube and such. Thanks for your opinions in advance. Oh by the way this is my first AR

deadwood83
12-21-06, 22:28
Sabre defense. I've heard some people have trouble with CMMG but Sabre makes excellent products.

M4arc
12-22-06, 05:38
I've had nothing but great luck with my CMMG upper over the years. Mine was one of the first ones and it runs like a top and has 8500 rounds through it. It's very reliable.

That said, if Sabre is now making 16" CAR length barrels with a 1:7 twist jump on it! I have two Sabre barrels (16" Middy & 14.5" M4) and I'm extremely impressed with them. I can't speak for other Sabre parts but they do know how to build barrels.

HAMMERDROP
12-30-06, 12:11
I briefly looked at Sabre Defence barrels I know that they are thought highly of but went with CMMG 14.5" 1x7 M4 ...
5 weeks ago I began scouring the U.S.A looking for a new barrel going cheap I had it narrowed down to either a Pre-Ban Wilson Arms barrel from Del-Ton or a Pre-Ban E.R.Shaw barrel from Model1 Sales I saw the CMMG many times which was really what I wanted I just didn't know if I'd have the money right at Christmas as it turned out my wife came to the rescue. Sabre got ruled out early due to price I know I ended up in the ball park but was still trying to be frugal.
CMMG's overall quality seems very good my barrel came with all the goodies standard. Del-Ton and Model1 chrome lining and FH are upgradable options, Del-Ton wont pin a FH on, Model1 will but neither carries a Smith Ent. Vortex. Customer Service at Del-Ton, Bev what a nice lady about 10 years younger than Hector she had no idea what an M4 barrel extension is (she knows now) ...neither did the babe @Model1 but she found out and the answer was 'no'. Again neither were sure if the barrels were Magnetic Particle tested or what the resepective thread dimensions were ...customer service isn't what I based my decision on it was several factors, it was seeing the satisfied customer comments on several web sites and seeing the company and its wares in person @a Gun Show January '06, but CMMG's customer service was excellent.
Sorry I didn't look harder at Sabre Defense to help ease your decision but I looked real hard at CMMG and liked what I saw. Dollar for Dollar after upgrades and services I feel I made out very well with CMMG. Good Luck !

Happy New Year

Michael

Hawkeye
12-30-06, 14:24
Both should do fine, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the Sabre.

BoyScout4Life
01-03-07, 22:17
Sabre Defence makes very good barrels, but like Bushmaster, to many different models and options. Some M4 some not some 1/7 some 1/9 some chromed lined some not etc.etc. Their prices rival Colt's!!!

CMMG, very good product fair price fewer options to confuse the newbie...

C4IGrant
01-03-07, 22:24
Sabre Defence makes very good barrels, but like Bushmaster, to many different models and options. Some M4 some not some 1/7 some 1/9 some chromed lined some not etc.etc. Their prices rival Colt's!!!

CMMG, very good product fair price fewer options to confuse the newbie...

Options are good. SD barrels are no where near as high priced as Colt's and if you buy from a dealer, you can get a better price. They also use the most expensive barrel steel available.

Sabre gets my vote as well.

C4

C4IGrant
01-03-07, 22:26
Sabre defense. I've heard some people have trouble with CMMG but Sabre makes excellent products.

ADCO has said that he has seen some issues with their barrels as well.

C4

arjohnson
01-08-07, 20:34
ADCO has said that he has seen some issues with their barrels as well.

C4

I have a CMMG barrel and could'nt be happier.

CQB
01-12-07, 17:12
Sabre is the way to go. The barrels from Sabre are made from start to finish "in-house". So there are no excuses as to who did what or why its not thier fault. They have stainless barrels that rival Noveske's (not the 17-4! but John wont sell you a barrel, you have to buy his upper for $2k!) They have what I think is the most bitchin 6.5 Grendel line of barrels that you ever did see. "Ordered a stainless 18 SPR 6.5 Grendel fluted"!
And the CV barrels rock. I have seen them shoot for days in Tactical Response classes. Some that have gone 50,000 rounds! No crap. Don't believe me? Call Sabre Defence and ask to speak to Mr. Morgan your self.
If your going for the below Hodgie? I'd trust Sabre's:
http://www.spittingllamas.com/wp-content/19iraqlarge.jpg