PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk AR Triggers

snakedoctor
03-20-09, 23:31
After reading several posts on different forums and doing some research on the ol' google machine I keep seeing that Knights Armament makes "the best" 2 stage match trigger. Now Im not much of a trigger guy so I wanted to ask you guys what company makes "the best" AR triggers out there.

jmart
03-20-09, 23:44
I'm curious what your research was.

"Best" how?

Desertf0x9
03-21-09, 00:23
Geiselle

Iraq Ninja
03-21-09, 00:41
+1 Geiselle

Triggers today are like red dots a decade ago. Many folks thought they were not really needed, could not stand up to punishment, etc. A great trigger can make a big difference at longer ranges.

If your red dot fails, you normally have a backup. Triggers don't. Thus, you need an excellent trigger, not simply a good one. I would trust a Geiselle or a KAC, but not many others.

constructor
03-21-09, 01:00
Geissele is the best without a doubt, smoothest and cleanest breaking but, do you want to drop $279 on a trigger.
Most other 2 stage triggers look alike, I have the G, 2 different Armalite models and a RRA.
The G is around $279 the others around $129, Armalite has a cheaper one at $99 I think, if you tune it as the directions say it's a good trigger for the money.

TUNNEL RAT 33
03-21-09, 02:30
has anyone seen the wilson combat trigger ? ive seen advertisements in magazines but they dont have it listed on their website .

Sabre675
03-21-09, 04:13
Geissele! I have 3. Two SSA's and one SSF! Superb!

snakedoctor
03-21-09, 05:59
I'm curious what your research was.

"Best" how?

There were several websites that either sold the KAC trigger as "the best" or just labeled them as "the best"

From doing a quick search on the KAC trigger I can tell that the trigger and pretty much KAC parts are kind of hard to find.

Artos
03-21-09, 08:05
Is the Jewell not comparable to the Geiselle??

MarkC
03-21-09, 08:52
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8_fc.php

bullitt5172
03-21-09, 14:37
Is the Jewell not comparable to the Geiselle??

I would NOT put the Jewel in the same league as the Geissele. Geissele triggers are hands down the most reliable two-stage trigger in existence. I have (5) that have been used hard for almost two years. Never had a single issue, I won't run an AR with a stock trigger anymore.

Abraxas
03-21-09, 15:14
I can tell that the trigger and pretty much KAC parts are kind of hard to find.

That is because all KAC products seems to be made of unobtainium

stanlyonjr
03-22-09, 07:23
Will any of these triggers fit in a Colt 6920 receiver? If not which will? Thanks!!

MMcfpd
03-22-09, 08:32
Geissele Hi-Speed triggers are available for large pin Colts. I'll ditto the bunch endorsing the Geissele triggers, my favorite being their $170 SSA (nonadjustable two stage - not yet available for large pin Colts).

I've never used the KAC, but I have read that their longevity is poor after ~3000 rounds. Anyone know about that?

Artos
03-22-09, 08:35
I would NOT put the Jewel in the same league as the Geissele. Geissele triggers are hands down the most reliable two-stage trigger in existence. I have (5) that have been used hard for almost two years. Never had a single issue, I won't run an AR with a stock trigger anymore.

Thanks, my Jewell is on a las baer varminte and have to say it is the nuts. Never had any problems, but it does not get treated like an M4 set up. Strictly a hunting / fun range gun.

However, just got in a rra lower with the nm 2 stage but need the uppper to start evaluating.

Robb Jensen
03-22-09, 08:39
IMHO Geissele is the finest and is why I use on in my 3gun rifle. Unlike some triggers, I can shoot surplus ammo or any other ammo with hard primers without any problems.

Derek_Connor
03-22-09, 08:50
IMHO Geissele is the finest and is why I use on in my 3gun rifle. Unlike some triggers, I can shoot surplus ammo or any other ammo with hard primers without any problems.

I found this as well.

I've had a DMR since they were released, and I was lucky enough to get one of his "SSA" (i believe that is what they are called) the non adjustable 2stage trigger.

Minimal travel, once you hit the stack, its a extremely clean break, no mush. And the reset is extremely positive.

On top of that, Bill Geissele is top notch people.

sinister
03-22-09, 11:01
For about 95% of fast/up-close shooting with a Carbine a tuned GI one-stage trigger really can't be beat. The JP trigger is even better.

Once you start discriminate small-target shooting at 200 yards or more (with optics) you may want a fine-tuned 2-stage trigger.

Bill Geissele's triggers are the ones to beat. When you make only one product it's hard to argue when you put all your input into making them right.

The Knight's has a very good, crisp break, however it has a heavy hammer with a relatively long lock time compared to others and it may be tougher to find repair parts. At the Army Marksmanship Unit we found we replaced them every 3,000 rounds (basically when you got a new barrel we replaced the trigger -- which can get kinda pricey). The current M110 Sniper Rifle has trigger problems out-of-the-box.

The Jewell is relatively expensive and there's no way I'd take it to combat. The trigger and hammer pins can walk out as there's really no good way of securing them. The standard hammer spring can be replaced with a GI spring to help lock time. I've owned three or four of them that I gave away to new and junior shooters.

Anything else would be fine for hobby/range shooting and groundhogs and prairie dogs, and there are many that are fine for the price break and to improve your shooting.

There aren't a whole lot (like the Geissele and Knight) that I'd endorse for real-world combat.

CaptainDooley
03-22-09, 11:52
Sinister - that was the exact info I needed. For a HD rifle, a tuned GI trigger works fine... Since search keeps timing out on me... Do you have a link to instuctions on doing said tuning?

BAC
03-22-09, 14:22
Am I the only one with a preference for single-stage over two-stage triggers? I'd be happy if I knew how to tune my GI trigger, or who to send it to for tuning.

-B

1BadBushmaster
03-22-09, 17:33
Are these trigger's worth the coin though?

daved
03-22-09, 17:43
Am I the only one with a preference for single-stage over two-stage triggers? I'd be happy if I knew how to tune my GI trigger, or who to send it to for tuning.

-B

For tuning, Bill Springfield - google him. Excellent trigger, quick turn-around and reasonable prices.

Solomon
03-22-09, 17:58

-B

I like single stage, too. I install Timney triggers on my builds. For my Colt 6920, I will outsource the tuning of the stock trigger to Bill Springfield (http://www.triggerwork.net/).

Blowby
03-22-09, 19:01
I had Bill work on my AR and my Sig 45. :cool: Very happy and very affordable. Nice thing is he's about a 1-1/2 hr drive so I dropped them off for the pixie dust and went out to lunch. Picked up both firearms and off to the range. Perdictable, consisant and a clean break. I highly recommend Bill.

nplunger
03-23-09, 00:32
has anyone seen the wilson combat trigger ? ive seen advertisements in magazines but they dont have it listed on their website .

I have been searching for info on these triggers as well we should have a review available as soon as they hit the market.