PDA

View Full Version : Improving V02 max via Powerlung

WillBrink
03-21-09, 08:45
For those specifically looking to improve VO2max, the PowerLung gizmo appears to be effective. I have not used it, but I do know various coaches and athletes that do, and it's been popular with them. The maker also supplies some data on "Respiratory Muscle Training" to support their claims here:

http://www.powerlung.com/region/us/information/research/

It appears this gizmo has benefit for those looking to improve VO2max. The studies make for interesting reading

Littlelebowski
03-21-09, 09:00
Why not just work on underwater swimming? I have extensive experience in underwater swimming and can attest to how effective it is.

WillBrink
03-21-09, 09:08
Why not just work on underwater swimming? I have extensive experience in underwater swimming and can attest to how effective it is.

Powerlung is being used to improve underwater swimming. It's an additional tool in the tool box. It can also be done anyplace, where as an open pool is not always an option. It's improving V02 max in elite athletes above what they were able to achieve during normal training, and is also a great rehab device.

Yojimbo
03-21-09, 13:56
Check out the vid linked below to see some brutal snorkel training with Wanderlei Silva. :eek:

It looks like it would smoke you big time and also increase VO2 max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMoQwOqqzYw

Littlelebowski
03-21-09, 17:31
Powerlung is being used to improve underwater swimming. It's an additional tool in the tool box. It can also be done anyplace, where as an open pool is not always an option. It's improving V02 max in elite athletes above what they were able to achieve during normal training, and is also a great rehab device.

Sounds like you're selling the danged things.

WillBrink
03-21-09, 18:19
Sounds like you're selling the danged things.

I have no association what so ever to the company and have never met anyone from the company. I was impressed however with their research, feedback has been quite good, etc. Just passing along what I considered potentially useful info. If I start selling them (not likely...) I will let you know. :D

WS6
03-21-09, 21:19
I have always been a fan of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for cardiopulmonary enhancement.