PDA

View Full Version : Check-Mate Magazines

JonInWA
03-21-09, 09:09
Since both recently and currently we've had several threads on the forum here that concentrated on discussions regarding the relative qualities and problems perceived with Check-Mate magazines, I thought that it might be helpful to post a thread that might flesh out the discussions.

As many of you know, I'm a former field grade Army officer-I've been out since 1992. By that time, the Beretta M9 had pretty much been issued down to the combat support and combat service support level units, as the Army had finally issued it throughout to both TOE and TDA units. I was the XO of a CSS Group at the time, and as I had a proprietary interest in guns, I had a detailed look at the first group of 10 that came into my Group. To the best of my recollection, at that time the magazines provided were Beretta manufactured-and they were fairly scarce, and jealously guarded by unit armorers, to the point of not being issued during field training exercise deployments for fear of loss/damage.

During my exposure, use, and qualification with the M9 during my military service, I never had any problems with it. I wasn't particularly happy with the hemisphere-and dot front and rear sight configuration, and I replaced the grips on my PDW with a set of Uncle Mike's Craig Spegel-designed rubber grips. At the time, I preferred my Ruger P85 and subsequently my SIG-Sauer P220 in 9mm, but I never had any problems with the M9. I maintained it with Army issue Break-Free, which worked just fine.

I've subsequently owned several Beretta 92 pistols-a Police Special 92D Centurion, a 92F Compact Type M, and my current 92D. On my current 92D, the only changes that I've made have been to replace the stock grips with first a set of Uncle Mike's grips (as I did with my original military M9), and then with a set of Falcon Industries' Ergo Extreme Grips. My 92D came with a set of excellent Trijicon sights as OEM sights, and despite thier 1996 installation, they're still glowing just fine (as well as having an excellent day sight picture). The gun came with two OEM Beretta 10-round magazines, and due to some judicious horse-trading in conjunction with the purchase, 3 MDS 15 round magazines; I got the gun brand new in 2006, although it had been manufactured in 1996 (the DAO configuration and the replacement of its original 15 round magazines with 10 reound magazines undoubtably significantly hindered its salability).

In 2007, I became aware of Check-Mate magazines. Previously, I'd heard of them, but fell into the anecdotal camp of believing that they were problem-inducing junk and to be avoided at all costs. At that timeframe, Jacquelyn Vieweg, the Business Development Manager of Check-Mate Industries decided to make a presence on both the Firing Line and the Beretta forums and discuss and clear the misconceptions regarding the magazines, and also provided samples to several of us on the Beretta forum for testing and review. I received two of these magazines, one with a carbon steel spring, and one with their at that time experimental stainless-steel spring. Both were 12/05 dated magazines, and were dry film finished; I've subsequently been provided with two additional magazines, both with stainless-steel springs. All of these magazines have performed flawlessly, and been used for IDPA, carry, and steel plate competitions. Two of them have been kept continuously loaded since 2007. Based on my experiences with them, Check-Mate susequently provided me with several generations of their new 8 round 1911 magazines, which I and our local IDPA club helped them to beta/field test; Check-Mate has recently decided to sponsor 6 of us in our IDPA shooting.

So much for background. In March of 2007, on the Beretta forum, Jackie provided the following information:

"You are correct there were a number of reports that the springs used in our magazines were defective. The reason for this belief was because; when the magazines first started to fail, the common belief was that the springs were the problem. Because of this belief a large number of troops who experienced problems attempted to fix it by disassembling the magazines, removing the springs, and stretching them out (based on actual testimony given by the troops). This ultimately caused the springs to lose their strength. It was discovered when we received a number of the malfunctioning magazines for evaluation that several of the springs were removed to be cleaned or stretched and were put back upside down...Check-Mate has a number of tests done on the springs to test the spring quality, strength and durability. Each test concluded that the springs were of superior quality and were in fact durable and reliable. Even a 30 day preload test was conducted on a number of our magazines; each one passed."

"CMI was NOT the lowest bidder for the 2000 9mm gov't contract; we were awarded it because we has successfully fulfulled previous contracts for the gov't for the 9mm dating back to 1996, classifying us as a low risk manufacturer. As far as a bare minumum, when a specification calls for a particular metal, spring, finish, etc., all of these materials must meet the specifications. To insure that all the materials are in fact to the specs, and not cheap, all materials used must be certified and pass a series of tests. All of the materials that we used were purchases to meet or exceed the government required specifications. Of the materials we purchased, all were prime materials from domestic mills, they were certified and all passed the gov't tests."

Earlier, in a January thread on the Firing Line, Jackie specified, "You are correct about sand being the case for the 9mm's malfunction. The government 's specifications for the magazines called for us to use a heavy phosphate finish. Unfortunately the sand in Iraq is unlike any around here; it is so fine it is actually a lot like talcum powder which easily embedded within the phosphate finish. We did a number of tests and concluded that the dry film lubricant used today would be a much smoother finish reducing any friction caused by the sand...no one anticipated the effects this particular sand was going to have on the magazines when mixed with the phosphate finish. But the truth is that the magazines were made to the technical data package. This was the same data package that Beretta was making their magazines to when they had the government contract; the only difference was in the finish. The government decided they wanted a more corrosion resistant finish than the black oxide; this is why the specifications called for the phosphate finish. When the malfunctioning magazines were sent back to us, ninteen magazines were test fired. The magazines were fired in all attitudes, by that I mean 90 degrees left and 180 degrees (upside down). They were fired rapidly and in single burst, and in a number of other ways. We could not recreate the problems. It wasn't until Picatinny Arsenal brought back samples of the sand from Iraq and set up a test chamber were we then able to understand what was causing the magazines to fail."

Subsequent to that determination, Jackie related that in a 90 day period, Check-Mate halted production, produced and got approved the dry film finish, and produced 64,000 magazines.

Unfortunately, the military has not purged the previous phosphate-finished magazines from both the system or the theater, so the old magazines continue to be intermixed with the dry-film ones at the unit level, perpetuating the problem-both to troops in the field and to Check-Mate's reputation.

I hope this information helps the discussions.

Best, Jon

Jack_Stroker
03-21-09, 10:10
That's a very good post with very interesting information. I appreciate you taking the time to write that and address the topic.

R Moran
03-21-09, 14:59
Thats what I said...;):D

Bob

JonInWA
03-22-09, 08:54
I prefer to use the Check-Mate magazines (in their post 12/05 dry-film incarnation) in my Beretta, for several reasons: First, the steel hardened baseplate is superior to the current polymer one that Beretta uses (at least in their commercial magazines-their MDS magazines use a metal basepad {as in the original Beretta commercial and in the Beretta M9 government contract magazines}, but the finish of the MDS tubes seems slightly inferior to that of their Beretta-labeled compatriots-operationally, they seem to be quite equivalent); Second, I like the dry-film finish-I think that it provides better protectiveness against corrosion and internally and externally lubricates better than mere blued steel; Third, I think that their springing is at least as good, and quite possibly better than the springs Beretta uses, and Fourth, they're easily and consistantly available directly from Check-Mate at an excellent price.

I have never experienced ANY hiccups or operational failures with these Check-Mate magazines-nor can I recall anything but universal praise and satisfaction from any of the Beretta forum members who were provided samples for testing. Then again, I've never experienced any hiccups or operational issues with either my Beretta or MDS magazines either.

I've heard nothing but good things about the newer Beretta sand-resistant PVD coated magazines-I think they're excellent, but relatively expensive, and arguably unnecessary.

Best, Jon

Rinspeed
03-22-09, 16:47
I have no experience with the Check-Mate Beretta mags but their 1911 mags are first rate and in fact one of OEMs for Colt.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-22-09, 18:31
are the check mate mags the USGI beretta m9 mags that CDNN sells for like 16 bucks? if so i just bought three.

Turnkey11
03-22-09, 20:02
I use the solid film finished checkmate M9 mags, no issues. When I was an armorer I found the older parkerized ones had some issues and did my best to keep the two types segregated for training (parkerized) and duty (solid film) use.

JonInWA
03-22-09, 21:04
Mr.Goodtimes-You MIGHT be getting Check-Mate magazines-if so, they're rollmarked on the left tube side with "CHECK-MATE IND. INC., WYANDANCH, N.Y. U.S.A."

To the best of my knowledge, in addition to Beretta and Check-Mate, there has been at least one, and possibly two (or more) other companies that produced M9 magazines under contract for the government.

I would recommend going with either post 12/05 dated Check-Mates or Beretta/MDS manufactured magazines.

Best, Jon

Mr.Goodtimes
03-22-09, 21:52
Mr.Goodtimes-You MIGHT be getting Check-Mate magazines-if so, they're rollmarked on the left tube side with "CHECK-MATE IND. INC., WYANDANCH, N.Y. U.S.A."

To the best of my knowledge, in addition to Beretta and Check-Mate, there has been at least one, and possibly two (or more) other companies that produced M9 magazines under contract for the government.

I would recommend going with either post 12/05 dated Check-Mates or Beretta/MDS manufactured magazines.

Best, Jon

Jon, FWIW, the description of the magazines i ordered form CDNN were:

"Beretta 92F/M9 9mm 15rd M9M
Metal Bottom Mag New
Factory"

so im going to presume that these are either MDS or beretta? i was tinking they were USGI for some reason, may have gotten that mixed up with something else.

cathellsk
03-22-09, 23:47
Jon, FWIW, the description of the magazines i ordered form CDNN were:

"Beretta 92F/M9 9mm 15rd M9M
Metal Bottom Mag New
Factory"

so im going to presume that these are either MDS or beretta? i was tinking they were USGI for some reason, may have gotten that mixed up with something else.

The mags you ordered are the Airtronics mags. I got them from them awhile back. They are good mags but the finish scratches just when you look at it wrong. They are the latest contract mags. They are marked on the left side with 9MM AIRTRONIC SERVICES, INC., ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL USA and on the right side with ASSY 9346413-MFR1C5Q6 9/2006.

JonInWA
03-23-09, 18:56
Airtronics won the government contract for M9 magazines in 2006. Apparently there is currently some controversy regarding the corrosion resistance of the springs, compared to what the government specified and contracted for. I believe that the Airtronics magazines are using Check-Mate's hardened steel baseplate, either through license or purchase from Check-Mate.

I have yet to personally see and/or handle one of the Airtronics magazines. My preferences remain as stated previously.

Best, Jon

87GN
03-24-09, 17:44
Even when we thoroughly cleaned our Check-Mate mags immediately before a range trip, they would choke. I cleaned some of my CM mags (I'm out now) and went to the range with my 92FS. They caused FTFs. I'm no longer in Iraq, and the dust level was pretty low that day.

When my platoon got 7 each of the Beretta PVD mags all our problems went away instantly.

I myself never had problems because I never used the CM mags. The armorer gave me some of his precious few Beretta mags from the start because he felt that I might need my sidearm more than others in the regiment.

I think very highly of the M9 but do not hold the CM mags in very high esteem. They were so bad that you could hold them upside down and shake the mag, and rounds would simply fall out.

JonInWA
03-24-09, 18:51
It sounds like the Check-Mate magazines you had were the older, heavy phosphate finished magazines, whose finish would literally trap the fine Iraqi sand and allow malfunctions like those you experienced to occur. Weakened springs (caused by stretching, ravanges of time without replacement, or a combination of both) would have exacerbated problems.

I think that you would have found that the later dry-film Check-Mate magazines would have provided the same performance as the Beretta PVD magazines.

The Beretta PVD magazine is an excellent magazine, but it's much more expensive than the comparably performing Check-Mate dry-film magazine, which might be of some relevance if you have to personally buy your magazines.

I'm not sure (but I'm curious to find out) if on their PVD magazines if Beretta is also equipping them with their titanium nitrided magazine springs (discernable by their gold tone color); according to Beretta, these springs both reduce friction and have excellent anti-corrosive properties; they're also available from BUSA as an accessory item at $20 a pop, (including the follower). They also offer a similarly treated recoil spring (with guiderod) for about $29; I may spring for one of those (every pun intended) when my current carbon steel recoil spring is due for replacement.

Best, Jon