PDA

View Full Version : Load bearing belt/suspenders still good?

Mr.Goodtimes
03-21-09, 11:01
Hey yall, i got an old load bearing web belt and suspenders i got when i was a kid, im considering upgrading to an SKD universal chest right, however, im wondering, is it really worth it? is it going to be that much more comfy/ergonomical?

I just bought a beretta 92fs, so, i will be adding a holster and four pistol mags to the belt. it currently holds four AR mags, a knife, and a pouch with extra bateries.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2s0eoh3.jpg

i dont see these things around too much anymore, are they not the tacticool thing anymore or is there a reason why i dont see much of them these days?

Heavy Metal
03-21-09, 11:07
I prefer H-Type suspenders.

soldiersystems
03-21-09, 11:38
That is pretty old school but the concept is still sound and a lot more comfortable these days. Several options exist all the way from the high end of a Crye Blast Belt to more economical solutions like BFG's SOC-C belt and suspenders.

You are still going to want to run a belt for your sidearm and many folks want to add things like multi-tools/fixed blad knives, first-aid kits, pistol mag pouches, and dump pouches. Once you get to that point, it is worth looking at a padded belt that is more ergonomic than an old issue pistol belt.
A decent set of suspenders helps.

This can easily be used in concert with a chest rig and I find the two styles complimentary.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-21-09, 11:49
That is pretty old school but the concept is still sound and a lot more comfortable these days. Several options exist all the way from the high end of a Crye Blast Belt to more economical solutions like BFG's SOC-C belt and suspenders.

You are still going to want to run a belt for your sidearm and many folks want to add things like multi-tools/fixed blad knives, first-aid kits, pistol mag pouches, and dump pouches. Once you get to that point, it is worth looking at a padded belt that is more ergonomic than an old issue pistol belt.
A decent set of suspenders helps.

This can easily be used in concert with a chest rig and I find the two styles complimentary.

soldiersystems, thanks a lot for your insight! i think im going to go ahead an order a chest rig a long with an updated suspenders/belt setup.

markm
03-21-09, 12:14
You still see regular old deuce gear a lot if you watch the military channel. I've seen it used in BUDS, and the 07 Best Ranger competition.

I run it with an H harness. I can carry a lot of ammo and yet my chest is still slick for prone shooting.

SeriousStudent
03-21-09, 13:44
I still have the old cotton H harness and cartridge belt I was issued a long time ago. I know that the new stuff is really nice. But there is something to be said for muscle memory under stress, especially for an old fossil like me. It's got that bleached green look, it's so old.

Besides, the butt pack can hold a an entire day's supply of Geritol, and I hate having to constantly run back to the truck......;)

Mr.Goodtimes
03-22-09, 18:39
i just ordered a SKD universal tactical chest rig yesterday along with three extra mags for my beretta 92, a HSGI vertical holster and a maxpedition anemone pouch that ill use to store my multi tool and some extra bateries. i feel like this should be a pretty solid setup... ittl also give me the ability to carry even more mags as i can use the vest in conjunction with my belt and suspenders. the SKD rig looks really nice and i cant wait to get it and get my beretta.... this week is going to be a long one!!!