PDA

View Full Version : getting castle nut off of 6920?

Wilco
03-21-09, 15:18
I want to add a DD sling plate to my 6920 but cant get the castle nut off, even with my cn wrench. I tried to search the forums, but no luck. any ideas?

Robb Jensen
03-21-09, 15:32
The nicest ones for mil-spec sized receiver extensions is made by Ken Elmore of www.specializedarmament.com

C4IGrant
03-21-09, 16:08
I want to add a DD sling plate to my 6920 but cant get the castle nut off, even with my cn wrench. I tried to search the forums, but no luck. any ideas?

Un-stake it (first). Then get a good quality spanner wrench and put some ass into it. ;)

C4

Jeff_M
03-21-09, 17:15
You can drill out the stakes. The nut will then need to be restaked.

For what it is worth, I replaced the end plate on my first Colt with the burnsed loop end plate by DD and regreted it later. If you want to run a sling at the end of the lower receiver, I think you are best off getting one of the clamp on mounts by Daniel Defense, Tango Down, or Midwest Industries. Then leave the castle nut as it is.

Col_Crocs
03-21-09, 20:34
For what it is worth, I replaced the end plate on my first Colt with the burnsed loop end plate by DD and regreted it later.

Why???

bkb0000
03-21-09, 20:39
how are you wrenching on it? a breaker bar or just bashing your wrench with a sledge will do it. make sure you hold the wrench on good when you whack it or you can **** up the prongs.

deserteaglexxx
03-21-09, 22:15
Just took mine off to put the magpul asap on it wasn't staked. Just ue a good wrench and put some beef into it.

Wilco
03-22-09, 10:12
I'll look to unstake it. I've been trying to get this thing off, it's like it's welded on there!

Thanks for the help fellas.

Magsz
03-22-09, 14:30
The staking really makes it very difficult to remove.

It really does require a hell of a lot of muscle to get it off.

I had to use a lead pipe as a lever with the wrench inserted into it in order to break the staking and get the nuts off of my LMT lowers.

Jeff_M
03-22-09, 20:18
Why???

The reason the nut is staked is that it is mean to be permanent just like the staking on a carrier key. People are having such a hard time getting the nut off because it is not suppose to come off.

Once the stakes are gone, the nut will stay on just fine also long as you don’t shoot your gun. I tried blue loctite and then red loctite, neither worked. I then had to re-stake the nut to keep it on the gun.

Another problem with the DD burnsed loop is that I kept knocking my fingers on the loop when manipulated the charging handle. The loop sits too high as compared to other receiver end plates and the clamp on style sling mounts.

I don’t use a single single point sling anymore, so this is not an issue for me. I used a single point sling with the DD Burnsed loop years ago when I first got into ARs prior to deploying and shooting them vocationally. The single point sling works OK, but after trying to make it work in the real world, I found the liabilities outweighed the assets. I know have Viking Tactics slings on all my guns mounted to the rear of the stock and the rear of the handguard.