PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Cleaners

M4Fundi
03-22-09, 04:24
I saw some very long pipecleaners at the gun show that were M16/AR15 specific. What are these used for...the gas system? Do I really need these?

QuickStrike
03-22-09, 04:49
No need to clean the gas tube, it blows out crud with every shot anyway. Waste of money IMO.

Might be useful if it can fit into the firing pin channel though...

bkb0000
03-22-09, 04:55
i've never cleaned a gas tube, and the consensus i've always gotten from people who know more than i do is that the gas tube should never be effed with until it's replaced altogether. it's like a chimney- start poking around in there and expect to get shitted on. the problem is there's no way to completely scrub through it without pulling it from the gas block- and if you're jamming a pipe cleaner in there from the receiver end you're just gonna push whatever shits in there toward the gas block.

regular pipe cleaners are great for general cleaning and lubing- i use 'em for cleaning/lubing the firing pin shaft in the bolt, scrubbing out the carrier key, i even use 'em go scrape out the ring of shit that builds up in the barrel extension. the pipe cleaners with the nylon bristles are especially good for cleaning.

pipe cleaners and q-tips are essential tools, IMO.. but not for the gas tube.

Iraqgunz
03-22-09, 06:03
A little story about pipe cleaners. One of our TCN's who uses an M4 was always sticking pipe cleaners into his carrier key and apparently not doing proper maintenance. When I disassembled his bolt, his entire area under the extractor was filled with crud and residue from the pipe cleaners.

Moral of the story is that pipe cleaners really serve no purpose and he should have been doing proper maintenance. I would save the money and buy something useful.

M4Fundi
03-22-09, 12:25
Thanks Alot!

RudyN
03-22-09, 16:32
Pipe cleaners are fine for cleaning your pipe and that is what I use them for.

tweakmeister
03-22-09, 18:34
The original Ar10 video, produced by Armalite, clearly states the DI system is "self cleaning" - the pipe cleaners are a solution in search of a problem.

M4Fundi
03-25-09, 01:37
OKIE DOKIE, I just kept having guys tell me be sure and get some pipe cleaners and I didn't want to be the only one with out:confused: Thanks

chadbag
03-25-09, 01:41
Hey those are good to use to clean around your Dillon press -- get rid of powder that drops into nooks and crannies etc

nickdrak
03-25-09, 01:58
Stuffing pipe cleaners into your gas key & gas tube only potentially causes problems.

As was already stated, pipe cleaners are great for cleaning your tobacco pipes, not your AR-15's