PDA

View Full Version : 50 BZO Help needed

Hootiewho
03-22-09, 18:10
OK guys, a friend and I were having a discussion on what distance is best to zero an AR15. All the training that I have had, all the instructors advocated a 50/200 yard zero. I first picked this up from Pat Rogers.

He was saying that he felt that a 25 yard zero was best. I did a search on the topic and didn't turn up much, but my search-foo isn't that great. Does anyone have any links, info, of insight into which distance is better and why?

FWIW, the distance that most shooting would be done by either of us with an AR is about 300 yards.

Thanks in Advance

Abraxas
03-22-09, 18:15
The distance that is best for a zero depends on your intended use and distance that you are shooting.

RogerinTPA
03-22-09, 18:18
This thread may help. Complete with trajectory graphs for 25, 50 and 100 yard zero.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27585

Failure2Stop
03-22-09, 18:22
A 25 meter (or even 36 yard) zero is insufficient to ensure performance at longer distances. Confirmation at distance is critical if you are serious about use at distance.

If your realistic threat profile places the tharget at closer than 200 yards, a 100 yard/meter zero will probably be the easiest and most efficient zero, and it is incredibly easy to use at close range.

I personally prefer a 200 yard zero as it is easy to use at close range but gives a little more point blank range. Also I have used it for most of my training for the better part of 10 years, so it is pretty much ingrained into me as far as hold-overs are concerned.

Blake
03-22-09, 22:02
I would highly recommend not using the 25 yd/m zero. The trajectory throughout the effective distances of .223/5.56 round is jacked up when you zero at 25yd POA/POI. If you use a 100 yd zero, you can expect to be low about 1.5 to 2 inches at 25yds. Then it is important to move back to 100 yds to verify and fine tune. I just returned from a Vicker's course, and if I recall correctly he highly discourages the 25 yd zero. It gives pretty drastic variances of impact from 0-300yds.