PDA

View Full Version : Rear buis w/tritium or without?

MAUSER202
03-22-09, 19:34
I want to get a folding rear buis for my LMT. I like the Troy that came on my S&W, and want to get that one,and was wondering if the tritium version was worth the extra $46.

Kimbo
03-22-09, 19:40
Nope. I bought a $50 tritium front sight post and it was a waste of money IMO. The tritium was so small and it seems pointless. A rear sight with tritium seems like too much of a distraction. YMMV

thopkins22
03-22-09, 19:44
If you're using the rear sight properly, tritium won't help. Tritium up front makes a lot of sense, but I noticed my groups got a little bigger, probably because it's a little harder to focus on the tip of the front sight when there's this green glowy bit beneath the tip.

MAUSER202
03-22-09, 19:53
Thanks

MMcfpd
03-22-09, 19:58
Night sights are helpful (for me) on a handgun. But it's a different situation on an AR. I put some tritium sights on an A1 and, as already noted, the front sight's tritium is hard to make out and, while you use the aperture ring when shooting nose-to-charging-handle, you're not going to be able to make use of those two little tritium dots on the rear sight because they're way too close (if you can even see them).

skyugo
03-22-09, 22:44
seems like a tritium front sight is a good idea.. front tritium isn't that great either?
rear you should be able to index your nose to the charging handle and be lookin through the aperature. i don't think you want extra light hitting your eyeball.

damn i've gotta take a night class.

esskay
03-23-09, 00:39
Don't have tritium on my ARs but I do have tritium inserts on an 870 and a Benelli M4. Granted these are 18"+ barrels with the front sight all the way at the tip (vs an AR with a shorter sight radius), but I must say that I can honestly barely see the tritium on those two guns... Plus once you switch on your Surefire you really can't see the tritium at all anyway, you'll just see the silhouette of your sights.

Once you do some night matches or shoots you will quickly realize that red dots (and lasers) rule!

C4IGrant
03-23-09, 08:12
I want to get a folding rear buis for my LMT. I like the Troy that came on my S&W, and want to get that one,and was wondering if the tritium version was worth the extra $46.

No. Do not get a rear with Tritium.

C4

MAUSER202
03-23-09, 19:40
Thanks again, some real good points. I will get it without tritium.