PDA

View Full Version : Good survival book

Bread is People
03-22-09, 20:25
Greetings fellow survivalists, as someone who has been interested in and honed a few skills in wilderness survival over the last 2 and a half years, I would definitally recomend the book SURVIVE! by Les Stroud, the former host of the show on Discovery channel called Survivorman. It is hands down the most "realist" look at the subject and the most well organized. I first thought it was some kind of gimmic or money making excuse, but it is definitely worth reading if you take this subject seriously or just like to be informed.

Just my 2 cents, anyone else read it?

Ziptie
03-27-09, 22:30
I would also like to recommend the book "6 ways in, 12 ways out" organized and published by the U.S Rescue and Special Operations Group. Rock solid group of gentlemen of the highest order, and the book is a no-frills goldmine of the absolute essentials. http://usrsog.org/

Ziptie

HCPrepper
03-28-09, 02:25
I just finished reading Survive by Less Stroud, trully a great read !!! Has lots of tips and keeps you well interested throughout the whole book, well put together. I would highly recommend this book be added to a collection. Got mine through Amazon Books for a mear $12.99

Curry
03-28-09, 03:42
I read it back when the book came out. I thought it was a great book, lots of ideas, and humor to keep you going. This reminds me I need to go back and skim over it again. Thanks!!

WillBrink
03-28-09, 10:40
I just finished reading Survive by Less Stroud, trully a great read !!! Has lots of tips and keeps you well interested throughout the whole book, well put together. I would highly recommend this book be added to a collection. Got mine through Amazon Books for a mear $12.99

What does Less have to say on firearms? Unlike some, several of his shows have him with a firearm. :)

dmanflynn
04-02-09, 07:17
What does Less have to say on firearms? Unlike some, several of his shows have him with a firearm. :) I noticed that too, one time i think he had a pump action rifle, almost like an older Winchester. I could be wrong though, its the episode where him and his friend are out there and he lets his GPS die and has to give off signal shots.

texasrangers
04-10-09, 00:55
There's at least three episodes where he has a gun. One with a friend in the Canadien wilderness I believe he had a shotgun and his friend had some type of carbine - I thought it might have been a pump. When he's in the ice covered arctic he had a nice bolt gun for protection against polar bears. And in another arctic episode that was in the summer he had a shotgun. Looked like some kind of mossberg camo 12 gauge. I am definitely going to get this book. I am a huge Les Stroud fan and I'm ashamed I'd never heard of it.

kihnspiracy
04-17-09, 20:50
Just finished reading it last night. An excellent book. Lots of great tips. Very good pictures.

T-Dog
04-17-09, 21:43
The SAS survival guide is packed full of great info.

N2CH_556
05-18-09, 03:12
I passed the Les Stroud book in Borders (?) the other day. Should have grabbed it. Next time. Next time.

:D

Mark71
05-18-09, 12:08
I just picked it up and it is an excellent book. It is easy to read with a ton of good information.

a1fabweld
09-02-09, 22:39
There's the book "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles. It's a fictional story about surviving an economic collapse (rioting, looters, long term survival, making stuff from nothing, guns & ammo, etc...). It's pretty informative & entertaining. There is an index referencing pages in the book to find water filters, AR-15, etc... LOL.

Edward Hogan
09-26-09, 11:07
About the best basic book I have ever found on the subject is the USAF Survival Handbook. Cost about $14 at Barnes & Noble.

Survivalism and Survivalist mean different things to different people. I read Rawles' online Triple-Ought which was the Patriots predecessor; was not impressed with any of his conjecture. I was critical of the guy back in the mid-90s when he was selling rifles with the only purpose being thwarting ATF registration. Anyone who bought his high-priced crap with 120yr old technology and metallurgy, just to avoid filling out BATF paperwork, deserves what they paid for. Anyone who thinks a car-load of survivalist buddies is going to blast out of Chicago inside of 45mins of the balloon going up is a simpleton. Finally, I guess everybody needs specially altered CB or FRF radios and a Barrett 50 semi-auto to be a "prepared survivalist"... Yeah, right.

Yet, there is Big Money to be made pandering to those who cannot see the writing on the walls, and are willing to pay for what others say they ought to have.

Mel Tappan's writings, especially Survival Guns is still applicable. His concept or working guns and defensive weapons still makes lots of sense. Kurt Saxon's books detail more than any other source (besides early Mother Earth News) the Self-Sufficient will power and capability any survivalist needs. No one has ever written a better Survival primer than Bruce Clayton's Life After Doomsday. The ultimate "survival" book though, has to be Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny who was in the employ of Oakridge National Laboratory when the book was written and this explains why it is in Public Domain and can be downloaded free on the net (ki4u.com etc).

I see more and more Rambo mentalities among "survivalists" these days. In my book, survivalism is about relocating away from the line of fire, into an area with potential for self-sufficient living. These days though, many people think they're going to "survive" beaucoup firefights and that Ramboing along with an AK, body armor, and 500rds of ammunition with a few pounds of other gear in a backpack is going to deliver them. An interesting premise, but no less a fantasy than Rawles' book.

It all comes down to staying Warm, Dry, Hydrated, Fed, and capable of self-defense; pretty much in that order. Those who think they will make a last minute Bug-Out, and that guns are more important than food and water filters, are living in some other reality.

maximus83
10-24-09, 17:16
Good and informed post, Ed Hogan. I do think there's some validity in preparing for both short-term disasters (in which a "bug-out" kit including firearms) could be useful, and long-term survival situations, which takes a different kind of mindset and involves areas you don't even have to think about for the short-term cases (such as growing food). But on your larger point, I couldn't agree more: a lot of folks seem to think that building up a cache of weapons and ammo constitutes "planning ahead", when in reality, self-defense is likely to be the least of your concerns in a longer term situation.

WillBrink
10-25-09, 10:19
So what does he say on firearms?! Just curious...:cool:

j3hill
12-16-09, 08:40
Call me old fashioned or un-cool, but I just have a shelf full of "liberated" FM's and TM's. And in my BOB I have a copy of ST31-180 and FM 4-25.
Infact some of these I need to throw away. Why in the hell do I have "the M-60 in the automatic rifle role" ? Why did I keep some of this shit?

MIKE G
12-16-09, 11:01

M4arc
12-16-09, 11:16
Thanks guys, I'm going to ask for Les's book for Christmas. My son and I love watching his show so I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.

Atg336
02-04-10, 21:14
Wow! I'm glad I checked this thread. Great suggestions from everyone. I also watch Les Stroud whenever Survivorman is on. Will be getting his book and the others mentioned by Ed.

I'm doing research for a book about survival after a doomsday scenerio, and up until now, I've been scrounging around for odd bits of info.
Don't want to hijack, but I'm looking for any tested urban survival techniques and general detection avoidance in rural and city neighborhoods. Any additional info is well appreciated from anyone.

Von Rheydt
05-07-10, 19:31
The go to guy for many of the younger outdoor, survival, bushcraft experts is a fellow called Mors Kochanski. He has been at the business end of living outdoors on purpose rather than by accident for many years.

Mors lives up in Canada where he runs two or three courses a year. For those of you who read survival and outdoor living books he has written some excellent books and pamphlets on the subject. I can only recomend them as a must have for the serious students bookshelf.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517YM5T11SL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Bushcraft-Outdoor-Skills-Wilderness-Survival/dp/1551051222

If you check you tube there are also some videos of the old man sharing his knowledge.

He came to the UK around two years back and the course he ran was full within an hour of being announced.

SeriousStudent
05-07-10, 20:45
........ I can only recomend them as a must have for the serious students bookshelf.

And you would be right, I do have a copy. :D

Von Rheydt
05-08-10, 08:06
And you would be right, I do have a copy. :D

I should have known.

scfast
05-08-10, 11:00
There's the book "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles. It's a fictional story about surviving an economic collapse (rioting, looters, long term survival, making stuff from nothing, guns & ammo, etc...). It's pretty informative & entertaining. There is an index referencing pages in the book to find water filters, AR-15, etc... LOL.I just finished this book.Entertaining read overall with good survival tips and recommendations strewn about

SeriousStudent
05-08-10, 12:09
I should have known.

It is a very good book. :) There are a lot of useful tips and ideas that are clearly not copied from some other tome, but the results of real-world experience, as you pointed out.

I have an old copy of Lofty Wiseman's book, and this one is easily as good. The Sergeant Major's book does cover more environments, however.

Von Rheydt
05-08-10, 13:14
It is a very good book. :) There are a lot of useful tips and ideas that are clearly not copied from some other tome, but the results of real-world experience, as you pointed out.

I think we can easily say that Mors was out there whilst most others were still an itch in their respective fathers pants.

I have an old copy of Lofty Wiseman's book, and this one is easily as good. The Sergeant Major's book does cover more environments, however.

The Big Mans book is a good introduction for the person interested in being able to cope well outdoors. My copy is also very old.

Ray Mears is the current guru for the military and many civilians - as for Bear Grylls,,,,,,sorry I nearly chocked then.

But Sir, and I am sure you will agree, you can read all the books you want but there is nothing like getting cold, wet, hungry and muddy whilst learning what it is all about.

SeriousStudent
05-08-10, 16:19
But Sir, and I am sure you will agree, you can read all the books you want but there is nothing like getting cold, wet, hungry and muddy whilst learning what it is all about.

Indeed!

I have chatted with several folks about their love for gadgetry. Then you ask them "Have you ever used that doo-dad to start a fire in a windy rainstorm with numb hands? How did it go, with all the little magnesium shavings flying away, and your fingers not working?"

You typically get a blank look......

afff_667
05-08-10, 23:36
I just read Deep Survival - Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales and really enjoyed it. It's not a survival handbook/guide but takes a very high-level approach to some of the physical and psychological aspects of why/how people get into tight spots and then how they react and why. He uses actual incidents to make his points, too.

Again, this book isn't a survival guide but has, I believe, some very, very good information. I'm beginning to get serious about this stuff and feel like it compliments hands-on, practical books and information very well.

Ukamono
06-13-10, 11:18
So... I am new to this topic and would like to get into it in a serious, meaningful, fun, and practical way for someone who lives in a subdivision within city limits.

Thanks for all the information provided .. and Thanks in advance for your advice.

thx
Carlos

High Desert
06-14-10, 16:45
For field survival I really like and recommend to students "98.6 degrees, the art of keeping your ass alive". Cody Lundin can be a bit of an odd guy but he focuses on mindset and "tested" skills, instead of old school dogma. Takeaway: maintain a party on attitude and understand some basics and you will have a much better chance of surviving.

+1, I have purchased about 10 copies over the years as Christmas gifts for my "outdoors challenged" friends. This is the book that will keep people alive for the typical 3 day lost scenario. Snares? we don't need no stinking snares! :p

HD

bones
06-23-10, 12:04
I,ve really enjoyed Cody Lundin,s books

HETZ1313
09-08-10, 14:55
Just picked up a copy of the US Army survival guide seems there is some good info in that manual. Cheap too fleabay

mnoe82
09-09-10, 12:12
I just finished patriots and loved it. I like the idea of buying those types of books as presents for people who otherwise wouldn't be interested. May spark someone to survive. You never know.

Huntindoc
09-14-10, 10:24
I will need to get a few of these books and want to thank those who have posted the previous information.

I did want to ask if anyone knows of a good work on the subject of longer term survival? Specifically, more of a pioneer's how to book. How to make a butter churn, wood stove, as well as some basic metalurgy, farming techniques with hand implements, leatherwork etc.

I think a lot of this older technology is lost to us these days. I believe that I would have no problem caring for my families survival for a month or 2 but long term with no tech I believe we would be in trouble.

Von Rheydt
09-14-10, 11:51
Hi Doc,

I will need to get a few of these books and want to thank those who have posted the previous information.

I did want to ask if anyone knows of a good work on the subject of longer term survival? Specifically, more of a pioneer's how to book. How to make a butter churn, wood stove, as well as some basic metalurgy, farming techniques with hand implements, leatherwork etc.

I think a lot of this older technology is lost to us these days. I believe that I would have no problem caring for my families survival for a month or 2 but long term with no tech I believe we would be in trouble.

Everyone would be in trouble. That aside there are some things you can do to mitigate some severe problems.

I assume from the screen name that you know a tad about tylenol and bandaids. That would be more than most people. Basic skills in mechancal engineering, plumbing, electrics ........ anything like that would be more than beneficial to you, even now for home use.

I am not an out and out survivalist, I think some of them are a fry short of a happy meal. However, I did courses and learnt things in the military and you cannot un-learn stuff. I enjoy bushcraft/woodcraft/extreme camping, what ever you want to call it. Through that I have learned how to: make fire by rubbing sticks together; build shelters; purify water in the field; make basic tools and utensils; and, a few other things.

I flicked through a book in a bookstore at the weekend, it was called something like the Bugout handbook. I would'nt buy it or any other similar "Oh my gosh the world is ending" book. They are generally filled with untried or secondhand information aimed primarily at the "I need a bugout kit and I'll keep it in the closet" market.

I would advise you to invest in a couple, or three, books from respected and well known outdoor types that have lots of experience.

1. Any of the Ray Mears books (Ray teaches bushcraft to UK Special Forces, but is not allowed to talk about it)

http://www.raymears.com/

2. also the book by Mors Kochanski is a definate must.

3. (a) And, either this one. Which I have seen and intend to buy, I have not read it yet though,

http://us.dk.com/static/cs/us/11/features/survival/intro.html

(b) or, The Lofty Wiseman SAS Survival book.

The US Army and Air Force survival manuals are available free on the net. I don't rate them, but they are free.

Also, everyone I know that does bushcraft in the UK carries three Collins Gem books in their rucksacks. Now then, the Gem books are only as big as the palm of your hand so they take up not too much room in a rucksack or bag. These are the three books:

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Sas-Survival-Guide/dp/0004723023

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Food-Free-Fantastic/dp/0007183038/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284482129&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Trees-Alastair-Fitter/dp/000472268X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284482129&sr=1-2

The first two are pretty self explanatory. Tree recognition is useful for: identifying optimal woods for making fire bows and drills; some tree bark is edible and can provide enough nourishment to sustain life; trees are also a useful source of medicines.

There are lots of old time, homesteaders type DIY books out there which would provide lots of useful long term information. As would a book or two on vegetable gardening.

Ok, so there are the books. But the only way of learning a skill is by practicing a skill and the time to do that is not when you need it. There are huge amounts of outdoor bushcraft gear sold every day and it never gets used - it gets put away just in case. Even if people get no further than the back yard in their outdoor adventures they should practice regularly until they can do things easily.

Sorry, end of sermon.

Huntindoc
09-14-10, 12:57
Thank you Von!

I will check those books out.
I do have some experience with the basic survival stuff. But could certainly use to have some reference material on hand.

I was a boy scout and have done a good bit of primitive backpacking/camping in my youth. I have constructed shelters, made and successfully used a fire bow, various snares and traps and a solar (water) still. I also hunt, fish (including flyfishing using my own flies) and have a good size organic vegetable and herb garden. My wife and I do can veggies and make our own homemade jellys. My oldest two daughters have started in scouting (American heritage girls not those liberal nazi girl scouts) and I have become involved in teaching a lot of the woodscraft stuff.

But it occurred to me while reading One Second After that a lot of technology that were used in the 1700-1800s I don't understand to the point I could replicate it. For example- I have preserved animal skins with fur for fly tying. But without the Borax I purchased from the store to do that...How could it be done? I understand that soap was made from lye and rendering of fat. How do you do it? Those kinds of things and hundreds of others would be important over the long haul. Any info on those things? Keep the info coming!

dkr02
12-01-10, 12:45
I have Les' book and think it is a great guide, also the Air Force Survival manual is good. I also got a book covering edible plants, and spent last fall and winter in the woods IDing the plants, and trying a few. Don't look for taste! my 2cents...

Rick

huklbrry
12-01-10, 13:16
huntingdoc, for preserving hides, I use either salt or wood ash. About a lb of salt per pound of hide is usually the preferred quantiy and I would do that two times. 3 days in between each application

Randall
12-11-10, 12:10
But it occurred to me while reading One Second After that a lot of technology that were used in the 1700-1800s I don't understand to the point I could replicate it. For example- I have preserved animal skins with fur for fly tying. But without the Borax I purchased from the store to do that...How could it be done? I understand that soap was made from lye and rendering of fat. How do you do it? Those kinds of things and hundreds of others would be important over the long haul. Any info on those things? Keep the info coming!

Regarding the preserving of animal skins, "Deerskins to Buckskins" by Matt Richards is an exceptional how to with all natural materials. The hair on method is a little different from the normal tanning process but braintan.com has a forum that also has tons of info on the subject from people that have primitively tanned hundreds to thousands of hides. as far as soap from lye and rendered fat goes, i followed a recipe from the website below. i only tried it recently so the soap hasnt cured long enough yet to test it out. will update with the results when its finished.

http://67.222.53.210/frontierfreedom/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105

-Randall

Gutshot John
12-12-10, 12:11
While books on survival technique are useful I haven't found them particularly revealing enough to recommend one book over the other. I'm sure Les Stroud is perfectly adequate for most people's needs. Other survival skills are simply a matter of practice (if you haven't practiced starting a fire without match/lighter you really need to practice it when your life doesn't depend on it).

The best book I've ever read was given to me by a member of this forum and is hands down the best book I've ever read on the subject. Rather than dealing with specific techniques, it deals with the survival mindset which is far more critical than anything else in determining who lives and who dies.

More interestingly the mindset it discusses has broad application beyond mere survival.

The book is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales.

Check it out.

M4arc
12-12-10, 19:18
While books on survival technique are useful I haven't found them particularly revealing enough to recommend one book over the other. I'm sure Les Stroud is perfectly adequate for most people's needs. Other survival skills are simply a matter of practice (if you haven't practiced starting a fire without match/lighter you really need to practice it when your life doesn't depend on it).

The best book I've ever read was given to me by a member of this forum and is hands down the best book I've ever read on the subject. Rather than dealing with specific techniques, it deals with the survival mindset which is far more critical than anything else in determining who lives and who dies.

More interestingly the mindset it discusses has broad application beyond mere survival.

Check it out.

Les Stroud spends a lot of time discussion mindset in his book. That along with techniques and methods make it a great book in my opinion. However, it's not an end-all-be-all book. It's just a step in a long series of reading, learning, experimenting, practicing.

John W
12-13-10, 18:38
Any and all of the FoxFire book series deals directly with old technology and skills.

Everything from building a cabin to making food and moonshine.

I think this is the first one; http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-Dressing-Building-Moonshining/dp/0385073534

Lots of photos and diagrams. The entire series (12 or 13 books in all?) is a wealth of information. Think encyclopedia of britannica for old methods.

The_War_Wagon
01-09-11, 19:04
Any Boy Scout Handbook, PRIOR to the 1972 printing, & Boy Scout Fieldbook prior to 1979.

They are written so that a 12 year old boy can understand them, and they come with clear, concise, directions and illustrations, they're field-use durable, AND... they can still be had for a quarter at yard sales across the country.

When the baby boomer enrollment was peaking in the Scouting movement (1957 - 1971), almost 100,000,000 handbooks were printed during that time. Used ones in service-grade condition are still quite easy to find.

A good handbook and fieldbook will make for good reading for the WHOLE family/group in your surivival circle, and will ESPECIALLY appeal to the young 'uns. Getting your Scouting-age boys in the program NOW, is a good way to PRACTICE & HONE these skills today, too.

1st ed. Fieldbook cover (1944-1967)

http://www.troop97.net/images/bsfb1b.jpg

1965 BSA Handbook cover

http://chawedrosin.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/boy-scout-front-cover398.jpg

Brimstone
01-09-11, 22:31
Any and all of the FoxFire book series deals directly with old technology and skills.

Everything from building a cabin to making food and moonshine.

I think this is the first one; http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-Dressing-Building-Moonshining/dp/0385073534

Lots of photos and diagrams. The entire series (12 or 13 books in all?) is a wealth of information. Think encyclopedia of britannica for old methods.

The Foxfire books have good stuff in them. I think that I have the first four books on .pdf files. If anyone wants them, just send me an e-mail to ewholmes at gmail dot com and I will send them to you.

John W
01-09-11, 23:13
Took your advice on the scout field book however I have a few questions.

The first edition appears to have finished its printing in 1959 -- the second edition printed from 67-83. Between the two editions the chapter titles appear to have changed and a few removed/added to the mix. What other changes appeared between the two editions, and what changed in 1979. Or, did you mean 1959, and you were instead suggesting we stick with the first edition only?

I've heard that the scouting books have become much more politically correct as time has gone on. Specifically, skills related to building wood furniture and the like have been replaced with more "leave no trace" info.

You mentioned that the pages were very durable and that this was a "field use" book. Picking a copy up online and am looking forward to enjoying the material.

Thanks for the heads up, great suggestion.

HES
01-11-11, 14:17
Any Boy Scout Handbook, PRIOR to the 1972 printing, & Boy Scout Fieldbook prior to 1979.
Why the publication date recommendation? Oh and assistant cub & scout master here and I agree 100%, get your boys into scouting.

I've heard that the scouting books have become much more politically correct as time has gone on. Specifically, skills related to building wood furniture and the like have been replaced with more "leave no trace" info.
They have gotten a bit more PC in some areas. In other areas the changes were good. The "leave no trace" concept is good, but they have taken it to near eco insane levels.

Dave L.
01-26-11, 03:49

Check it out.

100% in agreement. I am very impressed with the information and time that went into compiling it all.
This book is a good reality check for those who think having a go-bag full of survival gear alone will save them.

Get it from Amazon, it's one of the best $11 I have spent in a long time.

Dave

Brimstone
01-29-11, 12:21
Here is a link to some great free e-book resources:

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/ebooks/

Dave L.
02-24-11, 07:17
I just finished Cody Lundin's 98.6 Degrees The Art of Keeping Your ASS ALIVE. I thought it was a great book. He breaks down short-term survival very simply. I wish I could have read this book ten years ago.

I'm just finished "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John McCann. I have to say, I'm overall not impressed but I don't think he necessarily wrote the book for people with a good base of survival knowledge, but more for the novice. He basically explains and showcases many of the good and not so good pieces of survival gear available today (most of it which he sells on his website).
I actually bought the book out of curiosity and I think it's great for the the person who wants to put together their first survival kit(s). On nice thing about it is that the book reiterates the main necessities of survival and equipment needed to accomplish the goal. The only thing that really changes is the amount and size of tools you can carry to get the job done.

I really like his website though, he sells great survival gear/supplies for very good prices.

Anyone else read John's book? What did you think?

afd524
03-20-11, 18:06
i thought that When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes By Cody Lundin was also a good one

rezin23
04-04-11, 23:47
The Bible is a great survival book, if you know what I mean :) I also agree that Deep Survival is also a very good book.

WillBrink
04-05-11, 10:17
The Bible is a great survival book, if you know what I mean :)

It wouldn't be taking up any space/weight in my go bag, but what ever works for you. :cool:

pmarc
04-05-11, 11:48
Let me reccomend the "When Hell Breaks Loose" book by Cody Lundin.

For those of you who are in the Southwest, his school is in AZ.

I would go there if I was in the same country....

Sure there are good instructors here, but the mindset about preparedness isn't there yet, despite the recent catastrophes...

I first read about his books in Doug Ritter's site http://www.equipped.org/books.htm. He has plenty reccomendations, along with commentaries. "Patriots" is there too.

One thing I read somewhere, regarding long term survival, is cultivating good relations with your neighbours. The manpower of a community is nothing to be overlloked, also, there might be some valuable skillset along those people that should be spread among other heads (and hands)

HES
05-13-11, 20:42
deleted

LiveFreeOrDie2111
06-10-11, 22:36
All of these are great books, while nothing quite compares to SERE school and first hand experience in the field, common sense is always the best guiding stone.

renhosti
07-30-11, 15:48
The Bible is a great survival book, if you know what I mean :) I also agree that Deep Survival is also a very good book.

Actually this is the best information so far. Yeah, Yeah, let the rants start, but true nevertheless.

ZoneOne
09-27-11, 04:37
Having taken many of his courses, I would highly recommend Tom Brown Jr's book "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival"

It's very informative, well laid out and you will walk away with a wealth of knowledge.

But like others have said, reading about it doesn't mean you can do it. With any of these books, you should develop your own curriculum that can help guide your training program.

LoboTBL
11-23-11, 11:46
Books are essentially tools and thus can be used correctly or incorrectly. I would say that applies to all the books that have been mentioned...if you get my meaning.
Anyone who has actually ever come through an actual survival situation shares one common trait with every other person who has done so. The will to survive. They may have done several things wrong or not made the best choices along the way, but they did have the will to survive and the mental toughness to persevere.
A person can have the "end all - be all" survival book in their bag or back pocket or whatever...if that person does not have the will to do what it takes and not give up...he will die.
That said, the U.S. Army Survival manual is an exellent reference guide. I would also recommend the Foxfire series which covers more information than I can recall at the moment. A few subjects that come to mind are soapmaking, tanning hides, preserving foods, distilling alcohol and natural medicines and remedies.

sesome
12-22-11, 15:45
try www.bushcraftusa.com that forum has a wealth of info and ebooks. It also has bushclassusa where you can practice your skills. All totally free!

suthrncop66
01-12-12, 16:04
ran by BAM a little while ago..picked up Survive (Les Stroud) for 15.99 minus 10% for some card my wife has...so I think a great deal at around $14...Almsot grabbed Cody's 98 Degrees instead..really like the way it was written. It looked like it could keep me interested as I am not much of a reader. I wish I were but I'm just not. I am going to try and read Strouds and I may run back and get 98 Degrees because in all honesty the best survival book is one that you will read, and that one may get me started.

Punisher1336
02-23-12, 12:34
I have the SAS survival guide- actually 3, one in my BOB, a small palm sized one in my truck, and another in my library. I also have Les Strouds Survive in my library.

Ty_B
03-22-12, 16:10
What do you guys think of Bradford Angier? I know some of the content (or all of the content) is a little old school, but I enjoy his matter-of-fact tone. He survived in the woods like I survive in my living room.

CRAMBONE
03-22-12, 21:47
My parents bought me the whole Foxfire series for Christmas last year. :D There is some awesome information in them.
Yes my mom still thinks Im 5 when Christmas comes.

DesertDweller
05-27-12, 00:40
but I am going to read survive now.

Guntotin'daddy
09-26-12, 17:37
It is a fictional book but is very well written and leaves you hanging for the next page or chapter is One Second After. It's a story about the time after the lights go out. It leaves you with food for thought for a long while after the book is finished. I very highly recommend this read.

Dave L.
09-27-12, 11:52
It is a fictional book but is very well written and leaves you hanging for the next page or chapter is One Second After. It's a story about the time after the lights go out. It leaves you with food for thought for a long while after the book is finished. I very highly recommend this read.

First welcome. We talk about books like "One Second After" over here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64071

This thread is more wilderness survival manual based.

a1fabweld
09-27-12, 18:03

Ordered it today. Looking forward to the read.

Guntotin'daddy
09-27-12, 19:47
First welcome. We talk about books like "One Second After" over here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64071

This thread is more wilderness survival manual based.

I know, I had to put in there. I read it first, which put me in the mindset to pick up "When all Hell Breaks Loose." It's another good one. Has any body read Dave Canterberry's book? I saw a copy a couple months ago at a gun show that was printed on waterproof paper, but had my eye on something else and my wife had to go (like I can't be trusted to go to a gunshow by myself)

cgjane
09-28-12, 09:32
+1 on the SAS book

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/75AB8C29-DEC4-4520-B7A2-3D879ED5AD82-3646-000003B72AEA414E_zps9bc6ef93.jpg

Dave L.
09-28-12, 12:14
+1 on the SAS book

Indeed. I have the "pocket version" of the SAS survival book (http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Guide-Collins-Gem/dp/0061992860/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3KQ6WV00QP2JG&coliid=IS828GE615FRY)in my Amazon wishlist. From the pics it looks small enough to be a worthwhile addition to the kits.

tacdrivrnc
10-05-12, 22:07
Indeed. I have the "pocket version" of the SAS survival book (http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Guide-Collins-Gem/dp/0061992860/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3KQ6WV00QP2JG&coliid=IS828GE615FRY)in my Amazon wishlist. From the pics it looks small enough to be a worthwhile addition to the kits.

+ another on the SAS pocket guide, have had one for years, with the white cover. Fits nicely in a midsize otter box with some survival gear.

mike11
01-05-13, 19:12
SAS survival guide and understanding firearm ballistics are the two books i dont even walk the dogs without!

Maineshooter
02-10-13, 21:44
What do you guys think of Bradford Angier? I know some of the content (or all of the content) is a little old school, but I enjoy his matter-of-fact tone. He survived in the woods like I survive in my living room.

I had a an old paperback copy of one of Angier's books a long time ago. I think it was "How to stay alive in the woods." At the time, I felt it was the best survival book I had read. If I am remembering correctly, it had a great deal of info. about edible plants that would b easy to identify. The book was completely full of useful information without a lot of fluff.

notintheface
03-28-13, 14:38
sas pocket guide is a must

recon
06-07-13, 22:58
New Survival magazine coming out in august.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/be-ready/

Chachi52
08-05-13, 09:00
Patriots by James Wesley rawles although fiction, has some great survival tips and tricks scattered though out....overall the book is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone.

WTDeBerry
01-10-14, 17:23
I always keep a book of knots close at hand. Even though I can tie many its good to have. I have BACKPACKER: The Outdoors at your Doorstep's, "Outdoor Knots: The Knots You Need to Know". Good illustrations as well as explanation and application of different knots. Also, I think Thomas J. Glover's "Pocket Reference" is another good one to have. Not so much 'survival manuals', per se, but knowledge-based books with things that I feel a person would need to know in certain/different situations, everyday, survival and otherwise.

Sorry for the revival of an older thread, however, there are always new books coming out so I feel like this could keep going and going indefinitely so...

Tikkatac
02-21-16, 23:11
The SAS survival guide is packed full of great info.

I don't recall if they have this in a pocket edition? I found the large hard copy but couldn't find the pocket version. I also wonder what they leave out on the pocket edition compared to the full version?

helluva
05-03-16, 21:09
Angier admitted to having a ton of stuff air-dropped or boated into him, each spring and fall. Euel gibbons 4-5 books on plants, condiments, and beachcombing are all superb! Rawles is just another pimp for the gun industry, like Mel Tappan was, as well as for gold, silver and undeveloped land. :-)

soulezoo
05-04-16, 13:19
I don't recall if they have this in a pocket edition? I found the large hard copy but couldn't find the pocket version. I also wonder what they leave out on the pocket edition compared to the full version?

I have the pocket edition I keep in my backpack. I can't answer the second part of your question.

joedirt199
05-04-16, 16:31
Les stroud has a good book about survival situations. One second after and just finished one year after are both good as they are from a none prepper standpoint. I don't see myself stock piling food and water in the basement but can see myself getting back to the basics by canning more foods and growing a better garden.

A. American going home series is a little preppery but has good stuff in it. Rawles is definately live on your own and have a place and party to bug out too. Sorry not buying land any time soon and stock piling under ground gas tanks. I can just head to the father-in-laws hunting cabin which has 2 wood burning stoves, one for heat and one for cooking. No running water but he says there is an under ground spring somewhere on the property. Plenty of squirrels and deer when you can find them. Large open patches for a garden and a couple of small ponds for fish and frog legs

whilst
11-18-16, 17:16
Outdoor survival skills by Larry Dean Olsen is the best I"ve ever read and I"ve read nearly everything. the SAS book is quite good, tho. The American military one is way too generalized to help you much and way too full of stuff that's meaningless to the non-soldier.

Jonnyt16
09-02-17, 14:59
As stated by many, Wiseman's SAS book is a must-have. As well as the U.S. Air Force 64-4.

A book that I rarely (if ever) see mentioned though is Richard Graves's Bushcraft. It was the first book written with the title Bushcraft (not to take anything away from Mors Kochanski -- his book is phenomenal as well) but I learned a lot from Richard Graves's book. Highly recommended. And can still be found on Amazon for five dollars!!

https://i.imgur.com/TDcgb1C.jpg?1

GarthTheBenning
05-22-20, 18:46
I worked as a Backcountry Guide for a few years, and this book was always considered the Bible for folks in the industry. There's a LOT more to the book than just how to negotiate mountains.

Mountaineering - The Freedom of the Hills
by The Mountaineers Club

You can find it on Thriftbooks.com. Have fun and be safe out there!

tellum
11-13-20, 17:29
How to live in the woods, Bradford Angier, How to live off the land, Ragnar Benson, and Outdoor survival skills, by Larry Dean Olsen.