PDA

View Full Version : Rock River LAR-8 mag problems

Mainiac
03-22-09, 23:22
Just got a RR LAR-8, waited over two years for this puppy. I have an FAL or two, so I have a ton of FAL mags. Most of the mags I have, even some NIW Austrian, won't go fully into the magwell without binding. About 1/2" from being fully seated it starts to bind up, when releasing the mag it's a bugger to remove. Anyone else have one of these with this problem? Like I said, I waited since July 2007 for this rifle, now this. I'm pretty well discouraged at this point. TIA!!

Edge
08-18-09, 12:44
I haven't had this problem with my new to newer condition mags. I've got 5 or so beat up old mags that have this problem. So they have been set aside for FAL use only.

Mainiac
08-18-09, 15:22
Actually, the older ones work better in mine. I have two boxes of new in wrap Austrian mags. Of the 20 in the two boxes only one will insert easily and drop free.

Edge
08-18-09, 16:21
Did you ask RRA about the problem yet? If so, what did they say?

Mainiac
08-18-09, 18:29
Nah, never called them, was just curious if anyone else had this issue with theirs.

Some judicious work with a needle file and most all my mags now work. Other than that the rifle is amazing. 18" heavy barrel Picatinny gas block and upper. Will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds, if I'm having a good day. Their aren't many problems you can't solve with 20 rds of 7.62x51 ammo.

Edge
08-19-09, 09:38
Well, that will work! :cool: :D

toxicbyte
09-04-09, 01:53
I just got one of these fine rifles too... Kinda freeked out when I saw your post about mag problems, since I haven't had a chance to go to the range with it..

Did you have those problems with the single/solitary mag that comes with the rifle? Is it an Israeli built mag that comes with the kit. Wondering why they only include one mag....

they
09-05-09, 17:56
Yeah, it would have to happen that the thing would take FAL mags...

...right when magpul is going to release their mag... and when C-Products has their mag out... and Larue is making .308 mags too....

Edge
09-06-09, 12:48
Yeah, it would have to happen that the thing would take FAL mags...

...right when magpul is going to release their mag... and when C-Products has their mag out... and Larue is making .308 mags too....'

I like Magpul magazines, but the FAL magazines I've use have always been robust and reliable. DSA is designing a new FAL magazine that should be out soon. They are making them in 20, 25, and 30 round capacity. Plus they won't cost an arm and a leg like some big bore magazines from other companies do.