PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block Leak

Big44magnum
03-23-09, 10:47
I'm having a slight issue with a turned barrel. I'm not having any cycling issues or anything but after 10 rounds I can plainly see carbon streaking out in front of the gas block and back toward the receiver under the handguard. Is there anything I can do to seal the block so I don't get as much fouling all over the barrel?

Sorry for the bad pics.

It's a varmint barrel turned down and fit with a Badger Ordnance Speedblock.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/justice_lawbreaker/ARs/4.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/justice_lawbreaker/ARs/Gasleak.jpg

WS6
03-23-09, 11:53
Keep pulling the trigger. It should seal off by itself. Run a round of Remington 55gr UMC or two through it. If it cycles that nutless stuff, then you KNOW you are G2G.

Big44magnum
03-23-09, 13:05
I've put over 500 through it and its still leaking. I haven't used the UMC but I load my own and run 77gr in it and don't have a problem. I'd just like to cut back on some of the fouling that is being caked onto my barrel. Any help would be appreciated.

crossgun
03-23-09, 13:40
Big44
I assume you love the look of the Badger Speedblock? I also am running one on a 26" Hart 1x14 varmint upper. It leaks as well. Back in January while attending SHOT I asked the Badger guys if they still made these as I wanted another for a SPR because I really like the look and very low profile.

The Badger guys told me that it has been discontinued because of issues. Yes, didn’t seal real well and leaked as well as a few other manufacturing concerns. Marty at Badger only makes great products. If something isn’t meeting his expectations then it gets discontinued.

I think you may want to consider another gas block in the long run. Hopefully you’re running a .750 barrel at the gas block because you will have a lot more options. My barrel is 0.936 at the gas block so the options are limited. I think I am going to switch to a PRI.

Big44magnum
03-23-09, 14:25
The problem I have is that the barrel is a RRA varmint and is .920, not .936. I like the look but my issue is that I'm running a Larue 13.2 and this was the only block I could find that would fit under it and fit the .920 barrel.

I think I actually had to order the block from Canada because I couldn't find anyone in the US that still had one in stock and nobody could tell me when they would be available again. This was 2 years ago though.