PDA

View Full Version : Tumble time

HTTTRH
03-23-09, 22:45
Just curious, Ive been doing a lot of brass lately and wondering what is your typical tumble time?

Also anyone use any polishing additives, if so what ones?

Thanks

SMJayman
03-23-09, 23:14
Two or three hours, and I use Dillon's case polish with my media. A lot of guys use nu-finish and like it, I have yet to try it though.

markm
03-24-09, 08:30
1 hour most of the time. Then a half hour to tumble off lube if I'm doing rifle brass.

I'll put a dash of non amonia car polish in the media every once in a while.

dave5339
03-24-09, 18:00
It depends on the brass.

It it's dirty, it goes in for a couple of hours. If it's clean, 30 minutes or so.

Of course then there are the times when I forget to turn off the tumbler. I think my record is around 16 hours or so, (made for some clean brass).

I use crushed walnut with Flitz for polish. It works fairly well.

Semper Fi

MarshallDodge
03-24-09, 18:17
If the cases are really dirty, as in caked with mud, etc. then I use a liquid cleaner using water, vinegar, lemon juice, and a little laundry soap to get them presentable. It gets them nice enough to size but I like the smooth finish that tumbling puts on them which makes sizing a little easier.

After that, they go in a tumbler for an hour using ground corn cob. I was using Midway Brass Polish but I found an old bottle of liquid Turtle Wax that works really well. I add two tablespoons to fresh media and just a little bit per tumble after that. Too much and I have noticed that the wax will build up on the case and it will collect dust from the media.

After sizing I wash off the lube with water and a little laundry soap. Then I tumble them again until they are nice and shiny, usually an hour.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-24-09, 20:08
I just throw it in and sometimes I remember to turn it of in a few hours sometimes not. Eather way it realy depends how dirty it was. If I had 3 or 4 fireings on the case it might take 3 house if its once fired I picked up at the range maybe only 30 min.

m4fun
03-24-09, 22:15
I LIKE IT PRETTY. Not in camo ammo.

I tend to go 4hrs - sometimes I too forget and its longer. That is for dirty brass.

I am not into cleaning my lube off after sizing. I use a spray on lube and simply load lubed and then use some "clean" medea to tumble for 30minutes to 1 hr for final product.

Ziptie
03-25-09, 08:48
I use one of those christmas tree light timers and don't worry about forgetting every time to turn it off manually...

Zip

HTTTRH
03-25-09, 15:31
I use one of those christmas tree light timers and don't worry about forgetting every time to turn it off manually...

Zip

Good idea!

M4A1CQBR
03-31-09, 22:26
I usually go about four hours w/ the green media(corn cobs, etc.). I've been wanting to try that walnut media that I have been seeing at Cabela's, but I haven't bought any yet.

rockm4
04-24-10, 07:42
Hello all, I was in Harbor freight one day and run across a can of bead blast plastic media. So i bought a can and tried it with dirty range pick up some weathered, it takes about an hour to one and a half and really looks good. :cool: Patriot

markm
04-24-10, 08:34
No pic?

No Dice!!;)

MarshallDodge
04-24-10, 09:44
Hello all, I was in Harbor freight one day and run across a can of bead blast plastic media. So i bought a can and tried it with dirty range pick up some weathered, it takes about an hour to one and a half and really looks good. :cool: Patriot
I heard white rice works really well on pistol brass but I am too scared to try it on rifle brass. Getting rice out of your bottlenecked cases would be not be fun.

Ranger325
04-24-10, 12:29
Usually about 2 hours with a cut-up used dryer sheet and a capfull of NuFinish car polish and they come out nice and shiney!!

Kool Aid
04-29-10, 08:50
Two to three hours does it for me. I use Zilla Lizard Litter (walnut media) purchased from a pet supply store and a cap full of NuFinish every second or third cycle.

Fontaine
04-29-10, 16:41
I'm all about quick and dirty reloading, so I generally only do 1-3 hours in Walnut media.

I also don't bother tumbling after resizing (i use imperial sizing wax) though this can cause problems with clumping of a powder in a powder dispenser.

biggfoot44
05-05-10, 10:57
With brass of average dirtyness, an hour will result in "probably clean enough to load". For "see yourself shiny" overnight, or until you happen to think to check.