PDA

View Full Version : Need your expertise....1st Suppressor

vinesr6
12-22-06, 17:52
I'm looking at getting a suppressor to go on a .308 and .223 gas guns. I know YHM and AAC 762SD (have mounts for both threads), anyone know if OPS .30 can(s) can do the same, other makes? Would like your input please, thank you.

bigbore
12-22-06, 18:48
I'm looking at getting a suppressor to go on a .308 and .223 gas guns. I know YHM and AAC 762SD (have mounts for both threads), anyone know if OPS .30 can(s) can do the same, other makes? Would like your input please, thank you.

You "could" get an OPS INC 12th model in .30 which would work on either.

OPS INC wouldnt be my choice for a casual swap around can. AAC 762SD, Gemtech HVT, YHM Phantom, are all good cans with simple mounts to pass around.

OPS cans are really for the more prefessional/specific builds. If you are building a rifle that will be shot suppressed all of the time, OPS would be my first choice. Define your needs and wants and choose accordingly.

A friend who was skeptical about putting a suppressor on a bolt gun just took posession of a $4K custom build. To play it safe he had the barrel threaded 5/8x24 in case he changed his mind.

Having seen/shot/heard my bolt gun with the 3rd model and compared to the others I carry, he decided that was the can he wanted. Too bad thats the only can he cant have, because he didnt have his barrel contoured for it:(

vinesr6
12-22-06, 21:53
Thanks Steve, I won't be shooting suppress all the time (but then that may change once the thing is there..:D ). The YHM seems like a nice one for the price, with normal maintenance what's the realistic life before it starts rusting (carbon steel material). AAC seems like a good compromise but I'm not sure about their warranty and reputation (good can I know but there's too much rumbling on the CS side).

vinesr6
12-22-06, 21:58
Steve can the Gem-Tech HVT be had with a 1/2X28 Bilock adapter? Gem-Tech's website only specifies 5/8X24?

bigbore
12-22-06, 22:11
Steve can the Gem-Tech HVT be had with a 1/2X28 Bilock adapter? Gem-Tech's website only specifies 5/8X24?

you'd need a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter