PDA

View Full Version : What's the semi-cutom 1911 market like right now?

rob_s
03-24-09, 15:01
I sold a Brown Special Forces late last year (or was it early this year?) and kind of took a hit on it a bit. Thinking of getting rid of my YB 1* Enhanced on a Springfield. Not sure I want to go through the motions if I'm going to take another hit. Any cache since there are no more 1*s? Any cache because Yost himself did the work?

theJanitor
03-24-09, 15:32
to me at least, seems like there are more $2000-2500 pistols on the used market right now. these tend to be great "users" and not collectibles. people that are buying $5000 guns right now are not affected by the economy/markets, it seems.

i assume your 1* falls in the $2000 dollar range. Were you looking to get back what you paid for it new?

David Thomas
03-24-09, 16:34
I sold a Brown Special Forces late last year (or was it early this year?) and kind of took a hit on it a bit. Thinking of getting rid of my YB 1* Enhanced on a Springfield. Not sure I want to go through the motions if I'm going to take another hit. Any cache since there are no more 1*s? Any cache because Yost himself did the work?

You might get lucky, but there are indeed quite a few semi custom 1911's already on the market and as you know on LTW. My guess would be that the market is worse now than when you sold the EB.

bgoode
03-24-09, 16:37
From what I have seen is that Custom 1911's are sort of like watches. ( I used to collect watches for a while) It was expected to pay less for a not new watch or the seller was expecting to take a small loss to gain dollars to help fund another purchase of some kind. I bought my Baer for $1500 and its a carry piece of mine. Dont paln on selling it but if I did I wouldnt get what I paid for it.

Really it boils down to timing. Who wants what you have and they have the funds to take it for what your asking for it. My guess is that in 2011 when the 100 year anniversary of that platform comes you will have much better luck moving it.

I have also noticed the custom gunsmith is getting the bulk of the money for performing the service. The 2nd purchaser of that gun is getting the same work for less. I have seen SWEET guns not be sold unless it was for less money than the original buyer had into it. I could be totally wrong but thats what I have noticed anyways.

Nice guns Rob!!! If I had the $$$ I'd be interested :)

1SFG
03-24-09, 17:14
Isn't the Bonitz half of YoBo (can't remember what they are calling themselves these days) still making the 1* guns? Unless it's something that was already way out of the realm of the average buyer (like a full house CT Brian, or Heirloom Precision), my guess is you'll take a hit.

David Thomas
03-24-09, 17:18
Isn't the Bonitz half of YoBo (can't remember what they are calling themselves these days) still making the 1* guns? Unless it's something that was already way out of the realm of the average buyer (like a full house CT Brian, or Heirloom Precision), my guess is you'll take a hit.

Yes, Lew's business is called Grizzly Customs. I think there is one of his 1* on gunbroker now.

wesprt
03-24-09, 18:30
Yes, Lew's business is called Grizzly Customs. I think there is one of his 1* on gunbroker now.

I have one. They are every bit the pistol they were when they were Yo-Bo. Hell of a deal for all the work that gets done. Lew and Tim were excellent to deal with and their turnaround time was 3-4 weeks-

Impact
03-24-09, 18:41
people are hoarding anything semi auto and hi cap right now so your 1911 would most likely sit there for a while unless you find the right buyer.

G34Shooter
03-24-09, 21:40
For the Semi-Custom market, I prefer Baer's parts and build personally.