PDA

View Full Version : Boiling in Plastic

vbrtrmn
03-24-09, 15:30
Boil Water in a Plastic Bottle
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428567/camping_trick_hot_water/

I wouldn't recommend doing this a lot, since there are chemical which get released from plastic, when you heat it up, but if you're in a pinch this is a good trick.

Ziptie
03-27-09, 22:23
Another good alternative to a bottle is to dig a small hole and line it with an oven roaster bag. They are rated for high enough temperatures that shouldn't be an issue with hot rocks. Just make SURE that when you have to reheat your rocks, don't reheat them in open flames, but rather set them in the coals a little to the outside, otherwise the moisture that might have seeped into little cracks in the rocks will expand too quickly and you'll get a taste of geologic shrapnel.

Zip

PACKINHEAT
08-01-09, 21:56
The bottle definately works in a pinch, I have had to do this a few times in Afghanistan.

Like vbrtrmn stated its probably not the best idea, but when you need water, and its the only option it does work. Had pretty good luck with getting the trots or parasites. Might just be super lucky, or the bad critters are still waiting for an appropriate time to attack.............;)

MarshallDodge
08-01-09, 22:25
The video has been removed :confused:

We threw a sealed 16 oz. bottle in the fire at a recent camping trip to see if it would pop. It had about 3oz. of water left, the top section melted off, and then the water started boiling in the bottom.

Someone at the campout said that you could do it with a paper cup but we didn't have any to try.

Another trick is with packets of oatmeal. Tear off the seal and pour hot water directly into the packet. Stir and enjoy! I keep a couple packets in my gear bag.

Heavy Metal
08-01-09, 23:06
The bottle definately works in a pinch, I have had to do this a few times in Afghanistan.

Like vbrtrmn stated its probably not the best idea, but when you need water, and its the only option it does work. Had pretty good luck with getting the trots or parasites. Might just be super lucky, or the bad critters are still waiting for an appropriate time to attack.............;)

If so, ask the doc for a series of Flagil and Albenza. Be prepared to be dizzy as hell, and not drive anywhere for about the second week of the series.

vbrtrmn
08-01-09, 23:09
Here's another site with the video, since the previous one was deleted.
http://www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?ID=828

PACKINHEAT
08-01-09, 23:49
If so, ask the doc for a series of Flagil and Albenza. Be prepared to be dizzy as hell, and not drive anywhere for about the second week of the series.

Its been a few months since and I never got sick. I have been on Doxy and I took a Z-Pack when I got back, so hopefully I am GtG. :confused:

Then again it was flowing water and snow, so probaly not full of little intestonal demons.

08-02-09, 11:55
Heavy Metal is right. Albenza and Flagil would be what you needed. A twenty foot long intestinal tapeworm that starts flapping around when you're on the john wouldn't be pleasant. Your doc should prescribe them if you regale him with tales of the sh** infested water you had to drink-just to ensure you get them. A tapeworm might not show up for a long, long time. In this case, I say better safe than a parasitic host. Are you in NC?

PACKINHEAT
08-02-09, 12:25
Heavy Metal is right. Albenza and Flagil would be what you needed. A twenty foot long intestinal tapeworm that starts flapping around when you're on the john wouldn't be pleasant. Your doc should prescribe them if you regale him with tales of the sh** infested water you had to drink-just to ensure you get them. A tapeworm might not show up for a long, long time. In this case, I say better safe than a parasitic host. Are you in NC?

OK, now I am starting to wonder. I have had no health issues at all, but I guess I need to go and see the docs again. I am still in country right now. Thanks for the advice guys.

Not all Docs are created equal, and I am sure these guys have a lot of other worries that seem more pressing than some poor jackass that drank some boiled local water. I do wonder if they would be a bit hesitant to give me anything that could effect my judgement too much, I work with explosives and hazardous items routinely.

We'll see what they have to say. Tapeworms...... that sucks:mad:

Heavy Metal
08-02-09, 18:58
Question one:

Were you in the high country with no one living in a settlement up-stream of where you drank it?

Question Two: Does your gut feel ok?

If the answer to both is yes, you are likely ok.

If yes to one and no to two, you likely have some type of micro parasite like a cryptosporidium.

If no to both, you could have lots of things.

Vic303
08-03-09, 09:49
Have fun on Flagyl....it is one unpleasant GI drug. It has a lot of blech side effects. However it will kill off all sorts of other unpleasantness.

Heavy Metal
08-03-09, 10:37
Have fun on Flagyl....it is one unpleasant GI drug. It has a lot of blech side effects. However it will kill off all sorts of other unpleasantness.

Yep, you are being poisoned to make you better. Everything tastes like crap and you get real dizzy. Better start taking some pro-biotics after it is all said and done.

BTDT and got the T-Shirt. Still, it did the job.

Vic303
08-03-09, 10:51
I didn't get dizzy on it, but I sure had the bad taste in my mouth for a week+! Tasted like someone sprayed hairspray & perfume IN my mouth constantly.

08-03-09, 12:58
Vic- Hairspray/perfume; lol. I swear I could taste your description. I guess it was better than the alternative, though. Lived out of the country for a while and picked up a bad intestinal bug one time. Can't remember what they gave me, couldn't even tell me what I had for sure, doc. treated me for everything, the meds. made me feel terrible for about a week.

Stepped on a large, thick nail in NOLA after Katrina, went almost through my foot, in dirty, nasty water. Day after Katrina, when water was somewhat clear, you could see sewage coming out of the manholes and grates, bubbling into the water. Couldn't get to the hospital, so I drank a six pack-still nice and cold-took a q-tip and soaked it in bleach, and jammed it up into the hole, twice. Hurt like heck, but no infection and no problems.

Pelican82
08-14-09, 22:10
I have heated water on a fire in stryofoam cups as well. Never can recall getting it to boil, because I always took it off and used it for Hot Coco.

riddlin
08-17-09, 03:43
Inmates in jail will wrap toliet paper several times around a plastic bottle and light the paper to heat water for coffee. It is a fairly quick process that dosent destroy the bottle.

PACKINHEAT
08-20-09, 03:30
Albenza and Flagil= Good times. I feel like crap, constantly feel dehydrated even though I am drinking like 8 liters of water a day, and the gym is now a definite no go, dizziness and I think I started to hallucinate.

Maybe parasites are not so bad. :confused:

Thanks for the advice guys, I saw a competent DOC and he agreed. No trips outside the wire for a few days.....

zydeco76
11-12-09, 20:59
Um did'nt he boil the water? How is he goin to get a tape worm from boiled water? MAke sure you get some probiotics after your done with the meds cause you just killed eaverything between the entrance and exit. Yogurt works.

Heavy Metal
11-12-09, 21:35
Albenza and Flagil= Good times. I feel like crap, constantly feel dehydrated even though I am drinking like 8 liters of water a day, and the gym is now a definite no go, dizziness and I think I started to hallucinate.

Maybe parasites are not so bad. :confused:

Thanks for the advice guys, I saw a competent DOC and he agreed. No trips outside the wire for a few days.....

Be sure and follow up with pro-biotics for a couple of months at least if you want to ever poop solid again. Ask you Doc about it.

Albenza and Flagyl is a hard re-boot for your gut. Good or bad gut bugs, it kills them all. Now, you have to help get the good guys to set up shop to keep the bad bugs from doing likewise.

SIGfest
11-28-09, 23:33
Don't be drinking any alcohol after taking Flagyl..Acts like Anti-buse.. You'll definitely be sorry..

Von Rheydt
12-31-09, 13:39
You can make a tray flat container like thingy out of a sheet of paper and boil water in that too.