PDA

View Full Version : Dallas PD dropping 10 codes

ZDL
03-24-09, 15:40
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032309dnmetradiocodes.3d76b7a.html?nTar=OPUR

Comments 190 | Recommend 38
Email
Print
RSS
Yahoo! Buzz
AddThis
Social Bookmarking
Dallas Police Department dropping police code for plain English

02:13 PM CDT on Monday, March 23, 2009

By ERIC AASEN / The Dallas Morning News
eaasen@dallasnews.com

Catch a cop show over the past several decades and these strings of numbers barked over police radios might sound familiar:

"1-Adam-12, a 4-15 fight." ..."We have a 9-11. Armed robbery in progress."

Or in the words of the bumbling Barney Fife: "Mayberry Unit No. 1 over and, uh, Roger. Roger. Out and under. 10-40. Bye."

But many real-life police departments are ditching the digits, replacing the lingo with plain English.

In Dallas, that means so long "7," hello "minor accident."
Also Online

Blog: Crime

Twitter: Dallas crime news

Today, the Dallas Police Department moves to a new plain-language system that's supposed to make communications more universal and less complicated. No more of those distinctive radio codes or signals.

The department says it's following a nationwide trend, but some call it the end of an era.

Others say the switch is no big deal. Many Dallas police dispatches already include plain language because it's simple.

"It's a no-brainer," Dallas Police Senior Cpl. Herb Ebsen said. "It's just common sense. If we start speaking in codes, you have a real chance for a problem or misinterpretation."

The switch became more prevalent after Sept. 11, 2001. During the terrorist attacks, different agencies had problems communicating because they used different codes or their signals had varying meanings.

Federal officials require that plain language be used during major disasters and exercises that involve several agencies or jurisdictions, according to a 2006 government alert.

"There simply is little or no room for misunderstanding in an emergency situation," the alert stated.

Practice during Katrina

Dallas has used a signal system for several decades.

A minor disturbance is a 6, while a major disturbance is a 6X. A major accident is a 7X. An officer wanting to grab something to eat? That's a 50.

Got that? 10-4. (Understood.)

Dallas police acknowledge there could be a slight learning curve for some officers and dispatchers. But they don't anticipate issues, especially because the department already has practice using plain language.

When Dallas housed Hurricane Katrina evacuees, several agencies used the same radio system. So, the departments "had to take care to use terminology that we would understand," Dallas Police Lt. Chris Aulbaugh said.

In a crisis, the codes tend to go out the window, Ebsen said.

"Officers who have been there a while learn pretty quickly that if something big is going on, just talk plainly to say what's going on," he said.

Michael Calhoun, a Dallas police dispatcher, said there will be some other benefits to dropping the signals: Rookies probably won't have to memorize all those codes.

"It'll make their lives a whole lot easier," he said.

So, let's put Calhoun on the spot. What does 22 mean?

Animal incident, he said, without hesitating.

How about 34?

Suicide.

And 11?

Burglary.

'The way cops talk'

In the 1930s, so-called 10-codes were used to relay details quickly because police radios had only one channel, according to the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Through the years, departments developed their own unique codes or signals that were different from even neighboring agencies. So one department's 10-13 ("officer in trouble") was another department's "request wrecker."

Police officers also have different ways of saying things.

When East Coast officers say "collar," they mean arrest, but in Nevada, officers say "rip," said Tim Dees, a retired police officer and senior editor for lawofficer.com, a law enforcement Web site. With many agencies working together, "if you use the wrong word in the wrong context, people will look at you funny," he said.

As hard as agencies try to scrub out codes and signals, it will be difficult to extinguish something that's been ingrained for decades in police forces, Dees said.

"It becomes a matter of pride to use that and to know what those things mean," he said. "There's always going to be an element of jargon there. I expect you'll hear it occasionally creep back.

"That's the way that cops talk."
OLD POLICE SIGNALS
The Dallas Police Department is eliminating radio codes for a new plain-language system. A few signals currently used by police:

7 – Minor accident

7X – Major accident

11 – Burglary

12 – Burglar alarm

18 – Fire alarm

23 – Parking violation

26 – Missing person

27 – Dead person

28 – Sick person

34 – Suicide

50 – Eating

Their fear is covered by ICS... I don't understand what their issue is. Any Dallas LE here?

CarlosDJackal
03-24-09, 15:52
A lot of LE Agencies and LEOs are reluctant to give up certain 10 codes that can make the difference between tipping people off on what is happening. This includes bgs, law-abiding Citizens, and media.

And this is a very valid concern because despite the new frequency ranges, trunking systems, etc., the availability of scanners make it difficult to let dispatch or other units know that you've located the bad guy without tipping off someone who is listening. If you run across someone who you may be armed in a venue where they are not supposed to be, broadcasting plainly, "Possible armed subject..", anyone within earshot is probably going to freak out.

Can you imagine the type of reaction you would get if in a crowded area you were to call in a suspicious package and request for EOD? :eek:

I'm all for plain language for the most part because it aids in inter agency communications. But I think certain codes should be kept for security reasons. JM2CW.

FWIW, we dropped 10 codes almost two years ago.

ZDL
03-24-09, 15:58
A lot of LE Agencies and LEOs are reluctant to give up certain 10 codes that can make the difference between tipping people off on what is happening. This includes bgs, law-abiding Citizens, and media.

And this is a very valid concern because despite the new frequency ranges, trunking systems, etc., the availability of scanners make it difficult to let dispatch or other units know that you've located the bad guy without tipping off someone who is listening. If you run across someone who you may be armed in a venue where they are not supposed to be, broadcasting plainly, "Possible armed subject..", anyone within earshot is probably going to freak out.

Can you imagine the type of reaction you would get if in a crowded area you were to call in a suspicious package and request for EOD? :eek:

I'm all for plain language for the most part because it aids in inter agency communications. But I think certain codes should be kept for security reasons. JM2CW.

FWIW, we dropped 10 codes almost two years ago.

I agree. Wasn't ICS made standard? The fear is inter agency cooperation in the case of a national emergency/disaster. The first thing in ICS is drop the codes and go to plain language in those cases.

Gentoo
03-24-09, 20:54
I thought per ICS 10 codes were supposed to have already been dropped :confused::confused:

We went to plain language a while back. We still use 10 codes for officer safety issues like warrants or EDPs. But I'm not sure if that is per policy or per habit, just everyone does it.

03-24-09, 20:57
I'm glad we don't have that in Houston. A few agencies listen in to our mic so it makes it much easier for everyone.
A minor accident is a minor accident. Burglary, Assault, Disturbance, Suicide... KISS.

ZDL
03-24-09, 20:57
I thought per ICS 10 codes were supposed to have already been dropped :confused::confused:

We went to plain language a while back. We still use 10 codes for officer safety issues like warrants or EDPs. But I'm not sure if that is per policy or per habit, just everyone does it.

ICS is only activated when needed from my understanding. We still use 10 codes and signals in everyday use.

Decon
03-24-09, 23:49
The NIMS Integration Center, back when it was called something else, released a NIMSCAST, aka a memo, after some uproar from LE. Some LE departments were told they would have to use plain English in all communications to be in compliance with ICS. The NIMSCAST stated that departments did not have to change standard operational communications. Plain English applied to events using outside resources unfamiliar with local codes.

NCPatrolAR
03-25-09, 10:18
The bulk of our radio traffic is now plain language, but we still use 10 codes for certain thigs.

iroc_dis
03-25-09, 11:00
Probably 95% of our radio traffic is plain speak. We still use a tiny bit of codes for some things like if someone has an active arrest warrant, if a license plate is suspended, if a vehicle or item is stolen.

Of course sometimes this shit still doesn't work. I was out on a suspicious vehicle call a couple weeks ago and ran the tag while standing near the driver. My dispatcher comes back confirming the vehicle type and color, I confirm. Then she replies with "vehicle is signal 4" (which means stolen) and immediately follows with "for a carjacking incident in neighboring county yesterday morning, suspect armed and dangerous." He of course hears that because he isn't deaf and thus began a 4 hour incident. Would have been so much easier and quicker with a "vehicle signal 4" because I would have reacted the same way, regardless of what the NCIC entry said for the driver.

03-25-09, 11:03
99.9% of the time I run numbers in my car and not around folks. If I do run something over the air, most (good) dispatchers will ask you if the mic is secure and not just blurt it out.

ST911
03-25-09, 11:43
Plain language for multi-agency ICS/NIMS operations.

There's no prohibition on brevity codes in agency use (10-, signal, code, status, etc). Folks would be wise to retain certain ones for high-risk or potentially alarming scenarios.

iroc_dis
03-25-09, 11:44
99.9% of the time I run numbers in my car and not around folks. If I do run something over the air, most (good) dispatchers will ask you if the mic is secure and not just blurt it out.

Yea ours are supposed to. But that one was a new transfer from another agency and forgot to :mad:

CarlosDJackal
03-25-09, 12:59
We dropped 10 codes in our area because they were not very universal even for the more important ones (man with a gun, Officer need assistance, Officer down, etc.). You'd think with all the local po-po agencies (6 within my Agency's county alone) someone would have standardized some of this long before ICS. :rolleyes:

ZDL
03-25-09, 14:14
We dropped 10 codes in our area because they were not very universal even for the more important ones (man with a gun, Officer need assistance, Officer down, etc.). You'd think with all the local po-po agencies (6 within my Agency's county alone) someone would have standardized some of this long before ICS. :rolleyes:

Interesting to read all of the replies. Like I said we are still 10-codes and signals for 99% of our work. If we chase someone into another county or are working on something with another agency dispatch just reminds us to go to plain language. Didn't know a lot of agencies were dropping 10codes.

Gentoo
03-25-09, 22:14

We had a dispatcher who was pretty new, but seemed alright. Then one day she ran someone, and the hit came back wanted and stated armed and dangerous. She flipped the **** out and blurted over the air "(Unit #) subject ARMED AND DANGEROUS!!! HES ARMED AND DANGEROUS!!!!".

The guy was cool about it - it wasn't even him, just a hit via soundex. So nobody got hurt.

My agency immediately promoted the dispatcher in question to warrants clerk. I shit you not. :mad::rolleyes:

Saginaw79
03-25-09, 22:18
But most people whos had run in w/ the law knows whats what on a radio, Earbuds are popular now but when I was working they were rare, and here a 10 code for 'wanted' is known to anyone whos been arrested before and heard traffic.

I do wonder if this is juts more dumbing down of stuff for the 'diversified' folks they lowered standards for in so many agencies :mad:

seb5
03-26-09, 08:11
Brevity codes are slowly going away, no secret there. We still use 10 codes. The problem is that the local PD, SO, and State, use a different set of codes and signals. Everyone is different. Now you combine all of this with the tons of dollars being sent to the agencies for the unified command and all, you can't use them.

My biggest bitch is the damned alphabet. I wish the military/leo's could get on the same page there. You can always tell the guys who recently returned from deployment. As I found out, it takes a while to transition.

Saginaw79
03-26-09, 09:59
Brevity codes are slowly going away, no secret there. We still use 10 codes. The problem is that the local PD, SO, and State, use a different set of codes and signals. Everyone is different. Now you combine all of this with the tons of dollars being sent to the agencies for the unified command and all, you can't use them.

My biggest bitch is the damned alphabet. I wish the military/leo's could get on the same page there. You can always tell the guys who recently returned from deployment. As I found out, it takes a while to transition.

I always just used the militaries, forget Adam, Baker and all that, ALpha Bravo is where its at

ThirdWatcher
03-26-09, 15:36
There has been a push to go to "plain talk" on police radios since 9/11. (BTW, I believe a robbery in LA is a 211, not a 9-11.)

Teufelhunden
03-26-09, 21:33
The SO I work for and the major PD in my area share a common set of 10-codes, our response codes (codes for action taken), however, are different. The city also dispatches their calls on a coded level of seriousness / priority whereas the SO lets the deputies figure out for themselves what needs to be handled first.

As far as a hit return, our dispatchers used to ask if we were clear for traffic, but that got changed to 'Signal 27' for suspended license, and 'Signal 29' for wanted person. 10-27 is my area is license check, and 10-29 is a wants/warrants check, so that makes sense.