PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK 19

ROADKING
03-24-09, 17:53
Anybody own a glock 19, i have heard all good about them so far, Everybody seems to like them, I have been thinking about getting one for ccw whats your thoughts and experiences with them.

TOrrock
03-24-09, 17:59
I think that the Glock 19 is probably one of the most widely used, widely issued service pistol out there, and they carry very, very well.

Small enough to carry concealed easily, large enough to be a service pistol, and inexpensive enough that most people can afford them.

Accurate, reliable, and a good size.

They are the Kalashnikov of handguns.

Palmguy
03-24-09, 18:01
Great guns. I've got a pair that serve as a do-everything gun; carry, nightstand, etc. Lightweight, easy to shoot, easy to take apart, high capacity for the size, reliable. If it fits your hand, it is a very viable option. For me, it is the smallest gun that feels like a 'real' gun (can get a full grip on it and it disappears IWB)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/DSC00091.jpg

kaltblitz
03-24-09, 18:11
Common guy...stop asking the same question and just go out and buy a gun!

Your last thread pretty much gave you the answer to your question as most people recommended the G19 and if you seach this board, as well as others like Sigforum, you'll only hear that that the G19 is most people's choice for CCW.

My own preference is the G17, but that's just me.

JUST GO BUY THE GUN! Give it a try. If you don't like you can always turn around and sell it and buy a different one.

NoBody
03-24-09, 18:27
Deleted.

OPPFOR
03-24-09, 18:30

Your last thread pretty much gave you the answer to your question as most people recommended the G19 and if you seach this board, as well as others like Sigforum, you'll only hear that that the G19 is most people's choice for CCW.

JUST GO BUY THE GUN! Give it a try. If you don't like you can always turn around and sell it and buy a different one.

This is true. If you don't like it, you will not have a problem selling it here. Like you, I heard great things about it and was a little skeptical. I've had mine for 2 years and it is the only handgun I will never consider selling.

Templar said it best--it is the AK of handguns.

ROADKING
03-24-09, 18:36

I just want to ask as many questions i can before i go spend 500.00 on a gun.

Failure2Stop
03-24-09, 18:37
My personal favorite pistol for my realistic expectations of use and cost efficiency. Blue box cost me somewhere around $450 IIRC with 3 mags, and a set of warrens put me back around $100. Easy to use, easily concealed, and ugly as five miles of mud fence. It is easily the best pistol I own that I don't care about.

baffle Stack
03-24-09, 18:39
It was my 1st carry gun. :)

QuickStrike
03-24-09, 18:40
They are the only glock I'm interested in. Better trigger reset than all of my M&P's.

Just bought another one sunday. The front sight's tritium is not glowing though. :mad:

keller
03-24-09, 18:49
+1 to all of the above. A 17 fits my hand better but the 19 is my carry piece. All my glocks are 19. Now if only I would have bought more mags when they were only $13.

M4arc
03-24-09, 18:51
I have four of them so my opinion might be somewhat biased...:D

ROADKING
03-24-09, 18:55
My concern was getting a 9mm over a 45 but like people are saying the 19 is a good choice. I can get one now for 475.00 + tax.

Palmguy
03-24-09, 18:56
My concern was getting a 9mm over a 45 but like people are saying the 19 is a good choice. I can get one now for 475.00 + tax.

By all means...go get it.

Biggy
03-24-09, 19:00
I believe most people will agree the Glock models 17 and 19 have stood the test of time for durability and reliability. For a lot of people the Glock 19 is the perfect all aroud size with capacity and concealability. With advancement in bullet design in the last few years the 9mm is better than ever . I have sold all my 45acp pistols and went just 9mm . I believe a lot of people also think Glock pistols are not the most ergonomic ( feel and grip angle ). The S&W M&P pistol in 9mm may take over where the Glock has fallen short in this area for a lot of people. Only time will tell .

NoBody
03-24-09, 19:01
Deleted.

OPPFOR
03-24-09, 19:06

Good price. When you want to sell it, I'll take it off your hands for an even 400. :D

Matt Edwards
03-24-09, 19:48
I have four of them so my opinion might be somewhat biased...:D

Whew! I though I was a freaking weirdo. I only have 3...;)

M4arc
03-24-09, 19:58
Whew! I though I was a freaking weirdo. I only have 3...;)

Technically I only have three because I haven't been home long enough to get my other one from the shop. It's there, on the shelf with my name on it, but it's not in my safe yet. :)

TheLefty
03-24-09, 20:27
I agree, you can't go wrong with a G19. It's my favorite all-around pistol, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Initially when I wanted a 9mm handgun I didn't want to spend 500.00, so I bought a Ruger P-95. It's reliable and fairly accurate, but also big and clunky. It's a decent handgun for the price, but fast forward to last year, when I rented a G19 at a range just to see what all the fuss was about, after reading here and elsewhere. Previously, I had only held a G17, and it didn't feel right in my hand. A few weeks later I bought a G19 at Cabela's while they were running a $50 off sale and doing a promotion of so much money off for signing up for their club card, so I got a brand new G19 and a box of fmj (to push the total over $500 for an additional savings) out the door for $429.

I love the G19 now, and I'd like to sell my Ruger, possibly to help fund another G19!

Hope that helps, sometimes it really does pay to "buy once, cry once" as they say.

maestro
03-24-09, 20:52
Used ones are a little harder to find right now, but try to pick up a used one. Then if you don't like it, you can get all (or almost all) your money back out of it.

It was 2 years ago, but the last used one that I got was $330.

yrac
03-24-09, 21:00
You're just not a complete human being until you own one. :D There are other handguns that may offer features or characteristics that are preferable for certain users/applications, but the fact remains that the G19 is considered by many in the know to be the base for comparison by which other concealable fighting handguns are measured. You can't go wrong with this one.

Gentoo
03-24-09, 21:21
The AK of handguns... I like that lol.

It is really hard to go wrong with one.

recon
03-24-09, 21:25
For a CCW it can't be beat! The weight is light compared to other pistols. Have had my 19 for years now. It is the AK of pistols!

SloaneRanger
03-24-09, 21:48
I agree you need to just go and get it now and stop double guessing yourself...

You have asked the questions about caliber and platform and narrowed your search down to what is a very solid choice.....

You now need to go actually buy it before some tree hugging, cuorduroy pant, turtle neck wearing ACLU attorney who voted for Obama and helped get us into this mess in the first place, goes and buys it from under you. He doesn't think you should own one but they come out of the woodwork to get theirs before the grab. You'll recognise the type in the store from their pasty palid skin and the spittle that spews from their thin, pale dry bloodsucking lips all over you as they guffaw at their own painfully unfunny joke to the sales dweeb about 'Knocking down and elephant' with the .45 they're holding.

In my area Glock 19's do not stay on the shelves past the day they're added to the case.

Glock Holiday
03-24-09, 21:49
They are the Kalashnikov of handguns.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x42/Glockholiday/G19-1.jpg
I agree.

geminidglocker
03-24-09, 21:56
Go for it! Glocks are decent in general, but their 9mm platforms really shine through in their overall practicality. 9mm is cheap to shoot so you can shoot til' your hearts content and get a loy more trigger time than with a more expensive caliber. I have the model 26 now but have owned the 17, and 19 as well. I can shoot just as well with the 26, now that I've moded it out, as I could with the other two. I think it's because I get a lot of trigger time. Don't think I could afford to do that with a .40 or .45. The Speer 124gr. Short Barrel Pistol round is what I carry.

ROADKING
03-24-09, 23:15
Well i guess i better go pick it up and take your word for it. I guess you cant beat the price at 475.00.

m4fun
03-25-09, 00:12
Make sure you have at least 2, and lots of mags. Was at a pratical CCW hosted by David Pennington on this board a month ago and with a few exceptions G19's ruled the day.

I also think they are about as sexy as a Yugo. Look like they should squirt water, but they run and run well.

Its a great tool.

ROADKING
03-25-09, 11:04
Sounds like the G19 is the choice for most. And like said the 9mm come along ways.

bobby.lamberth
03-25-09, 22:39
I Like The G19 It's Awesome, But My G17 Has Sentimental Value Because I Got It From My Father...That's Just Me

ROADKING
03-26-09, 21:53
I shot a freinds G19 today and wow do they shoot nice and feel good in the hand, We shot over 700 rounds through it today without a hicup, Very reliable and nice size for concealed carry, I think i am sold on the G19.

yakrat101
03-27-09, 02:07
My first pistol was a G23 so I'll never get rid of it but the G19 is my favorite. I should have bought another one yesterday but delayed and when I went back it was sold. Still waiting for a G23 to 9mm conversion barrel for my stealth 9 build:)

Dan Goodwin
03-27-09, 06:51
Bought a 19C for my wife years ago and she is a limp-wrist syndrome person, so sold it. Wish I hadn't. Kicked like a .22 pistol.

Finally picked up a Gen. 2 19 yesterday for a very good price.

Get a G19. Put good sights on it. Shoot it. A lot.

blackscot
03-27-09, 11:53
Mine has been my everyday carry for about 2 & 1/2 years now. This after having tried many -- and I mean M - A- A - A - A - A - N - Y -- other models for about the past 25 years.

Since owning it, I even tried twice to supplant it with other models, but no-go. Nothing else fills the bill as well.

For me, the choice really is unprecedented. I'm not a big guy (not around the middle anyway), so am constrained as far as what will carry and conceal effectively. I'm also an average-at-best shooter though, so need something with enough pointability to acquire and maintain the target.

I just recently made the final committment by replacing the factory sights with a set of Warren 2-dot tritiums. I don't see this gun leaving my side until -- as they say -- from my cold gray hands.....

ROADKING
03-27-09, 11:58
Well i guess i am going to go pick it up, The local store here has one of the AUSTRIA marked G19 in stock so i am on my way. 475.00 + tax= 504.00 otd.

ROCKET20_GINSU
03-30-09, 14:51
you will not be disappointed. If I could only have 1 gun the Glock 19 would be it. I've owned 5 glocks now, 22, 23, 19, 34, 26 and I've been very happy with all of them. I only own the 9mm's now but all of them have served me extremely well.

enjoy your purchase and buy lots of mags and ammo!

GU

GLOCKMASTER
03-30-09, 20:21
They are a great value. I only own two of them so I guess that makes me a cheap bastard. :D

Besides, I still haven't figured out how to shoot the first one.;)

tpd223
04-01-09, 03:21
I have G17s, G26s and a G34, all good guns.

As soon as I can find a new G19 in stock at our local LEO supply place I'm buying one.

HK45
03-24-10, 20:45
I had a few and sold them because my pinky was waving off the bottom and a full grip is a requirement for me even for CCW. Some Pearce Grip extensions solved that problem.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/IMG_1197.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/?action=view&current=IMG_1197.jpg)

Copis
03-24-10, 21:02
you could join GSSF and get it for $398

danpass
03-24-10, 21:03
the G17 finger ledges and the G26 ones were perfectly spaced.

Unfortunately the G19 ones were cramped. I wasn't keen on breaking out the sandpaper so I sold it. (got an M&P9 now)

the G19 was totally reliable

pic with G18 33rnd homie clip

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v4/p363507858.jpg

skyugo
03-24-10, 21:26
The AK of handguns... I like that lol.

It is really hard to go wrong with one.

hell i like the G19 more than i like AK's. it's actually simpler, more ergonomic, and just as reliable as an AK. you can detail strip it with a finishing nail for chissake! :D it's a beautiful piece of engineering.

only downside is you can never bring yourself to buy another pistol. i really really want a USP compact, but i'll probably never get one, cause the G19 fills the role already, and i can shoot it great.

HK45
03-24-10, 21:46
you could join GSSF and get it for $398

It is minimum $425 now and higher depending on what you buy. By the time you pay the membership fee it's not such a great deal any more.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

Or if you LEO, active duty, retired military, firefighter, and others you can get 9, 40, 357 for $419 and .45 and 10mm for $480.

Ricardus
03-24-10, 22:00
How is it that a caliber that was once considered anemic (9X19mm) and generally laughed at is so popular? It is because of the price of ammunition these days. Let us not pretend then that this caliber is anything but anemic and not very reliable in stopping a fight. Where are all the studies that were made in the 1980s and 1990s when among other things the 9mm was excoriated and the U.S. military's adoption of the Beretta was considered a step backward?

This is just my rant. I have a 9mm CZ 75 Single Action pistol and crap load of ammunition for it. However, I also have my preferred weapon, a CZ 75 SP-01 in .40S&W. There are also other calibers to consider like the .357 mag., the 10mm, the .41 mag, and the venerable .45ACP that served our country for a long period of time.

I do not mean to offend anyone but lets just admit that we have a resurgence of interest in the 9mm because of the cost of ammunition these days and not because it has very many redeeming qualities.

recon
03-24-10, 22:05
Thats what I did with all my GL-19 mags. The Pearce grip works great and makes for a better grip! :D

HK45
03-24-10, 22:14
How is it that a caliber that was once considered anemic (9X19mm) and generally laughed at is so popular? It is because of the price of ammunition these days. Let us not pretend then that this caliber is anything but anemic and not very reliable in stopping a fight. Where are all the studies that were made in the 1980s and 1990s when among other things the 9mm was excoriated and the U.S. military's adoption of the Beretta was considered a step backward?

This is just my rant. I have a 9mm CZ 75 Single Action pistol and crap load of ammunition for it. However, I also have my preferred weapon, a CZ 75 SP-01 in .40S&W. There are also other calibers to consider like the .357 mag., the 10mm, the .41 mag, and the venerable .45ACP that served our country for a long period of time.

I do not mean to offend anyone but lets just admit that we have a resurgence of interest in the 9mm because of the cost of ammunition these days and not because it has very many redeeming qualities.

I'm pretty sure this discussion has been had before, maybe even on the internet!
I'm a long time 1911/45 guy. 9mm JHP's are quite good these days and I feel just fine carrying one. Plenty of people went to 9 long before the ammo cost occurred. Back to the G19's..

tpd223
03-24-10, 22:19

Back in the day when we carried wheelguns the squared away detectives would carry a model 19 or 66 2 1/2" instead of a Chief's Special for a primary duty weapon. Our issued .357mag duty ammo pushed a 125gr JHP out of the shorter barrel at 1275-1300 fps. This gun/ammo combo was considered a "manstopper" back then and no one I knew wanted to step in front of one of those bullets, yet compare this to our current duty weapon ammo combination.

Currently we issue the G17 and the 124gr +P Gold Dot, which pushes a 124gr JHP at 1275fps or so. With this pistol we get the same ballistics, lighter weight, and as much ammo in the gun as the average copper carried on his person when armed with a wheelgun.

Guys on my department have been shooting bad people with our 9mms for a very long time with no issues to note. The 9mm works if you can make hits, nothing works if you can't.
Thinking that a bullet 1mm wider and a few grains heavier, or a few FPS faster, makes any difference in making bad guys fall down or not is just crazy talk, seriously.

Back to the Glock 19 topic;

I just spent a week in NJ and NYNY on a school trip where the law supported my being armed but the school board did not. With AIWB carry no one but me knew that I had a G19 in my pants.

The more I carry my G19 the more I like it, I can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

THE FROG
03-24-10, 23:38
Here we go again with another 9mm is as good as a .357mag fantasy.

Six Feet Under
03-25-10, 00:30
I love my G19. It's the perfect size to use once I turn 21 and can carry concealed. I'll probably get a LCP or similar sized pistol for days or situations where I can't carry the 19, but I don't see myself going to a smaller gun unless I absolutely have to. It fits my hand perfectly.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/glock6.jpg

skyugo
03-25-10, 00:39
I love my G19. It's the perfect size to use once I turn 21 and can carry concealed. I'll probably get a LCP or similar sized pistol for days or situations where I can't carry the 19, but I don't see myself going to a smaller gun unless I absolutely have to. It fits my hand perfectly.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/glock6.jpg

the G26 is a nice summertime alternative to the G19. it's not that much smaller, but it's smaller in all the right places. it pretty much shoots the same too. trigger, grip angle etc.

HK45
03-25-10, 00:44
Never mind....

Jay Cunningham
03-25-10, 00:51

You want to back up your statement with facts and first-hand accounts?

GLOCKMASTER
03-25-10, 06:13
I really like the G19 platform as it's very easy to shoot, very reasonable in price, and I find it to be a very accurate pistol. Also when the best projectiles are properly placed, it can be a very lethal caliber.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Strider.jpg

rob_s
03-25-10, 06:21
Outside of guns specifically for pocket carry (NAA .22 mag, KT .32, S&W .38) the only handguns I own glock 19s, and I have a few and looking to get a few more. I'm still toying with setups to find my ideal, but one must is a trip to Boresight Solutions to get the grips fixed and the grooves removed.

GLOCKMASTER
03-25-10, 06:35
get the grips fixed and the grooves removed.

That is the only issue that I have with Glocks. I have performed a homemade fix on all of mine by removing the finger grooves with a dremel and stippling the grip.

vaglocker
03-25-10, 07:03
Currently I've only got two, so when the Gen 4 19 comes out and some start dumping their gen 2 and 3's for the new model I hope to pick up another on the used market for cheap.

Combat_Diver
03-25-10, 07:20
My son just got me a G19 RTF with a OD frame, night sights and SF Regimental Crest engraved on it. However, I've a bullet caster and shoot lots of lead. Do I need to ditch the factory barrel and buy a after market bbl for lead?

CD

John_Wayne777
03-25-10, 07:28
How is it that a caliber that was once considered anemic (9X19mm) and generally laughed at is so popular?

...because ammo design has improved dramatically over the 25 years since the Miami shootout and because we have a lot more objective research and information on gunfights and what works than we did back then. 9mm today loaded with good performing JHP will do anything to a bad guy's anatomy that you can reasonably expect a handgun to do.

that this caliber is anything but anemic and not very reliable in stopping a fight.

:rolleyes:

I'll paraphrase what Larry Vickers said at a recent class I was at:

"I don't know of any department that issues 9mm's with decent ammo that is unhappy with the performance on the street."

You don't seem to realize that the science of terminal ballistics has advanced considerably since 1982.

I was carrying a 9mm comfortably with good ammo LONG before the Obama ammo prices. Police departments with good ammo were killing bad guys with 9mm handguns LONG before Obama ammo prices.

We have a whole forum dedicated to terminal ballistics:

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

I suggest some quality time reading what is found in there. Pay particular attention to these pictures:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq319/DocGKR/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq319/DocGKR/Handgun_expanded_JHP.jpg

Good 9mm loads penetrate and expand reliably in scientific testing and in real world shootings. Note the difference in expansion between the .45 and the 9mm...if someone is convinced that the extra .12 inches of diameter is the difference between "anemic" and the hammer of Thor, they need their heads examined.

vaglocker
03-25-10, 07:33
My son just got me a G19 RTF with a OD frame, night sights and SF Regimental Crest engraved on it. However, I've a bullet caster and shoot lots of lead. Do I need to ditch the factory barrel and buy a after market bbl for lead?

CD

No need to ditch the factory barrel, Just get a Lone Wolf barrel for shooting lead.

Moose-Knuckle
03-25-10, 08:14
I have carried a G19 every day with me since 2003, it is my favorite CCW. When the Gen 4 comes out this summer I will more than likely get my fiance' one as her hands are much smaller than my own (provided they are reliable as the Gen 3).

Mark71
03-25-10, 08:24
That is the only issue that I have with Glocks. I have performed a homemade fix on all of mine by removing the finger grooves with a dremel and stippling the grip.

Any pics to see how it looks? This is my only issue with Glocks as well and have been thinking about removing/sanding off the grips.

Thanks

cathellsk
03-25-10, 09:41
Outside of guns specifically for pocket carry (NAA .22 mag, KT .32, S&W .38) the only handguns I own glock 19s, and I have a few and looking to get a few more. I'm still toying with setups to find my ideal, but one must is a trip to Boresight Solutions to get the grips fixed and the grooves removed.

I don't get to keep up with every topic on here so may have missed it. Did you get rid of your 1911s Rob?

I also love the G19 and have two currently, one each of the Gen2 and Gen3. When the Gen4 comes out I'll have one of those too. I recently got a Gen4 G17 and G22 and absolutely love them. I now have over 1k rounds through the G17 and have not had one single issue, so I'm having high hopes for the Gen4 G19 too.

Copis
03-25-10, 10:59
It is minimum $425 now and higher depending on what you buy. By the time you pay the membership fee it's not such a great deal any more.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

Or if you LEO, active duty, retired military, firefighter, and others you can get 9, 40, 357 for $419 and .45 and 10mm for $480.

oooooops......thanks for the update HK

rob_s
03-25-10, 11:07
Did you get rid of your 1911s Rob?

Do a search for "WTS" posts by me. ;)

Every 1911, every 1911 magazine, every 1911 magazine pouch, every 1911 holster... all either sold, given away, thrown out, or lost. :D

cathellsk
03-25-10, 11:19
Do a search for "WTS" posts by me. ;)

Every 1911, every 1911 magazine, every 1911 magazine pouch, every 1911 holster... all either sold, given away, thrown out, or lost. :D

Dang! I know you've mentioned it in the past.
I have a habit of cut/paste memorable quotes from the forums and saving them in emails to myself. Here's one from you....

Buy a 6920 and put an Aimpoint and s Surefire on it, along with a quality two-point sling.

Buy a Glock 19 and put a set of Warren sights on it and buy a quality kydex holster.

The above, x2 in some cases, plus the rest of the gun budget spent on magazines, ammo and training, would serve 95% of all gun owners. Toss in a .22 caliber conversion for both guns, and you just took it to 99%.

I swear to christ sometimes I think of starting over from scratch, emptying the safe, and doing just that.

Always liked this one....:)
Thanks!

BLACK LION
03-25-10, 14:29
I am in the Glock boat even though I used to be somewhat of a hater. Most of that stemmed from the overwhelming commonality of them...from people that carry them illegaly every day to those that chase them with one on thier hip. I see the commonality as a huge bonus on so many levels now so that was just plain ignorance.
Although I have not fully converted since I do not own one yet I am seriously contemplating a G17. I can get a gently used one with 4 mags for 525.00 if I act now. I am still on the fence becuase of the M&P9 but I cant get one with a thumb safety so if I have to go with no external safety other than the trigger, I would rather have a Glock.
I can train more with a 9mm and I can put a reliable pistol in my wife and daughters hands and feel secure knowing they are proficient and it will go bang when they press the trigger.
All my pistols are .45 and i dont want or need another... I would never part with them becuase they fit me, I can handle them well and I have become somewhat proficient with them even at distances past 100yds.
I could actually be better with a 9mm and have proven that to myself with a G19 before.
A G19 leaves my pinky in the wind even with the grip extensions on the mag, even though I can shoot it...it does not fit me.
What I have come to realize is that I can find parts for, fix and feed a glock unlike any other...I can also shoot an animal dead with a 9mm just the same as my .45... In fact, I can place my shots closer together with one....meaning, well sad to say I am possibly more accurate and in turn more efficient with a 9mm...
I still only get 10+1 regardless.

HK45
03-25-10, 16:10
oooooops......thanks for the update HK

NP, the price increase was pretty recent.

GermanSynergy
03-25-10, 19:42
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/steyraug21/glock19c.jpg

Love it.

GhostB14
03-25-10, 22:15
I am a huge 1911/45 fan, and I always will be. I carried an XD45 when I could stand to lug the thing. Picked up a 19(first Glock) last Sat. put 200 rounds through it within hours of purchase. Guess where it has been all day every day since? Warren sights and maybe a Vickers mag release are the only mods I'd like to do to it.

BigJoe
03-25-10, 23:37
picking up my 19 this weekend, lol. also a 45 fan and tend to shoot sigs, and 1911's more then glocks but got it in a trade and couldn't pass it up.

Sproggy
03-26-10, 09:01
The G19 is a fantastic gun, I have 2 and wont part with them for any reason. I have an issued G17 as well that I love even more. For some reason I find that the 17 is just more comfortable to shoot for longer periods than the 19. But I carry a 19 with me at all times when im off duty and It shoots just as well!

SWATcop556
03-26-10, 20:05
If I woke up tomorrow and I was told my dept will only let me carry a G19 I wouldn't think twice.

If I woke up tomorrow and I was told I could only have one handgun I would pick a G19.

I'm allowed to carry a wide variety of handguns at work and 75% is a G19. The other 25% it's a G17 or G26.

It also sounds like someone needs to brush up on modern ballistic information and bullet technology.

cathellsk
03-26-10, 23:34
If I woke up tomorrow and I was told I could only have one handgun I would pick a G19.

While the idea of that sucks, I have thought of it in the past and said the same thing. And I would have more money in my bank account, saved up from not buying a bunch of other guns/accessories. :p

SeaSoldier
03-27-10, 11:13
I wish I could retrieve all the money I have spent on 1911's, holster's, gear etc. I have in the last 6 months consolidated all my handguns to 9mm. I have had extensive training using the G19 and shoot it quite well. Not sure why I kept dumping boat loads of money into the 1911, maybe a masculinity thing? Now I'm down to a few G19's, M&P9's and a Yost 9mm HiPower. My 650 is set up for 9mm and I have enough components for a lot of shooting. Will someone please slap me before I spend money on a Wilson 9mm CQB.

tpd223
03-27-10, 16:30
Here we go again with another 9mm is as good as a .357mag fantasy.

Depends on what we are talking about;

Pushing a 180gr LSWC at max speed out of a 4' gun to use for bear defense?

No, 9mm isn't up to the task

Pushing a 124/125gr JHP around 1300fps from a carry sized handgun?

9mm = .357mag FACT!

I've attended the autopsies involving folks shot with each of these rounds, and rubber necked in the trauma room when the bullet catchers lived through the hit.

The effect to the shootee is identical.

Back to the G19;

I bought one shortly after my last post in this thread. I had always had G22/17s and G27/26s for carry, never felt the need for a G19 before. While at OMB one day they had one on the shelf and I made an impulse buy.

I have carried this gun daily (off-duty) ever since I qual'd with it.

Now that I have a G19 I have no idea how I ever lived without this pistol. It's basically the same size and weight as my old Colt Detective Special, fires a superior round, and carries enough ammo on board to nearly match my entire basic load-out back when I carried a wheelgun on duty.

In addition, the gun is extraordinarily reliable, durable, easy to clean and detail strip (sand and salt water happen sometimes), easy to get parts, accessories and and holsters for.

What's not to like? (I actually like the finger grooves on the Glocks, guess I'm weird like that).

Mark/MO
03-27-10, 17:14
The Glock 19 is my favorite model. After 9/11 my wife, who has never been a shooter, decided she wanted a handgun in the house that "she could handle". Her uncle (DEA agent) and her cousin (local LE) both had suggested Glocks to her and that was what she thought she wanted. So we went the local gun store and let her handle all the different models. She finally settled on a lightly used 2nd generation G-19. Since then I have shot a few different models but the 19 is still my favorite.

In my opinion and as others have pointed out, the gun seems to be the perfect size, not too big but not too small. Adequate caliber with good ammo, large capacity, rugged and light weight; what's not to like? In fact I liked the first one so much I bought a second last year ... for me. Overall I'm quite happy my wife talked me into buying that first one. :D

RyanS
03-27-10, 20:42

CD

I would love to see some pictures of this Glock. A RTF G19 is on my short list of firearms and finding one with an OD frame would probably put it on top.

As far as the G19 as a platform goes, it's pretty much my platform of choice. Aside from .22s, I've gotten rid of everything else and I'm down to 2 G19s and looking to add one more. While I haven't shot USPSA for a few years, I think that I might start up again this summer so I might have to add a G17 or G34.

QuietShootr
03-27-10, 21:05

CD

Yes. Lead is not safe in a factory Glock barrel.

That said: I load a LOT, and in the summer I cast a double shitload of pistol bullets (mostly .45 200gr LSWC). I stopped screwing with 9mm and started buying the Rainier copper-plated bullets. They're only a few dollars more a thousand than unjacketed lead, and they load well and shoot clean.

However - if I were trying to be prepared for ultimate SHTF, I'd still get a conventionally rifled barrel of some kind. I use a Jarvis.

testudo
03-27-10, 22:41
The Glock 19 is my favorite handgun for the reasons listed in this thread. When playing the "if I could only have one pistol" game, the G19 is my pick. My only real gripes with the pistol are the plastic sights that come on some models and the finger grooves. Good thing is this is an easy fix :)

Here is a picture of some "kitchen gunsmithing." The receiver was painted after the finger grooves were removed.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/testudo13/IMG_1524.jpg

I also put on aftermarket night sights, TD/Vickers mag release, and the NY1/3.5 trigger.

I am going to pick up another G19 this month

skyugo
03-27-10, 23:37
The Glock 19 is my favorite handgun for the reasons listed in this thread. When playing the "if I could only have one pistol" game, the G19 is my pick. My only real gripes with the pistol are the plastic sights that come on some models and the finger grooves. Good thing is this is an easy fix :)

Here is a picture of some "kitchen gunsmithing." The receiver was painted after the finger grooves were removed.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/testudo13/IMG_1524.jpg

I also put on aftermarket night sights, TD/Vickers mag release, and the NY1/3.5 trigger.

I am going to pick up another G19 this month

that looks really good. :cool:

Combat_Diver
03-27-10, 23:43
Thanks for the feed back guys. My son picked up the Glock last week and I'll post some pics when I get it.

CD

one
03-29-10, 01:55
Testudo, what did you use to paint the frame? And is it holding up to your satisfaction so far?

testudo
03-30-10, 00:46
I used Brownells Alumahyde and it is holding up better than I expected, but there are chips here and there from use. One thing to keep in mind is this stuff takes a long time to cure... a really long time.

one
03-30-10, 01:30
Thanks for the tip, it looks good in the pic.

blackscot
03-30-10, 09:45
I've been playing with a CZ75B SA at IDPA matches for the past few months, but am now going to return to using the G19 that I've carried nearly daily for the past 3+ years.

Based on my past performance, I think that with enough drilling I just barely might be able to make Expert in SSP division. A classifier match is scheduled at my local club for this July -- we shall see.:rolleyes:

I'd like to be an "Expert" in at least one IDPA division (am currently Sharpshooter in all except ESR, which I've never shot). It would be really cool to make it with the G19.:cool:

JBecker 72
03-30-10, 09:57
I love my 19.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Guns/004.jpg

blackscot
04-01-10, 06:46
Gee Jack, that looks just like mine.

Hey wait a minute -- now where did mine go? :eek:

Randy :D

HK45
04-01-10, 10:50
The G19 is a fantastic gun, I have 2 and wont part with them for any reason. I have an issued G17 as well that I love even more. For some reason I find that the 17 is just more comfortable to shoot for longer periods than the 19. But I carry a 19 with me at all times when im off duty and It shoots just as well!

Maybe because of the grips size and length on the 17. Try a Pearce grip extension. Made the 19 much more usable for me.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/IMG_1197.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/IMG_1198.jpg

jasonhgross
04-01-10, 12:46
Dang! I know you've mentioned it in the past.
I have a habit of cut/paste memorable quotes from the forums and saving them in emails to myself. Here's one from you....

Buy a 6920 and put an Aimpoint and s Surefire on it, along with a quality two-point sling.

Buy a Glock 19 and put a set of Warren sights on it and buy a quality kydex holster.

The above, x2 in some cases, plus the rest of the gun budget spent on magazines, ammo and training, would serve 95% of all gun owners. Toss in a .22 caliber conversion for both guns, and you just took it to 99%.

I swear to christ sometimes I think of starting over from scratch, emptying the safe, and doing just that.

Always liked this one....:)
Thanks!

That is EXACTLY what I did, except for a PM9 and Jframe for "always" carry. I am on the way to the second AR to complete the overhaul. Current:

Glock 19 - heinie night sights
Glock 19 2 - Heinie night sights.
Colt 6920 with aimpoint T-1
S&W 642
Kahr PM9
Advantage Arms 22 kit for glocks
Ceiner kit for colt 6920

HK45
04-01-10, 12:54
Pay particular attention to these pictures:
Good 9mm loads penetrate and expand reliably in scientific testing and in real world shootings. Note the difference in expansion between the .45 and the 9mm...if someone is convinced that the extra .12 inches of diameter is the difference between "anemic" and the hammer of Thor, they need their heads examined.

Pretty pictures, seen them many times, very popular with ammo "experts", manufacturers, and on internet forums. Not very useful. They are an indication of how a round acts in a consistent medium and the human body is anything but that. I've seen people shot with about everything you can imagine and one thing I know is the results are not often consistent. I do carry Cor-Bon DPX 115gr 9mm and feel pretty good about it. It took me awhile to feel that way after a lifetime of .45. My nagging concern is that a 230 grain Gold Dot or equivalent is more likely to smash through bone and various density tissue to reach vital organs. Gel doesn't test this. Neither do wet phonebooks or water jugs.

DocGKR
04-01-10, 14:58
"Pretty pictures, seen them many times, very popular with ammo "experts", manufacturers, and on internet forums. Not very useful. They are an indication of how a round acts in a consistent medium and the human body is anything but that. I've seen people shot with about everything you can imagine and one thing I know is the results are not often consistent."

Given all the wound ballistic data that has been published over the past two decades, I am surprised regarding the continued amount of misinformation being perpetuated about this subject, especially in light of the voluminous results available from CONUS OIS incidents, as well as OCONUS combat results.

A variety of equally important methodologies are used for terminal performance testing, including actual shooting incident reconstruction, forensic evidence analysis, and post-mortem data and/or surgical findings; properly conducted ethical animal test results; and laboratory testing—this includes the use of tissue simulants proven to have correlation with living tissue. Some individuals seem to be under the mistaken impression that one of these areas is more important than others--this is not the case, as each category provides important information to researchers.

The IWBA published some of Gene Wolberg’s material from his study of San Diego PD officer involved shootings that compared bullet performance in calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin with the autopsy results using the same ammunition. When I last spoke with Mr. Wolberg in May of 2000, he had collected data on nearly 150 OIS incidents which showed the majority of the 9mm 147 gr bullets fired by officers had penetrated 13 to 15 inches and expanded between 0.60 to 0.62 inches in both human tissue and 10% ordnance gelatin. Several other agencies with strong, scientifically based ammunition terminal performance testing programs have conducted similar reviews of their shooting incidents with much the same results--there is an extremely strong correlation between properly conducted and interpreted 10% ordnance gelatin laboratory studies and the physiological effects of projectiles in actual shooting incidents.

The last several years of OCONUS military operations have provided a tremendous amount of combat derived terminal performance information. The U.S. government gathered numerous experts from a variety of disciplines, including military and law enforcement end-users, trauma surgeons, aero ballisticians, weapon and munitions engineers, and other scientific specialists to form the Joint Service Wound Ballistic Integrated Product Team to conduct a 4 year, 6 million dollar study to determine what terminal performance assessment best reflected the actual findings noted in combat the past few years. The test protocol that was found to be correct, valid, and became the agreed upon JSWB-IPT “standard” evolved from the one first developed by Dr. Fackler at LAIR in the 1980’s, promoted by the IWBA in the 1990’s, and used by most reputable wound ballistic researchers.

The JSWB-IPT, FBI BRF, AFTE, and other such organizations get to assess an extensive amount of post-shooting forensic data. The whole raison d'ętre of these independent, non-profit groups is to interpret and disseminate information that will help LE and military personnel more safely and effectively perform their duties and missions. Physiological damage potential is the only metric that has been shown to have any correlation with field results in actual shooting incidents, based on law enforcement autopsy findings, as well as historical and ongoing combat trauma results. In other words a damage-based metric has relevance to and accurately reflects the real world, while other measures of "lethality" and "incapacitation" are elaborate fantasy games of mathematical calculations and engineering statistics that fail to truly reflect the fact that in the gritty realm of face-to-face combat, incapacitating the enemy is about rapidly inflicting sufficient physiological damage to the enemy’s critical anatomic structures in order to stop that opponent from continuing to be a lethal threat. The FBI BRF, NSWC Crane, USMC, and USSOCOM are all using physiological damage based metrics.

"My nagging concern is that a 230 grain Gold Dot or equivalent is more likely to smash through bone and various density tissue to reach vital organs. Gel doesn't test this."

Actually gel can be used for this, as there have been numerous tests where various bones are placed into gel, including ribs and femurs. In general, projectiles that do well in automobile windshield intermediate barrier tests tend to work well against tougher anatomic structures, including dense bone.

HK45
04-01-10, 16:37
Understood. But I am referring to showing one or two pictures of gel only as if it tells you everything you need to know. I view it as one data point that on its own is not significant other than as a high level indicator of how a given round might perform in that medium.

INMIline
04-01-10, 16:58
G19 with big dot XS sights is the best way to travel!

JHC
04-01-10, 18:57
The U.S. government gathered numerous experts from a variety of disciplines, including military and law enforcement end-users, trauma surgeons, aero ballisticians, weapon and munitions engineers, and other scientific specialists to form the Joint Service Wound Ballistic Integrated Product Team to conduct a 4 year, 6 million dollar study to determine what terminal performance assessment best reflected the actual findings noted in combat the past few years. The test protocol that was found to be correct, valid, and became the agreed upon JSWB-IPT “standard” evolved from the one first developed by Dr. Fackler at LAIR in the 1980’s, promoted by the IWBA in the 1990’s, and used by most reputable wound ballistic researchers.

Doc, did this analysis contribute to the termination of a project to purchase a new .45acp in large volume for general issue?

DocGKR
04-02-10, 00:32
Not at all.

For military handguns shooting Hague compliant non-deforming FMJ ammunition, the only way to increase the wound size is to shoot a larger projectile, thus .45 ACP is the best option from a terminal performance perspective. If expanding ammunition, including EFMJ, is available then .40 and 9 mm make more sense due to the larger magazine capacity.

TheSmiter1
04-02-10, 02:57
Not at all.

For military handguns shooting Hague compliant non-deforming FMJ ammunition, the only way to increase the wound size is to shoot a larger projectile, thus .45 ACP is the best option from a terminal performance perspective. If expanding ammunition, including EFMJ, is available then .40 and 9 mm make more sense due to the larger magazine capacity.

Is 9mm faring well at all in its FMJ form, in military applications? The difference in FMJ still seems minimal, at best.

I guess I'm just curious as to how much better .45 fmj is than 9mm fmj.

I know I have a low post count but I usually post at ar15.com and read everywhere, and from what I read on Dr. Fackler's reports, even in FMJ there doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

TheSmiter1
04-02-10, 03:23
Double Tap.

Detmongo
04-02-10, 11:02
Guys
lets keep this thread about the G.19. we can discuss ballistics in the proper forum. that being said i just picked up my fourth g19 this am. this 19 came from a buddy that didn't want it anymore hence i told him i give it a good home. she happens to be a 2nd gen. in mint condition. i like the 2nd gens as they fit my hand better than the 3rd gens with the finger groves, the groves are to narrow for my fingers (my hands are on the large size;)).

OutlawDon
04-02-10, 16:13
I don't need to say anymore than what's been mentioned already. I love my G19. It's dethroned my Kimber Stainless Custom II.

http://healthbydon.com/glock19.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
04-02-10, 17:17
I don't need to say anymore than what's been mentioned already. I love my G19. It's dethroned my Kimber Stainless Custom II.

http://healthbydon.com/glock19.jpg

Sweet pic! I normally don't like shiny guns but that one is perdy... :cool:

OutlawDon
04-02-10, 21:28
Sweet pic! I normally don't like shiny guns but that one is perdy... :cool:

Thanks man! Did the best I could do pretty up an otherwise "ugly" and common gun. :)