PDA

View Full Version : LCP or 442

Gentoo
03-24-09, 21:29
If you could pick one, and only one, which one would it be and why?

cathellsk
03-24-09, 21:57
442 & here's why....
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

Marcus L.
03-24-09, 22:05
cathellsk's link to Dr. Roberts post is right on. The 442 will not let you down, and the .38spl+P is far superior to the .380acp.

John_Wayne777
03-25-09, 07:27
If you could pick one, and only one, which one would it be and why?

I own both.

The 442 is carried daily. The LCP is carried occasionally.

If I had to get rid of one, the LCP would go without a second thought.

Why:

1. Reliability -- The 442 is more reliable than the LCP. I've had good reliability with my LCP so far, but it's still a pocket sized semi-auto and pocket sized semi-autos are sensitive little bastards that choke for any number of reasons.

2. Power -- The .38 spl. loaded properly exceeds the minimum required performance, which is pretty impressive given the dimensions and weight of the revolver.

3. Durability -- The 442 will probably out-live me. I don't know about the LCP.

The LCP is easier to carry and easier to conceal...and it's a great pistol to have on you when you're in the gym on the treadmill. Prior to getting the LCP all I had was a knife. An LCP isn't much, but when the alternative is nothing, it's great.

For daily carry as a BUG (or a deep concealment primary) I will always prefer the 442.

jcase64
03-25-09, 08:05
I voted for Lcp by accident. 442 all the way.

markm
03-25-09, 08:21
I wouldn't take an LCP for FREE!!!

I'd take the 442, and then give it to someone else for free.

RWK
03-25-09, 08:38
LCP = Little Crappy Pistol...???

I voted for the 442 but, my recommendation would be for a M&P 340. It's lighter in weight, has an XS tritium front sight, and has a slightly wider rear sight channel than the 442. The downside being that it's considerably more expensive than the 442.

1. Reliability -- The 442 is more reliable than the LCP. I've had good reliability with my LCP so far, but it's still a pocket sized semi-auto and pocket sized semi-autos are sensitive little bastards that choke for any number of reasons.

Hm, maybe that should relegate the LCP to the "carry never" bin?

David Thomas
03-25-09, 09:20
I voted 442, but any J-frame would do. I have a 37 w/bobbed hammer on my ankle right now.

heijutsu
03-25-09, 10:21
What about the LCR? Lightweight, shoots 38 +P.

Dave L.
03-25-09, 10:40
Has Ruger even gotten the kinks worked out of the LCP yet? If they haven't, the LCP should not even be a consideration at this point.

woodandsteel
03-25-09, 11:01
I voted for the 442.

I have the LCP. I like the LCP. But, I have found that when carrying it in my left front pocket (weak side), the magazing tends to release on it's own.

I am going to be buying a 442 soon, as a weak side back up gun. At that time the LCP may still get used, but only in very limited capacity.

ST911
03-25-09, 11:46
It's tough to beat a J-frame.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/Eotac%20Comp/EotacJFrames.jpg

white spaniard
03-25-09, 12:10
I made the mistake about buying my wife one LCP she absolutely hates it too snappy for her, and she said it wasn’t pleasant to shoot either.

rathos
03-25-09, 16:00
Go to a range, rent both and try them. Or if you have friends that have those guns try them out. While the LCP is still fairly new and might have some kinks, I shoot them better then my 442. I have less recoil from an LCP and I can get out fairly accurate at 25 yards if need be. With my 442 I am lucky if I can hit anything with it out to 10'. I know most of that is just practice, but live fire is not pleasant with my 442, whereas the LCP isn't bad for me.

On the same token, a friend of mine shoots my 442 as well as any large handgun I have and he hates the LCP with a passion.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't let someone else make the decision for you. Try them both and YOU decide.

DRich
03-25-09, 16:22
I voted 442, but any J-frame would do. I have a 37 w/bobbed hammer on my ankle right now.

My "primary" carry gun is a Sig P228 that I carry most of the time. My BUG is a 35yr old Model 36 that goes in my pocket ALL the time. There are lighter, sexier guns out there, but the J-frames are pretty damn close to perfect for their intended role.

LonghunterCO
03-25-09, 19:23
I would not what to get into another cal. 442 all the way.

John_Wayne777
03-25-09, 19:30
LCP = Little Crappy Pistol...???

I voted for the 442 but, my recommendation would be for a M&P 340. It's lighter in weight, has an XS tritium front sight, and has a slightly wider rear sight channel than the 442. The downside being that it's considerably more expensive than the 442.

Hm, maybe that should relegate the LCP to the "carry never" bin?

Depends on your alternatives, in my opinion....it's better than nothing when I'm on the treadmill and it's easy to throw into the pocket of a coat as a tertiary for some situations...

...but I really, really, REALLY wouldn't want to be trying to stop a lethal threat with one.

It is what it is...a light, compact, relatively inexpensive pocket auto. It's more capable than a lot of people realize, especially with the addition of a CT module. (A necessity on these types of pistols, in my opinion...) It's a rule 1 gun (Rule 1 of a gunfight...have a gun) but that's about as far as it goes, in my opinion.

John_Wayne777
03-25-09, 19:48
I guess what I am trying to say is don't let someone else make the decision for you. Try them both and YOU decide.

While I agree that ultimately it has to be a decision made by the individual based on conditions unique to the individual, there is much to be gained by listening to the ideas and input of people who know what they are talking about. There is a wealth of knowledge concentrated here that you just don't see many other places on the errornet.

C4IGrant
03-25-09, 20:35
So what you are telling me is that the 442's I have in stock (without internal locks) are worth some money?? :-)

C4

USMGoldenEagle
03-25-09, 20:55
I own a 442. I used it in an ankle holster. It is great. I don't know about the LCP. I have never shot one or even held one. From what I can tell it is similar to a Keltec and I can't stand those mini-pistols. Every time I have seen someone at the range with a Keltec they are constantly trying to clear jams. The 442 will be reliable, it is lightweight, and easy to carry.

geezerbutler
03-25-09, 23:44
I picked the 442 as well although my main BU piece - contains 12 ounces of S&W J-Frame goodness, the 340PD. Made of scandium and titanium.

NoBody
03-26-09, 07:16
Deleted.

maximus83
03-26-09, 15:16
I've had good success with my LCP, after getting some new-model-itis worked out. I don't think of either of these calibers as being outstanding stoppers on a determined adversary, but both have been used to good effect, and are a lot better than a slingshot (well ok: not if it's the guy that could shot flies off a plant with his slingshot, but for MOST guys with a slingshot.....). Try both and use the one that works best for you.

Cold Zero
03-26-09, 16:44
Anyone know of a place that has LCP's in stock?

maximus83
03-26-09, 18:30
Cold, there are about 20 of them listed on Gunbroker. And the prices are pretty fair, considering how popular they've gotten. Few retailers seem to have them, though.

Abraxas
03-26-09, 18:43
I
Why:

2. Power -- The .38 spl. loaded properly exceeds the minimum required performance, which is pretty impressive given the dimensions and weight of the revolver.

3. Durability -- The 442 will probably out-live me. I don't know about the LCP.

The LCP is easier to carry and easier to conceal...and it's a great pistol to have on you when you're in the gym on the treadmill. Prior to getting the LCP all I had was a knife. An LCP isn't much, but when the alternative is nothing, it's great.

For daily carry as a BUG (or a deep concealment primary) I will always prefer the 442.
My thoughts exactly

tpd223
03-26-09, 19:38
I've carried J frames for over 22 years in a BUG role, they have never failed me.

I have had two Kel Tecs and a LCP (basically the same gun by two different makers). The LCP had to go back to Ruger twice. I no longer own it. The Kel Tecs are long gone.

The Kel Tec and LCP design are light duty weapons that need the owner to keep a close eye of maintenance, cleaning and ammo to be sure the gun is minimally reliable.

I know of three cases so far where Kel Tecs have broken the hammer spring due to rust, due to be carried close to the body and subject to sweat.

This malfunction is something that comes without warning. The design of these guns makes them very tough to work on and detail clean and inspect.

The new Kahr .380 might be worth having in this role, but that remains to be seen.

BrentPete
03-26-09, 20:49
The question was "one and only one" so I answered 442. But the LCP has a size advantage that I think could be beneficial as a BUG.:cool:

ToddG
03-27-09, 10:56
I'm clearly in the minority, but I picked the LCP. I own both, carried the 442 as a backup for quite a while, and have now relegated it to sitting in a safe while the LCP goes with me everywhere I'm carrying a gun.

I understand it's not as powerful.
I understand it's not as proven.
I understand there was a recall.

The LCP is smaller, lighter, and flatter. This makes it more comfortable to carry and in certain limited situations, I can carry it when a 442 wouldn't be practical.

The LCP is easier for me to shoot fast & accurately. I can shoot a couple hundred rounds of full power loads during a practice session without hurting myself.

The LCP is faster to reload and carrying spare ammunition takes up substantially less space. It also has a slightly higher capacity to begin with.

The LCP has a manual of arms much closer to my standard carry gun than a revolver would.

Now if the poll had said I could only own one handgun, total, and it had to be the LCP or 442 then I would have picked the 442. But as a BUG (95% of the time) I find the LCP works better for me.

ROCKET20_GINSU
03-30-09, 15:51
I wanted a stainless gun for once =)

I set my minimum pistol ammo potency factor at .38 spc. Thats just a personal rule for me, but its one that I don't break. I find the J frames to be one of the most CCW practical pistols out there, like the Honda civic or accord. Its stupid simple to pocket carry and if you are not engaging in high risk activities its plenty of pistol and provides me a solid piece of mind.

It is slower to reload than the LPC, and it does have a lower capacity, but I accept it for what it is because I prefer the near ABSOLUTE reliability of this BUG.

Throw on a set of laser grips (MANDATORY IMO), get a mika pocket holster, buy some speer 135 gr gold dots for your SBR (short Barreled Revolver lol), and a couple of speed strips/speed loaders and enjoy a little piece of mind.

I'm guilty of not practicing with my BUG enough, so don't repeat my mistake, but for its intended purpose I really don't think you can go wrong with a S&W J frame. Its a versatile, practical and potent little pistol.

GU

tpd223
04-01-09, 03:28
Todd,

Baby Jesus weeps when he hears of a 442 that is a safe queen. These guns need to be carried.

I prefer the 642 as noted above, but regardless you should send that 442 to me so that it gets to fullfill it's purpose in life :)

I promise to shoot it often and carry it daily at work for a BUG.

brushy bill
12-12-09, 20:49
Model 40 only because doesn't come with a lock.

kmrtnsn
12-12-09, 21:21
When it comes down to it the LCP is nothing more than the Kel-Tec it was based on.

woodandsteel
12-12-09, 21:52
When it comes down to it the LCP is nothing more than the Kel-Tec it was based on.

True. But it is a bit more refined.:)

kmrtnsn
12-12-09, 22:02
Grandpa had a saying, "no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd".

Pilgrim
12-13-09, 01:10
It's a close one, but I voted for the LCP.

I've got two early model LCP's that... ARE NOT FOR SALE... for anything less than three times what I paid for them. I've tried a shoe box full of semi-auto BUGS in the past 27 years, and the LCP is equal in reliability to my favorite BUG, the Beretta 950BS, and has a lot more spunk.

Mine are super reliable and shockingly accurate with FMJ bullets.

There are 3 of us at work that carry them and none of us have any issues... yet.

I sent one back for the recall, but kept one with the original trigger, as it has such a sweet pull, that I hated to lose it.

I will admit that the LCP's accuracy advantage over the J-Frame has me lean more in that direction.

What we have with the LCP/P3AT, is an inexpensive mass produced DA auto .380 ACP, that is sized in a 25 ACP envelope, and people still bitch about it!

Trouble I have with the J-Frame is that it prints too much in my pocket and the cylinder digs into my leg. Yeah I know, Waaaa like a baby from me, but I carry the LCP all day long and never even feel the gun there. Kinda tough to have a 32 inch waist line and hide a pistol in your pants pocket at the same time.

I don't have the Crimson Trace on mine, but the boss man does, I never thought I'd want a lazer on a gun, but dang if it don't work good.

The LCP is just a BUG for me also, I look at it as kinda more of a knife than a gun, if that makes any sense.

For me the LCP is something I can stick in my pocket and work all day with undetected and and unhindered, and when I walk out to my truck at night, I've got 6 good reasons for the homey to leave me alone, and 6 more reasons should those fail to impress.

SWATcop556
12-13-09, 02:47
I prefer the round in the 442 but the profile of the LCP. I would go with the 442 if I had to choose although Todd makes good points about how the LCP is still a valid option and as JW777 said having a gun is #1 in a gunfight.

Bantee
12-13-09, 19:11
Let the flame begin! I chose the LCP, which I carry in a strong side Meco pocket holster. I'm 5'6 140lbs, and this combo absolutely dissappears on my skinny self "think body of 10 yr. old Asian girl.":D Mine has been utterly reliable for 450 rnds. Very flat, very accurate, very reliable thus far. Real sights would be a plus however.

G-2
12-14-09, 08:24
Vote for the 442 here as well. Can't go wrong with the J-Frame.

Roy
12-14-09, 09:37
I am a J frame Guy for BUG's i carry either a 340 or 642 left front pocket. on duty. I have falled away from doing so off duty because i have noticed that the J frame hits my RCS mag pouch when seated making it hard to sit comfortably.

I do like the profile of the LCP however i havent shot one to comment on it.
I also have a PM9 maybe i should pull that out and give it a try.

Bill Bryant
12-14-09, 11:01
After a good fluff and buff, an LCP can be extremely reliable. I've put many, many rounds of Golden Sabres and Gold Dots through mine without a single malfunction. Not one.

My LCP came out of the first batch (serial no. 370-42**), went back to the factory twice for upgrades (my choice; there were no malfunction from the start), and sports the third generation finger extensions on its magazines. It has the plastic magazine catch with the roll pin insert, and the barrel is un-blued and has a highly polished feed ramp and chamber (Mother's Mag and elbow grease).

I would always rather have my SP101 with me than my LCP. But there are many times when I can't hide my SP101. I'm a (very fit) 5'9" 140 lb. 52 year old man. That doesn't give me as many CCW options as you "big" guys have, so the LCP in the pocket is often my choice.

For you naysayers, polish up one of these pistols till the mechanism runs like butter, make sure it's shooting perfectly, and then tell me if you still don't think it would be a good choice in many situations that prevent carrying a larger weapon.

William B.
12-14-09, 18:00
I bought my wife an LCP a couple of months ago. It's only 100rds into the break-in, so we're still working all of the kinks out. I thought I would have trouble shooting accurately with that trigger, but it turned out to be excellent. I usually conceal a 1911, but if I'm walking the dog or taking trash to the dumpster I usually throw the LCP in my pocket instead. It's perfect as a pocket pistol. You should always know the capabilities and limitations of the weapon you carry, though.

sjohnny
12-15-09, 07:25
I have a 642 that I carry all the time. It's often the only gun I carry when I'm not working depending on what I'm wearing. I don't have a problem carrying it in my front pants pocket. It may print a little bit sometimes but I've had people not notice the full size semi-auto sitting on my hip next to my badge enough times that I don't worry about what's printing in my pocket too often. I have more confidence in the .38+P than the .380 and confidence plays a big role in making it home. I carry mine with 158gr +P LSWCHP. When I run out of those I'll probably try some of the Speer short barrel Gold Dots.

jmp45
12-15-09, 07:44
I've been looking at the LCP for my wife, but I'm not sure now. She really likes it, no problem cycling for her which was an issue with most. A revolver is out of the question, has to be auto.

The problem now I'm reading is it may have too much snap for her. I'm getting mixed signals on that. She's 5'4" and 100 or less lbs. I'd never let her shoot my kel-tec pf-9, way too much snap for her. She does like to shoot and has no problem with my M&P 9. I'll pick one up for her next year, but that may not the best ccw option.