PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6940 in the wild

GlockWRX
03-25-09, 11:50
I was wandering a local shop on Saturday, and spotted something I hadn't seen before: a Colt 6940. This is basically a 6920 with a one piece upper and rail folding front sight. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it, but I did have some first impressions.

It seemed lighter than you'd think. I don't think it's much heavier than a 6920. The sights were pretty weak, IMO. The rear sight looked like one of those MATECH ones, and the front folded into the FSB, but didn't seem to click or snap into place very well. Kind of mushy in it's operation. The rail diameter seemed to be the same as a typical carbine rail, maybe even less. The machine work was pretty good, but I didn't spend a ton of time looking it over. Overall, it seemed like a decent package. Downside was the price: $2500.

markm
03-25-09, 11:59
So that's what this 6940 is that everyone is squaking about in the interwebs. I'm glad it has folding sights..... that way I'll never have the desire to buy one! :cool:

Frens
03-25-09, 12:48
So that's what this 6940 is that everyone is squaking about in the interwebs. I'm glad it has folding sights..... that way I'll never have the desire to buy one! :cool:

the 6941 is supposed to have the good old FSB

you're screwed :p

btw, on TOS there's a really nice review with lot of pics and weight comparison with the 6920

ALCOAR
03-25-09, 16:46
id love to hear from a fellow m4carbiner that has one of the bad lil suckers.... if someone is so lucky to have one, how about a scouting report. I love the true-mono rail system like lmts, or a vltor vis, and a colt with one might just be my next purchase instead of darn spr/mark 12 which requires to many parts that are being horded right now.

chadbag
03-25-09, 17:18
I did not shoot it but there was one for T&E at the Pat Rogers class I was at in Arizona 2 weeks ago

whitecoyote
04-11-09, 17:24
The 6940 has folding front & rear sights, and no delta ring.

DrDoot
04-15-09, 13:27
Looks like a gimmick to me.

sundance435
04-19-09, 11:58
id love to hear from a fellow m4carbiner that has one of the bad lil suckers.... if someone is so lucky to have one, how about a scouting report. I love the true-mono rail system like lmts, or a vltor vis, and a colt with one might just be my next purchase instead of darn spr/mark 12 which requires to many parts that are being horded right now.

I just picked mine up on Friday. $1345 delivered from an LE dealer.:D There is actually more play between the upper and lower than on my 6920. It is a very nice gun though. I am a little ticked that there were no magazines or the sling attachment for the front.

As far as the folding sights, the front folder seems to be very sturdy and the rear is a standard Matech unit.

Anyway, I'll give a shooting report as soon as I can get to the range.

1SFG
04-19-09, 12:14
sundance, that's the best price I've seen. My local dealer had one on Saturday and he was charging $1999.00. Seemed like a nice gun overall, but I couldn't stomach the price.

Shihan
04-19-09, 17:22
Looks like a gimmick to me.

Why a gimmick?

Ryo
05-27-09, 19:39
I just picked mine up on Friday. $1345 delivered from an LE dealer.:D There is actually more play between the upper and lower than on my 6920. It is a very nice gun though. I am a little ticked that there were no magazines or the sling attachment for the front.

As far as the folding sights, the front folder seems to be very sturdy and the rear is a standard Matech unit.

Anyway, I'll give a shooting report as soon as I can get to the range.

You got it cheaper than me, but mine came with sling and 2 20rd mags. Looks nice. Don't know when I will get a chance to try it out.