PDA

View Full Version : Broke Down and bought a Liberty Safe

HTTTRH
03-25-09, 15:34
Went out today and bought a Liberty Colonial Series safe. It is the glossy black one, wondering if anyone here has one and can tell me how you like it. I couldnt find anything bad on these safes so I dropped a few dollars on one.

Shihan
03-25-09, 15:54
LMAO your supposed to ask BEFORE you buy:D They are great safes and you will like it.

OPPFOR
03-25-09, 16:05
I have a Liberty Centurion size 12. I bought the small one (280 lbs.) just in case I have to move it. I like to have the safes upstairs. It's 5 feet tall and fits in a large closet easily.

Interior is nice with shelves and brackets thay you can place at different heights or remove to make more room for long guns. I have the rotating dial lock with no key entry. Some like to have the option of key entry as well so you may want to think about that.

woodandsteel
03-25-09, 16:26
I have had mine for about three years now. I love it. It weighed 800 lbs. before the items were added. It sits in my basement, so it will be a royal pain to remove it.

Mine has the normal, old fashioned style, combination lock. It works very well. Just don't let kids play with it. it could damage the tumblers. that is why there is a key for the dial. It also has the locking bolts on both sides of the door, so it will be harder to break into.

The one I have has a maroon finish on it. Unfortunately, that one is filled beyond capacity. I need to get a second one.

Gramps
03-26-09, 00:17
that is why there is a key for the dial. It also has the locking bolts on both sides of the door, so it will be harder to break into.

I would like to know if the old "Bump Key" would work on that or not. If it would, all the locking bolts wouldn't do much good. I really would like to know if it would work or not.

badka2ma
03-26-09, 00:44
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq293/badka2ma/useless.jpg

woodandsteel
03-26-09, 10:37
I would like to know if the old "Bump Key" would work on that or not. If it would, all the locking bolts wouldn't do much good. I really would like to know if it would work or not.

The only thing that the key locks, is the movement of the dial. It has no effect other than that in regards to opening the safe. It's only meant to protect the dial and the tumblers from people who would play with the dial by trying to spin it.

Cohibra45
03-26-09, 11:04
I've had mine for over 10 years now and it has been a great safe. I would recommend Liberty (and have been ever since I bought it) to anyone without hesitation!!!

Like others have said.......buy bigger than you think you will ever need!!! They fill up fast. Mine has everything from cameras, collector knives, deeds/wills/passports/birth certificates and other important papers along with 7 handguns and 14 long guns!!! I have a Golden Rod dehumidifier and nothing has ever had any rust on it and I have lived on the 'rust' coast in Florida for over 8 years!!!

OPPFOR
03-26-09, 11:05
The only thing that the key locks, is the movement of the dial. It has no effect other than that in regards to opening the safe. It's only meant to protect the dial and the tumblers from people who would play with the dial by trying to spin it.

I had no idea. I thought a keyed safe was for those who do not like remembering combinations. Good to know.

Gramps
03-26-09, 11:44
Originally Posted by Gramps

Thanks, thats what I wanted to here. Haven't had any experience with those at all. I thought maybe they opened the safe in case some one like "ME" forgot their combo.

chuckles
03-26-09, 13:59
I have 3 Liberty safes. I have a Lincoln 50, a Lincoln 35, and a Franklin 50. They are great safes. My residence has a very good monitored Alarm system and a fire sprinkler system. All i really need it to do is buy me 15-20 minutes before Metro arrives. (guns drawn I hope) They provide me with the space and security I need. I opted for non-glossy paint (why pay the $300 for looks) and all of mine have S&G electronic locks. I love mine!:cool:

FLGator
03-26-09, 15:19
Not to hijack but how are you guys anchoring your safe to the floor?
Thanks.

woodandsteel
03-26-09, 16:17
Mine came with a kit that allows you to bolt the safe to the floor, thru the floor of the safe. Just a seet of heavy duty concrete bolts and washers. I am ashamed to say that I haven't done this yet.

However, I have several cases of ammo in the safe helping to hold it down.