PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 and LE use

Slater
03-25-09, 15:49
Is the Beretta 92 series pretty much extinct with Law Enforcement agencies nationwide or is it still around?

rathos
03-25-09, 16:10
My department switched from the 92 last year when beretta told us they would no longer be making the gun and if we wanted parts we should "look on ebay". Shortly after that they switched to glocks.

Slater
03-25-09, 16:13
Damn, that's pretty harsh. If I'm not mistaken the 92 series is still in production (if not in the US, at least in Italy).

rathos
03-25-09, 16:19
They very well could be, but their customer service sucks. Needless to say they lost out on anymore pistols for our department. I know a few guys in the reserves from other departments had to buy their own pistols and two of them bought berettas. they are good guns, I own one, but they do have a lot more moving parts then other pistols on the market.

woodandsteel
03-25-09, 16:32
My department switched from the 92 last year when beretta told us they would no longer be making the gun and if we wanted parts we should "look on ebay". Shortly after that they switched to glocks.

I've heard other people say this, also. I wonder if the beretta people were saying this inorder to get their new 90-two pistols out into the LE market.

rathos
03-25-09, 16:34
I thought that too, but they never offered us deals on the px4 or the new 90-two. They just said no more parts through beretta on the existing 92s we had in service.

DMR
03-25-09, 20:30
Considering the military just dropped a PO for over 400,000 M-9/92's and is processing a new IDIQ contract also it does seem a little harsh.

ST911
03-25-09, 20:52
Is the Beretta 92 series pretty much extinct with Law Enforcement agencies nationwide or is it still around?

I don't know about extinct, but they're an uncommon find most places.

Many of those that still have them have found them hard to get rid of. One gave up and took an offer of $100/ea, and they sat on the buyers shelves at $250 for quite some time. The 92s do get more interest than 96s, though. One agency so afflicted got rid of theirs only with a charity trade into M&Ps.

"Berettas are soooo 80s."

USMGoldenEagle
03-25-09, 20:59
Most of the Florida State Troopers carry the Beretta 96 now. I am not sure about the 92 here. I own one and think it is great. I am very accurate with it and I have never had any issues with it.

Bigun
03-25-09, 21:05
I'm still carrying a 92D Centurion and will be for the forseeable future. I love it and shoot it extremely well, as our 92's start to wear out they will be replaced by Sig 229 DAK's