PDA

View Full Version : 1911 10rd Magazine Recommendations

Outlander Systems
03-25-09, 20:55
Looking for some 10 rounders for the 1911.

I have absolutely ZERO experience with 10 rounders. I'm looking for some advice on which ones are GTG and which ones are "range use only".

:confused:

Bigun
03-25-09, 21:08
I have 6 of the CMC power 10 mags all have run perfectly through my Springfield and Kimbers.

Derek_Connor
03-25-09, 21:09
Looking for some 10 rounders for the 1911.

I have absolutely ZERO experience with 10 rounders. I'm looking for some advice on which ones are GTG and which ones are "range use only".

:confused:

While it may be time consuming and a money pit, I recommend the following:

By 2 magazines of each: Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripp Research

Run several hundred rounds through each, document meticously, and go from there.

David Thomas
03-25-09, 21:19
While it may be time consuming and a money pit, I recommend the following:

By 2 magazines of each: Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripp Research

Run several hundred rounds through each, document meticously, and go from there.

good advice.

My experience:

The Chip McCormick 10 round mags have always worked good for me in all of my 1911's, but I just bought Tripp upgrade kits for all of mine to replace the follower and some very rusty springs.

My Chip McCormick 10 rounders are at least 5 years old and were not maintained or cared for properly, i.e. they were never cleaned or oiled. The rusty springs still work and the mags lock the slide open, but I figured I better quit testing Mr. Murphy.

VooDoo6Actual
03-25-09, 21:32
CMC 10 rnd. "Power" Mags.

decodeddiesel
03-25-09, 22:23
CMC 10 rnd. "Power" Mags.

These have been the best I have found. Unfortunately, according to many very credible sources here (Most notably DocGKR) ALL 10 round mags should be "Range Use Only". See my thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21775

VooDoo6Actual
03-25-09, 22:45
check.

the1911fan
03-25-09, 23:18
(Most notably DocGKR) ALL 10 round mags should be "Range Use Only". See my thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21775

Ken Hackathorn and LAV say the same thing about the 10 rounders at least that's what I heard from them at the VT Low Level Light training I attended in May of 07' and 08'

and when I went through the class in 07' I found out first hand why...I had Wilson 10 rounders that were flawless prior to the class and the only malf's I had during the training happened with the 10 rounders..A clue and advice from the best trainers I have trained with.

rob_s
03-26-09, 05:12
I've used several of the CMC Powermags in matches and classes without issue. I don't have a firm round count through them but it's not very many rounds total through the 4 of them, definitely under 500.

While I've never had a problem I defer to the knowledge of the persons who know more than me and don't use them for carry, although the added size mmakes that kind of difficult anyway.

One thing to keep in mind with any 10 round 1911 magazines is that the 1911 is prone to over-insertion of mags. If the magazine you choose doesn't have some kind of stop on it to keep this from happening you can lock the gun up on a hard speed-load. the Wilson 10-rounders use a little welded-on tab on the front of the magazine body to accomplish this, and I have seen them shear off over time. Other magazines with similar designs that run further down the front of the magazine body can start to pull away and the front strap can actually get wedged between the stop and the mag body. The Powermags have a nice big plastic base that wraps all the way around the magazine body, which acts as a much better stop that is much less likely to break off or get stuck.