PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster "Custom Shop" Rifle --initial impressions

Dave_M
03-25-09, 21:17
Oh yeah, I have a hard time saying, "Bushmaster" and "Custom" in the same sentence too. The quality of this rifle is well above and beyond what you would ever find on a Bushhamster (of course, the price reflects that as well). It's guaranteed to be sub-MOA out to 300m and has a limited lifetime warranty.

Anywho, my buddy just picked one of these up yesterday. We took it out shooting today (just zeroed the optic, no real accuracy test yet). Here are some pics I took as we broke it down.

Overall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC3.jpg

This is the “Perimeter Security Rifle” in the custom line. It comes standard with
-1:7 16.5” barrel /w midlength gas system
-ARMS rail system
-UBR
-Magpul Miad & Trigger guard
-Surefire muzzle brake (which is waay too loud)
-Geissele SSA Trigger
-MI BUIS (the webpage shows different BUIS than what came with the rifle though)
-PRI gas buster

The barrel brand isn’t listed but he (my friend) called the shop that made it (Bushy farms out the work instead of doing it themselves—which can only be a good thing) and this particular rifle is sporting a Kreiger barrel. Evidently they may come with other barrels in the future though, which is why Bushy does not list the barrel make. The barrel is fluted beneath the handguards and is hand-lapped.

The rifle does come with some other extras too: Four mags (2 20 rounders and 2 30 rounders) all with anti-tilt followers (look like copies of Magpul gray followers), a soft case and also a hard case that the soft case fits into.

Anywho, some pics:

“Enhanced BCG”, no idea on make. Can anyone enlighten me on this one?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC6.jpg
Also shown is the PRI gas buster.

Close-up of the staking:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC7.jpg

Feed ramps:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC5.jpg

Firing pin has a black oxide coating to it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC1.jpg

The Ion bonding is inside and out (of course). Black is from shooting today
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC4.jpg

Some initial complaints:
First thing we did when he picked it up was strip it down. Bolt is not MPI marked. Upon taking apart the bolt, what did we find? A 4-coil extractor spring with a blue insert. That was immediately remedied /w a 5-coil spring, black insert, and black O-ring. For as much as this rifle costs, it should have been standard. Also, the 3-railed FSB is held in place by set screws
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BMC2.jpg

Here's a link to the Custom Shop page:
http://www.bushmaster.com/bcs/index.asp

More to follow.

nickdrak
03-25-09, 21:30
The counter staking does not instill confidence. I would stake it properly with a MOACKS.

Any exposed gasblock should be pinned in place.

Other than that, it looks pretty nice.

Saginaw79
03-25-09, 22:15
Sounds like the Mags are made by CProducts. They used to sport MagPul Followers but now make their own copy.

Where can I get those extractor upgrade parts from? I have NO problem on my Bushmaster or any other AR but everyone seems to suggest these kits

Dave_M
03-25-09, 22:28
Where can I get those extractor upgrade parts from? I have NO problem on my Bushmaster or any other AR but everyone seems to suggest these kits

Bravo:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm

rob_s
03-26-09, 05:22
I saw these and others from the "Custom shop" and was intrigued. What intrigued me was that someone would buy a Bushmaster with a lot of hot stuff (or not so much in the case of the ARMS products) instead of just buying a better quality base gun.

Any chance you can share with us how much he paid?

mmike87
03-26-09, 05:57
The feed ramps don't look lined up - should they be? I looked at all my rifles and they were a LOT closer than that. The ramp on the right looks like one piece is hanging over the other, making a lip.

Am I seeing that correctly, or is it a non-issue?

Mark15
03-26-09, 08:01
Krieger has not, nor do they now, make a mid length gas system.

There is a remote possibility that Bushmaster has produced a barrel from a blank, so look for a .218 bore and 4 groove rifling. Anything else isn't a genuine Krieger.

Mark15

Mung
03-26-09, 08:02
MSRP is $3,300. What did he pay? Guess I don't feel too bad dropping $3,000 on the Magpul/Noveske.

C4IGrant
03-26-09, 08:36
Oh wow! Ok let's look at this thing.

1. Gas key screws are either the wrong diameter or the gas key holes are too large.
2. Needs to be re-staked.
3. Feed ramps do not align.
4. Gas block needs to be pinned.

Sub MOA out to 300M's?? Really??? :rolleyes:

C4

STJ
03-26-09, 08:53
The gas key staking is a joke.

As for the feed ramps, I had a BCM upper that looked like that. There is some stack up of tolerances when it comes to feed ramps lining up...sometimes they just don't...BUT being a "custom shop" they should of paid more attention and swapped around a few barrels and uppers to get a better alignment.

They also should of had the rail extend over the gas block...you shouldn't be mounting anything to that gas block with it being fixed with set screws, so there is not a need for it to have rails and being exposed.

As for the extractor spring and insert. For reloading purposes I prefer the 4 coil spring and blue insert, it is less abusive on the brass...you can argue both ways on that one.

markm
03-26-09, 09:11
Oh
That was immediately remedied /w a 5-coil spring, black insert, and black O-ring. For as much as this rifle costs, it should have been standard.

A middy would probably run fine on the old spring/insert. I might have upgraded to the black one too, but the O ring shouldn't be needed at all. I don't even run those on my SBRs.

scottryan
03-26-09, 09:43
Lots of fluff and no substance.

A stock bushmaster is more milspec than this gun. I think I rather own a stock gun from them than this.

Dave L.
03-26-09, 10:01
What a waste of money.

John_Wayne777
03-26-09, 10:12
I don't have any firsthand experience with this rifle, but from what I'm seeing there's no way I would pay 3 grand for it.

variablebinary
03-26-09, 10:16
$3k...wow. That's no small amount of coin

Fringe
03-26-09, 10:21
$3k...wow. That's no small amount of coin

Yes, this would be silly for a Bushmaster of this quality.

Dave_M
03-26-09, 10:35
I saw these and others from the "Custom shop" and was intrigued. What intrigued me was that someone would buy a Bushmaster with a lot of hot stuff (or not so much in the case of the ARMS products) instead of just buying a better quality base gun.

I 100% agree with you. He talked to me about these two days prior and I said, "If I'm gonna shell out three grand, it had better not say Bushmaster anywhere near it". I tried to talk him into a Noveske or LT (and thought I succeeded) but he just showed up with the rifle in his hands a couple days later. He's an impulsive buyer, once he sees something that catches his fancy, you can't really talk him out of it. I posted the pics because I hadn't seen anything about them around.

$3,300 before tax. Yeah, too much.

There is a remote possibility that Bushmaster has produced a barrel from a blank, so look for a .218 bore and 4 groove rifling. Anything else isn't a genuine Krieger.

It wasn't built by Bushmaster. I think the name of the builder was Chillders (or something like Chillders) down in NC. I'll see if I can find more info

Lots of fluff and no substance.

Lots of fluff indeed. However, I have to disagree with 'no substance' comment. It does have some quality components in it and it's built around a match barrel.

Littlelebowski
03-26-09, 10:47
Nice writeup, Dave.

DRich
03-26-09, 11:32
$3,300 before tax. Yeah, too much.

Next time he's in the mood to buy a rifle, please let me know. I've have several AR's I'd be happy to sell him for $1000 less than that. :)

scottryan
03-26-09, 12:12
Lots of fluff indeed. However, I have to disagree with 'no substance' comment. It does have some quality components in it and it's built around a match barrel.

It has some quality accessories. Not components unless you consider the barrel. The other innards or moving parts of the gun are not up to snuff.

The railed gas block is a "bubba" or "wannabe" feature.

scottryan
03-26-09, 12:13
For the price they are asking you can have a Colt with the highest of high grade accessories.

Littlelebowski
03-26-09, 12:15
Well, we can criticize the guy's decision all day here or talk about the rifle.

randolph
03-26-09, 12:32
nice write up & pics.

Im happy the owner is pleased with his rifle...

I have the feeling half the members of this forum could have made a better rifle for half the price in their garage :p

SwatDawg15
03-26-09, 13:34
3300 before taxes, so close to 3500 out the door. Thats unreal.

Palmguy
03-26-09, 14:35

I really don't understand what the supposed purpose of this "feature" is...I don't know why it wouldn't be preferable to a.) use a low profile gas block and a handguard that extends over it or b.) use a FSB.

rob_s
03-26-09, 14:46
Well, we can criticize the guy's decision all day here or talk about the rifle.

It's one and the same.

The decision he made was to overpay for the rifle.
:p

scottryan
03-26-09, 16:55
It's one and the same.

The decision he made was to overpay for the rifle.
:p

Correct

Magsz
03-26-09, 17:24
GUARANTEED sub moa out to 300 yards?

Jeeze...Thats a hell of a guarantee right there.

Iraqgunz
03-26-09, 17:53
Robb,

I saw one at Scottsdale Gun Club back in October and the price tag was over 2100.00! I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself. My Noveske 16.1 Recon upper cost me less even after I added a Magpul UBR. I wouldn't buy one.

UPDATE: The rifle I saw was an Urban Interdiction Rifle (was also touted as sub MOA at 300 I believe) and it was 2595.00!

Parabellum9x19mm
03-26-09, 19:06
It has some quality accessories. Not components unless you consider the barrel. The other innards or moving parts of the gun are not up to snuff.

i agree with most everything you said in this thread, scott.

except, it does has a GA SSA trigger...that's certainly a quality component.

other than that...yeah, i don't really understand this rifle. it makes the MPL N4 limited edition rifles seem like a hell of a steal at only $3k tho.

and railed gas blocks? who needs them? either go low profile under the handguards or go with a standard FSB.

nickdrak
03-26-09, 21:39
While the ARMS rail would not have been my first choice when spec'ing together a premium grade rifle, or my second choice, or third, or...

It is still a good rail system. Most of the parts & accessories used on this offering from BM seem to be very good quality. But the railed gasblock has got to go! I would advise him to replace it with a LaRue gasblock, and send it off to ADCO to drill & pin it in place.

scottryan
03-26-09, 22:13
except, it does has a GA SSA trigger...that's certainly a quality component.

While I would agree the GA trigger is quality, the Bushmaster in questions is fighting carbine, not a SPR/DMR/Precision rifle and therefore it should have a standard GI trigger.

Dave_M
03-26-09, 23:26
So can anyone ID that bolt carrier? I can take a better pic if need be. It has weird angle cuts on it and I could not find the make listed anywhere.

Dave_M
03-26-09, 23:30
While I would agree the GA trigger is quality, the Bushmaster in questions is fighting carbine, not a SPR/DMR/Precision rifle and therefore it should have a standard GI trigger.

A GI trigger and a match barrel paired together doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Of course, neither do many things with this rifle. IMHO they should have
1) Made it an 18" barrel
2) Put a low-pro gas block on there
3) Put a full length rail system on it
4) Stuck about anything else but a brake on it

Does anyone else think that Surefire makes their brakes so loud so their suppressors sound more quiet? :p

exkc135driver
03-27-09, 00:32
This is the “Perimeter Security Rifle” in the [Bushmaster] custom line.

Here's a link to the Custom Shop page:
http://www.bushmaster.com/bcs/index.asp

The BM Custom Shop page says in pertinent part:

“Bushmaster Firearms International, the largest manufacturer of AR-15 style rifles in the U.S., formed a joint venture with Iron Brigade Armory (IBA) in Jacksonville, NC whose products are legendary for extreme accuracy and reliability.
As a result of the joint venture, Norman Chandler Jr.,VP of IBA was dually [don't they mean "duly"?] promoted to CEO - Bushmaster Custom Shop and in turn recruited a team that draws on the vast experiences of former personnel of the Law Enforcement and Military communities. All weapons are designed and built, with the idea in mind, of withstanding the rigors of field hunting or combat on any continent in the world. Coupled with the past 29 years experience from Iron Brigade Armory, Bushmaster Custom can produce the most accurate, reliable, and highest quality weapons available, anywhere in the world marketplace today.”

I’m neither a gunsmith nor an ex-sniper, so I’m in no position to criticize IBA’s work. However, I make 3 observations:

> Based on the various advertisements I have seen and articles I have read over the years, IBA has always charged top – I mean top – dollar for its rifles.

> Again, I’m no gunsmith, but based on the posts in this thread I don’t think this rifle is worth anywhere close to $3,295.00, especially considering what other choices (e.g., Noveske) there are.

> If this rifle is representative of the quality of IBA's work, then their advertising is waaaay over-hyped.

I wonder how much of the $3,295.00 pays for the IBA/Chandler name.

flyboy1788
03-27-09, 01:49
your friend must have been high when he bought this. Its a nice rifle, but DAMN, that is a shit-ton of money for something that still lacks many desireable features. He could have gotten a noveske, an LMT MRP and put an 18inch barrel on it, or a larue upper and a lower of his liking, and gotten a better rifle for a lot less cash. But whatever floats your boat i guess.

scottryan
03-27-09, 08:52
A GI trigger and a match barrel paired together doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Of course, neither do many things with this rifle. IMHO they should have

That is my whole point. This gun has alot of components that don't go together that add to the "wannabe" factor to dazzle amateurs.

Every amateur wants a "match" trigger when they don't know any better. They don't know what is good for them. We all know this.

30 cal slut
03-27-09, 09:00
got a chance to handle these a while back.

i'd be very interested to see a writeup of the bushmaster custom shop remington 700. it's not featured on the bcs website, but they are out there.

Dave_M
03-27-09, 21:26
I'll ask again, can anyone ID the make of the bolt carrier?

5.56Beagle
03-27-09, 22:49
I'll ask again, can anyone ID the make of the bolt carrier?

Looks like a Young Manufacturing National Match BCG with maybe an ion bond finish? Just a guess.

Dave_M
03-27-09, 23:06
Looks like a Young Manufacturing National Match BCG with maybe an ion bond finish? Just a guess.

Don't know. It's here at the house now (guy is going through a divorce--wonder why ;) ) so I'll take some more pics of it for ya'll to look at

Dave_M
03-28-09, 00:01
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/BCG1.jpg