PDA

View Full Version : GI Bill questions

Littlelebowski
03-26-09, 12:11
Has anyone here used their GI Bill for technical (say computer type) training? I just want to take a few classes that are work related, don't need a 4 year degree.

Gutshot John
03-26-09, 13:14
Has anyone here used their GI Bill for technical (say computer type) training? I just want to take a few classes that are work related, don't need a 4 year degree.

I asked to do something similar but they said no, unless this has changed in the last 8-10 years.

It has to be part of an accredited program, degree, certificate etc.

You couldn't just use it for a few select classes, but you probably could for a short, year-long "business administration" certificate programs at a local Community College or Business School.

-Wes-
03-26-09, 16:30
I've only used it towards school, however I remember a dive shop back home in Hawaii just outside of Schofield Barracks that had a sign saying, "Use the GI Bill to get certified"

Again, not sure what was up with that.

seb5
03-26-09, 18:53
I don't know your particular situation but almost the entire bill has been/still is being reinvented. There will be a huge increase in benefits. Most any school, academy, tech school, etc.will now be covered. I have friends getting paid to go to the police academy, which is a paid by the department trip already. I plan on donating my benefits to my kids, who are both college students. There are different benefits available for part time vs. full time vs. vocational school. I believe the new bill is supposed to take effect in the fall. With everything up in the air I'm not sure who the "expert" would be. VA, recruiters, VFW or foreign legion, I just don't know. But a call to a reserve center might get answers. I have friends in OK. that have added benefits through their state that I don't have in AR. These are for reservists and active duty so it's not a NG thing.

JSantoro
03-26-09, 18:53
Lots of vo-tech schools and the like are accredited. GI Bill is usable for crafts apprenticeships and all sorts of things you wouldn't think possible. Best bet is to hit whatever AMVETS may be near you. They have reps that bird-dog things like that, as do the DAV.

Get face-to-face with them, though. Like any other bureaucracy, you're easier to ignore if you're communicating from a distance.

http://www.amvets.org/

pgpd3147
03-26-09, 19:25
I used my GI bill during the academy. I guess the only reason was becuase it was an accredited school.

11Bravo
03-26-09, 22:18
I used it for MCSE classes at a community college 10-11 years ago.
Wasn't fulltime rate.
Was for a certificate program.