PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill AR

Sierra 1
03-26-09, 15:21
Anyone have any experience with YH AR's? A friend just bought one. I have never seen one before.

lostwake
03-26-09, 23:38
i have seen them at the gun shows. how should i rate them?
somewhat better then dpms and dont come close to Daniel defense.
Can i get a second opionion.

Shihan
03-27-09, 00:19
I would rather buy something else and after messing with an out of spec rail tonight and guys it came with the Spikes .22 upper(I would never buy one) I wont buy any of their stuff.

Patrick Henry
03-27-09, 07:57
Never got my hands on one of their full rifles but I've handled one of their complete uppers. The finish was nice and had a good fluted barrel. The bc was not properly staked. The FF rail seemed solid though rail edges were sharp, but that was negated by installation of ladders. The flip-up BUISs weren't as bad as I expected. Personally would rather pay a few $ more to get a better upper if available. It was definitely better than a DPMS, like lostwake said previously.

C4IGrant
03-27-09, 08:25
The gun does not folllow the TDP in any way. If you are cool with that, then it is most likely a fine AR.

C4

Shihan
03-27-09, 13:45
The gun does not folllow the TDP in any way. If you are cool with that, then it is most likely a fine AR.

C4

Thats funny:D

glockshooter
03-27-09, 18:26
I thought we have gotten over the TDP nonsense. The TDP is nothing more than a set of specs for the militarys M4. If you are buying a gun that is not in an M4 configuration then it is not going to follow the TDP right. Some people might need the TDP to justify their choises, but not every quality rifle follows the TDP. Does that mean that Sabre, LMT, or S&W rifles are not quality. The TDP gives Colt owner a means to justify there choice. Most of you guys quoting "TDP" dont even use your rifle in a way to even test it well.

Oh and I would also like to remind all the Colt lovers that .gov contacts generally go to the lowest bidders.

I am not saying Colt arent great guns, I am just saying they are not the only great gun.

C4IGrant
03-27-09, 19:35
I thought we have gotten over the TDP nonsense. The TDP is nothing more than a set of specs for the militarys M4. If you are buying a gun that is not in an M4 configuration then it is not going to follow the TDP right. Some people might need the TDP to justify their choises, but not every quality rifle follows the TDP.

So much anger and hostility. You must own an AR that ranks low on the "chart!" :-)

The TDP is a set of specs that call out how a fighting gun is to be built. Does every item in it matter to a varmint or a benchrest gun? No. Do some things matter? Sure do. Quality is quality. Do I still want a varmint gun w/ a quality BCG? Yep. How about a properly staked gas key? Is that important? Sure is.

I am willing to bet that the YHM AR is built more towards the fighting end that the benchrest side so yes, the TDP still applies (sorry).

Does that mean that Sabre, LMT, or S&W rifles are not quality. The TDP gives Colt owner a means to justify there choice. Most of you guys quoting "TDP" dont even use your rifle in a way to even test it well.

Uhm, LMT follows the TDP almost to the letter. Where it does not follow it is of no real importance. People buy Colt AR's because they build a quality weapon. Nothing more.

I think you might not realize which forum you are on. This forum promotes training & the majority of the members actively attend training and actually shoot their AR's.

Oh and I would also like to remind all the Colt lovers that .gov contacts generally go to the lowest bidders.

As someone that did .gov contracts, the Govt does not have to go with the lowest bidder (fyi). They pay a good chunk change for M4's.

I am not saying Colt arent great guns, I am just saying they are not the only great gun.

There are a bunch of quality guns out there. There is more junk than good out there though.

C4

Littlelebowski
03-27-09, 19:51
What about their rails and sights?

thopkins22
03-27-09, 20:43

I have one of the rails on my Spike's .22lr upper. It seems to be functional, although it's diameter is huge(of course I'm comparing it to DD and Larue rails.) Not a particularly great design, and not particularly well made. But it's solid, and given the intended use of the upper, I doubt that I'll have problems with it in the future.

If I intended to train hard/fight with said upper, I wouldn't put one of these on it.

bkb0000
03-27-09, 22:37
I thought we have gotten over the TDP nonsense. The TDP is nothing more than a set of specs for the militarys M4. If you are buying a gun that is not in an M4 configuration then it is not going to follow the TDP right. Some people might need the TDP to justify their choises, but not every quality rifle follows the TDP. Does that mean that Sabre, LMT, or S&W rifles are not quality. The TDP gives Colt owner a means to justify there choice. Most of you guys quoting "TDP" dont even use your rifle in a way to even test it well.

i don't know what the average yearly round count is around here for regular M4C users, but i guarantee it's a hell of a lot higher than any other internet forum. and i don't know where you get the idea that "we" have abandoned TDP "nonsense"- do you actually read posts around here? the TDP is essentially the basic criteria we use to judge the worth of a weapon.

Shihan
03-28-09, 01:45

Read above what I wrote about the one on my new Spikes .22 upper.

Littlelebowski
03-28-09, 09:14
I have one of their rails on my 5.45. Robb mounted it and he reported no problems. Shoots well, doesn't seem too heavy (however, I am NOT picky about weight for the most part) and accessories mount on it just fine. Just one user's report.

MAS GunWorks
03-28-09, 14:52
i have seen them at the gun shows. how should i rate them?
somewhat better then dpms and dont come close to Daniel defense.
Can i get a second opionion.

Yankee Hill makes a very good product. I sell a ton of them. I have built several of my own and haven't had any problems with any of them. I like their finish more then most other manufacturers.

Daniel Defense also makes a good rifle but at the price they ask for them they better be.

87GN
03-28-09, 15:25
I ordered a YHM barrel. I asked specifically what the profile was. When I received it, I found that it was a different profile, about .730 all along the barrel except for the gas block shelf. I had asked and been told that it was a government profile, specifically, .625 under the handguards.

When I called to complain they told me that they did not have anything to do with the production of the barrel and did not know what profile it was, that there was only one profile, take it or leave it.

I left it...Considering how they tout themselves as a major machine shop you would think that they would have calipers or a micrometer around there somewhere, or at least have employees that could visually estimate a barrel to within 1/10". I could tell as soon as I looked at it that it was somewhere between .7 and .75 and I do not work in a machine shop.

glockshooter
03-28-09, 20:46
Grant,

I own an LMT SBR and a Sabre that is my 3gun rifle. I believe that these are both pretty high on the list. The point I was making is that a gun does not have to follow the TDP to be quality. The TDP is nothing more than the .gov specs for a M4. Is a Larue Rifle quality, Sabre, Noveske. They all have some TDP specs but not all, does that make Colt better. If my guns have all the right things done to them, and all the right parts inside then the I dont believe so, but what do I know. I can say that I am sure that I shoot as much it not more than most on this forum, I also carry one to work every day.

Both of my rifles have more than $3500 with optics, rails mounts, etc in them, and they get used regularly. I am no where near the most experienced person here, nor do I claim to be. I do however have enough rounds down range to know what works and what doesnt.

87GN
03-28-09, 20:49
Grant,

I own an LMT SBR and a Sabre that is my 3gun rifle. I believe that these are both pretty high on the list. The point I was making is that a gun does not have to follow the TDP to be quality. The TDP is nothing more than the .gov specs for a M4. Is a Larue Rifle quality, Sabre, Noveske. They all have some TDP specs but not all, does that make Colt better. If my guns have all the right things done to them, and all the right parts inside then the I dont believe so, but what do I know. I can say that I am sure that I shoot as much it not more than most on this forum, I also carry one to work every day.

Both of my rifles have more than $3500 with optics, rails mounts, etc in them, and they get used regularly. I am no where near the most experienced person here, nor do I claim to be. I do however have enough rounds down range to know what works and what doesnt.

...the ways in which your rifles, and the YHM rifles, differ from the TDP are separate, distinct, and in the case of the YHM, not good.

C4IGrant
03-28-09, 21:25
Grant,

The TDP represents the baseline for a fighting weapon. I view the Govt spec as ENTRY level at best. Companies should try to exceed this most basic of specs.

The problem is that very few can even meet this standard.

The YHM AR comes no where near the TDP.

C4

Littlelebowski
03-28-09, 23:03
The rear BUIS I have that is made by YHM works fine as well.

motoman
03-29-09, 09:04
owning a using a weapon for whatever purpose, you expect it to have the best parts that have been properly tested imo.

CarlosDJackal
03-29-09, 13:48

TDP = Baseline. You can either be above or below that. It's a personaly choice and should be made based on one's need and how much one's life is worth.

The "lowest bidder standard" must be working because I just had to qualify using a well-wron M-16A2 that was probably made over a decade ago and was still able to hit all of the 300-meter on a half-size "Ivan" sillouhette pop-up target. JM2CW.