PDA

View Full Version : My SBR briefcase

el guapo
03-26-09, 15:33
I've been searching for a case for my SBR. I wanted something as small as possible, lockable, hardsided, and discreet. I found this Pelican 1495 laptop case online. The dimensions seemed tight but workable. I assumed most common folks would guess it was a laptop case. It also has an integral lock to keep out somebody curious and the option to use a real lock if need be. I used a foam cutter to make cutouts to hold everything in place since the case was so tight. I use a patagonia shoulder bag to hold the rest of my range stuff. Here's a pic.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/dannylanee/Danny/DSC00829.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/dannylanee/Danny/DSC00830.jpg

Buckaroo
03-26-09, 15:37
Sweet! What length barrel is that?

Buckaroo

el guapo
03-26-09, 15:41
It's a 10.5" LMT. I wasn't originally planning on putting the G-19 in there, but the rifle only really fit one way and the corner open was big enough so......

ZDL
03-26-09, 15:47
Where da magazines be?

el guapo
03-26-09, 16:06
They are in the messenger bag with ear pro, dummy rounds, lube, etc.

ballistic
03-26-09, 16:07
Nice.

AMMOTECH
03-26-09, 16:07
Where da magazines be?

One mag would fit where the Glock is.

Looks good.

SeriousStudent
03-26-09, 20:07
That is pretty darn neat!

If I fiddled with that a bit, I bet I could get a 20-round PMag on the right side, and put a suppressor where you have the sidearm.

Thanks for the post, that gives me a neat idea! :)

Saginaw79
03-26-09, 20:19
Thats cool! :D

rob_s
03-26-09, 20:53
That is pretty darn neat!

If I fiddled with that a bit, I bet I could get a 20-round PMag on the right side, and put a suppressor where you have the sidearm.

Thanks for the post, that gives me a neat idea! :)

I was thinking the same thing!

yakrat101
03-27-09, 02:02
I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up now.

el guapo
03-27-09, 12:11
There is room for mags even with the pistol in there. Two fit ok between the SOPMOD and the T-1. Another fits at the bottom of the upper reciever. From me it was just easier to have them in a seperate bag. I was never planning on keeping the pick and pluck so this was just a quick see how it fit. Not sure if I will keep the space for the glock. It is on my hip 90% of the time anyway.

Version two will be rifle with vfg attached, space for my light and sling and a few PMAGS. I'm taking class #2 in a few months. After class I will do another based on whatever my current set up is.

There is a lot of potential in these cases for an SBR. If you took the time you could fit all of paragraph two and probably a suppressor.

Buckaroo
03-27-09, 12:47
$124.94 with free shipping!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-1495-notebook-laptop-computer-watertight-case.html

Buckaroo

el guapo
03-27-09, 14:38
That's where mine came from. It shipped the same day I ordered it. Just call to make sure it is in stock before you order.

Killjoy
03-27-09, 20:57
Absolutely brilliant! I just bought a shorty upper myself and was thinking about how I was going to carry it....it looks simply pathetic in my full sized case. Thanks for the idea!

ZDL
03-27-09, 21:12
I keep looking at this thing. Definitely, way cool.

Ghostface03
03-27-09, 21:27
That is kinda cool man. I really like the layout.:cool:

tweakmeister
03-27-09, 22:41
With the live.com rebate, these are about $105 shipped out the door.

-- Go to www.live.com and search for "Pelican case ebay"
-- Click the cash back icon up top (should be good for like 14% off)
-- Complete w/ Paypal (read all the rules and setup an account, etc.).

I bought one from the seller OpticsPlanet.

Morg308
03-28-09, 01:53
Did you cut the foam yourself and if so, how about a quick tutorial or link? I understand the key is multiple layers of foam rather than one...I would really like to know more about how to do this properly, since even being a guy who works with his hands (electrician) my two experiments in doing this did not turn out the way I expected. Is there a company who specializes in this? I mean, you trace the weapon and they cut it? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but it looks great. When I get the 607 clone done I'd like to store it in something like that.

el guapo
03-29-09, 23:26
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695

I built my table differently but used the same transformer and wiring diagram as mfingar. I would practice a little on some extra foam. I didnt get the hang of it till the end.

moonshot
03-31-09, 14:41
Nice setup, but be careful if you are using it for storage and not just transportation. The foam is open cell, and can absorb moisture, even from simply opening the case. I know - I've used Pelican's for photographic equipment for years, and while they make outstanding transport containers, I have been advised not to keep lenses and camera bodies in them for extended periods of time. Even a packet of silica won't totally protect if the foam contains any moisture.

The open cell foam is superior for shock absorbing, and is why it's good for transportation. However, if you want to use this for storage, replace the open cell foam for closed cell foam. Closed cell foam won't cushion the equipment as well, but won't absorb moisture.