PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Italy.......

Iraqgunz
03-26-09, 17:35
Just wanted to share some of my observations that I have made while on R/R here in (Rome) Italy as it relates to guns and stuff. The local police all seem to be carrying Beretta 92 pistols, their belts are very sparse and I have yet to see extra mags.

The Carabinieri is a paramilitary organization and they can be seen driving around town or parked in front of national monuments as well as the U.S Consulate. The ones that I have seen have been carrying Beretta 9mm's as well, and some have them even had Beretta Mod. 12S submachine guns. The ones that I have seen wearing body armor all had it over their uniforms.

Today while I was at the Vatican I observed some members of the Gendarme Corps who are responsible for public safety and police duties within the Vatican (they are also seperate of the Swiss Guard) and they were carrying Glock pistols.

One thing that surpised me were the private security companies here in Rome. They seem to be all over and a great deal of them have been armed. This was especially interesting as the time I spent in Germany and other parts of Europe there were very few private companies that were allowed to carry weapons.

Another surpise was the gun store that I discovered on Via Barberini. I went inisde and saw various semi-auto rifles (an AK variant) as well as some SIG rifles, etc...Glock pistols most notably in 9x21 and .40 caliber. It is my understanding private citizens cannot purchase pistols in common military calibers. I am possibly going back there in a day or two so I can get more insight into their requirements and eligibility. The prices were very high on their weapons (Glock costs 735.00 Euros) and Surefire lights and knives from the U.S were very spendy. All and all a neat little shop and they had ALOT of ammo on the shelves (all behind the counter). ;)

ZDL
03-26-09, 17:38
Just wanted to share some of my observations that I have made while on R/R here in (Rome) Italy as it relates to guns and stuff. The local police all seem to be carrying Beretta 92 pistols, their belts are very sparse and I have yet to see extra mags.

The Carabinieri is a paramilitary organization and they can be seen driving around town or parked in front of national monuments as well as the U.S Consulate. The ones that I have seen have been carrying Beretta 9mm's as well, and some have them even had Beretta Mod. 12S submachine guns. The ones that I have seen wearing body armor all had it over their uniforms.

Today while I was at the Vatican I observed some members of the Gendarme Corps who are responsible for public safety and police duties within the Vatican (they are also seperate of the Swiss Guard) and they were carrying Glock pistols.

One thing that surpised me were the private security companies here in Rome. They seem to be all over and a great deal of them have been armed. This was especially interesting as the time I spent in Germany and other parts of Europe there were very few private companies that were allowed to carry weapons.

Another surpise was the gun store that I discovered on Via Barberini. I went inisde and saw various semi-auto rifles (an AK variant) as well as some SIG rifles, etc...Glock pistols most notably in 9x21 and .40 caliber. It is my understanding private citizens cannot purchase pistols in common military calibers. I am possibly going back there in a day or two so I can get more insight into their requirements and eligibility. The prices were very high on their weapons (Glock costs 735.00 Euros) and Surefire lights and knives from the U.S were very spendy. All and all a neat little shop and they had ALOT of ammo on the shelves (all behind the counter). ;)

Whats the swiss guard packing? Do they carry or are they ornamental?

Iraqgunz
03-26-09, 18:11
ZDL,

The true Swiss Guard only carry their ceremonial pikes. I have been told that they have weapons in an armory that can be drawn as needed. That being said, there was plenty of security (Vatican Gendarme) as well as Rome municipal police right outside the area. In addition I saw another police type agency Guardia di Finanzia. They are dressed pretty sharp and also carry Beretta pistols. I have seen them all over Rome and I understand that they are repsonsible for the protection of assets that are fiscal and economic in nature.

ZDL
03-26-09, 18:17
ZDL,

The true Swiss Guard only carry their ceremonial pikes. I have been told that they have weapons in an armory that can be drawn as needed. That being said, there was plenty of security (Vatican Gendarme) as well as Rome municipal police right outside the area. In addition I saw another police type agency Guardia di Finanzia. They are dressed pretty sharp and also carry Beretta pistols. I have seen them all over Rome and I understand that they are repsonsible for the protection of assets that are fiscal and economic in nature.

Very cool. Pictures brother! Pictures!

Iraqgunz
03-26-09, 18:45
Here's a pic of the Swiss Guard. I will have to get the other pics from my wifes camera.

Safetyhit
03-26-09, 20:30
Here's a pic of the Swiss Guard. I will have to get the other pics from my wifes camera.

As many as you can find, please. The are fewer more fascinating places on earth than Rome.

Gutshot John
03-26-09, 20:54
Bit of history on the Swiss Guard. They are mercenaries that date from the early renaissance when Italy was divided into various city states, the most notable of which was the Florentine Republic.

The peninsula was flooded with soldiers of fortune during various wars especially with France, but they were considered the only reliable mercenaries as they NEVER broke a contract and often fought to the death to fulfill one. Tradition has it that they were the only mercenaries worthy of guarding the Holy See and have guarded the Vatican ever since the early 16th century when they fought to the death in a lost cause against Spain.

They have a very proud history and their training/discipline are akin to the Foreign Legion. The pike is a ceremonial arm, but they also have a plain clothes/security forces that you'd never notice. They are REAL soldiers and while not recently combat tested, have an extremely rigorous training regimen. Legend says that the uniform, made of Medici colors, was designed by Michelangelo.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-26-09, 21:05
I hope that you are not boring your wife with all of this... ;)

Perhaps the spare mags are in their pockets? Maybe belt mounted mags are not fashion concious?

An American buddy that lives in Italy shoots trap and he had to go thru a lot of hoops to get a shotgun, I can't remember if he had dual citizenship yet when he did it. I love travelling over there with him. Everytime my buddies and I get in a cab wammering in American, he turns to the cab driver and starts out in a Milanesse accent and its like you hit the cab driver with a stun-gun.

Enjoy your time over there! In the Vatican museum, the tours are the way to go. You go to the front of the line, and they point out all the art details that only a Art Major would know.

BVickery
03-26-09, 21:50
ZDL,

I could have sworn the Swiss Guard actually now pack concealed Sigs to represent the modern times we live in (May 13 1981 assassination attempt and then Sept. 11 2001).

baffle Stack
03-27-09, 00:15
I would hope so. They are guardians of one of the most historically significant places on earth. A pike simply wouldn't do much. I do appreciate the symbolism:cool: though. Those outfits are wild.

chadbag
03-27-09, 01:01
My sister studied Latin 2 summers at the Vatican under one of the Pope's Latin secretaries. I went and visited a few days and she said that the Swiss Guard on ceremonial duty are what you see. They also pull normal plainclothes duty, which is what you don't see, and my sister and her husband showed me where they have their offices or something (details escape me -- this was like 8 or 9 years ago).