PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 with TLR-1 Writeup

citizensoldier16
03-26-09, 17:39
I recently acquired a brand new TLR-1 from a local shop for $100. Even though I've been an avid competition shooter for years now in IDPA, I've never used a weapon mounted illumination system. Prior to today, my illumination came from a Surefire held in the off-hand. I took it to the range today for it's first trial run on my Glock.

Mounting the TLR-1 was super easy. It came set up for a Glock's rails, even though it includes different mounts for other weapon systems. It slid right on and locked up tight with a finger tightening of the screw. For good measure, I did tighten it down 1/2 a turn with a penny.

Illumination is great. I had the range owner darken the range - shutting down all but one overhead light behind the shooter's boxes creating a true low-light situation. Illumination at 7 yards was superb, with a pure white center that completely illuminated the target, and good splash off the target for peripheral vision. At 50 feet the illumination was still great and lit up an area about 15 feet wide with splash out around 25 feet each side of the target.

Even at 4.18 ounces, you definitely notice the weight on the end of the gun, but add a loaded magazine (17 rounds) and its hardly noticeable at all. In fact, in shooting rapid fire drills, I noticed that the extra weight actually helped to balance the pistol out and follow-up shots came a little more quickly. Groupings listed below were shot at 7 yards using standard Winchester range ammo. Pistol is stock, but has approx. 9k rounds through the pipe.

Slow-fire 10 rounds:
1) 1.28 inches
2) 1.21 inches
3) 1.38 inches

Quick-fire 10 rounds (around 1 round per second):
1) 2.09 inches
2) 2.21 inches
3) 2.56 inches

After around 300 rounds there was no visible powder residue on the lens of the TLR-1, however there were very small droplets of oil on the top of the light where it extends beyond the barrel. Nothing I couldn't wipe off with my finger.

Overall, I'm very happy with the TLR-1. At $100, I couldn't pass it up. It's surely taken the place of my trusty old Surefire in competitions and it resides on the G17 as my backup HD gun.

Gentoo
03-27-09, 01:15
I recently got a TLR-1 and mounted in on my G19.

The light output is unreal. I can clearly light up my neighbors yard, well over 150 feet. The spillover is very good, and can light up a room well without losing a good focused center.

For $80, it is an amazing deal. If I didn't personally know and trust other Streamlight products I would have had a hard time believing this light.

I have never used a Surefire weaponlight, so I don't have an activation preference. The TLR1 activates just fine for me.

It is not a quick release design. I can see how some people might not like that. I'm just going to leave it attached though. So not that big of an issue to me.