PDA

View Full Version : Laid Off and Soon To Be Screwed

Ghostface03
03-27-09, 10:18
Well life has a funny way of knocking you down as soon as you start to feel good about yourself. I get a call from the so called president of the company first thing this morning to let me know I have to be laid off. Not enough money in the company to keep me on. "I hate to have to make this call". he says. Well I hate being the one that receives this call. Especially since I was told that there is funding for at least two years regardless of whether or not we get any new contracts. I had been told a few months ago to stick around and give the company a shot and I would be rewarded. On top of that my so called friend who is the vice president and the one I report to directly has yet to call me and explain things more. Jobs in my field are almost non existent in WV. I don't know what to do now. I have had all the creativity sucked out of me from working on lame projects for ignorant clients so my work portfolio isn't very impressive at all. My skills have deteriorated due to lack of use. I started off doing 3D Modeling to get into animation but could not find employment. I was advised to get into Industrial design, doing concepts for Bom Bots and other robotic projects instead of a career in art and entertainment. Since then I have been doing lame websites, print ads and logos for the past four years. Don't even remember the basics of things that use to seem natural to me.

Just got engaged about a month ago. Have a house, student loans, a sporbike and plenty of bills to pay. No kids yet thank the Lord. Might be forced to make a real career change or move out of WV. Life reeks!
Sorry for the rant, nobody to really listen to me around here. Hope some of it made sense, just too pissed to think clearly.
Thanks for reading.

fruitjacket
03-27-09, 10:25
Well life has a funny way of knocking you down as soon as you start to feel good about yourself. I get a call from the so called president of the company first thing this morning to let me know I have to be laid off. Not enough money in the company to keep me on. "I hate to have to make this call". he says. Well I hate being the one that receives this call. Especially since I was told that there is funding for at least two years regardless of whether or not we get any new contracts. I had been told a few months ago to stick around and give the company a shot and I would be rewarded. On top of that my so called friend who is the vice president and the one I report to directly has yet to call me and explain things more. Jobs in my field are almost non existent in WV. I don't know what to do now. I have had all the creativity sucked out of me from working on lame projects for ignorant clients so my work portfolio isn't very impressive at all. My skills have deteriorated due to lack of use. I started off doing 3D Modeling to get into animation but could not find employment. I was advised to get into Industrial design, doing concepts for Bom Bots and other robotic projects instead of a career in art and entertainment. Since then I have been doing lame websites, print ads and logos for the past four years. Don't even remember the basics of things that use to seem natural to me.

Just got engaged about a month ago. Have a house, student loans, a sporbike and plenty of bills to pay. No kids yet thank the Lord. Might be forced to make a real career change or move out of WV. Life reeks!
Sorry for the rant, nobody to really listen to me around here. Hope some of it made sense, just too pissed to think clearly.
Thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear about your job bro.

Saginaw79
03-27-09, 10:41
That really suck, seems like its always when you're doin' good you get knocked down, been my experience as well

Too bad you didnt get that 2 year bit in a contract, though you might have a case if you decide to pursue it

HwyKnight
03-27-09, 10:43
Sorry to see bad things happen to good people. Could your skills transfer in any way to the video game industry? I have heard that this is one of the better industries to be in at this time.

Just my 2c.

TUNNEL RAT 33
03-27-09, 10:46
sorry to hear about your misfortune . keep your head up , things will work out for you !

Ghostface03
03-27-09, 11:34
Sorry to hear about your job bro.
Thanks Man

That really suck, seems like its always when you're doin' good you get knocked down, been my experience as well

Too bad you didnt get that 2 year bit in a contract, though you might have a case if you decide to pursue it
Yeah, I have learned to take everything I hear with a grain of salt. Question everything I hear. Even have some ink to remind me.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3389484331_8ab60c7e39_o.jpg

Sorry to see bad things happen to good people. Could your skills transfer in any way to the video game industry? I have heard that this is one of the better industries to be in at this time.

Just my 2c.
I have done a little work for a MMORTS Game that the company invested a lot of $ in. It flopped hard, lost the company a lot of money hence my current position. Who knows, I might be able to get my skills back up.

sorry to hear about your misfortune . keep your head up , things will work out for you !
Will do bro, thanks.

ZDL
03-27-09, 12:38
Sorry to hear all of that. Cover the debt with what you have to take some pressure off of you in the mean time. Go back to living like a college student will help as well. I've had that "stick around and wait it out" bs from an employer before as well and it didn't work out. New goals, new plan. You'll get it figured out. ;)

RogerinTPA
03-27-09, 18:03
Sorry about your misfortune Ghostface03. Too bad a persons word and "Integrity" has gone down the shitter with most employers and people. Start net working online, friends, church, fellow employees, etc... hopefully you'll find something in while. Good luck to you.

Ghostface03
03-27-09, 18:14
Sorry to hear all of that. Cover the debt with what you have to take some pressure off of you in the mean time. Go back to living like a college student will help as well. I've had that "stick around and wait it out" bs from an employer before as well and it didn't work out. New goals, new plan. You'll get it figured out. ;)

Sorry about your misfortune Ghostface03. Too bad a persons word and "Integrity" has gone down the shitter with most employers and people. Start net working online, friends, church, fellow employees, etc... hopefully you'll find something in while. Good luck to you.
Thanks guys.

HES
03-27-09, 19:58
Im sorry to hear of your distress and wish I could do more than offer my sympathies and the best of luck.

scratchy
03-27-09, 20:23
Sorry to hear it. It's getting pretty widespread. I think it will happen to me again in the not so distant future. Best thing you can do is invest in what is in your head. That's your future. No company will show you loyalty, just develop your brain into the best tool you can. It will pull your bacon from the fire.

Smuckatelli
03-27-09, 22:29
I started off doing 3D Modeling to get into animation but could not find employment.

I was advised to get into Industrial design, doing concepts for Bom Bots and other robotic projects instead of a career in art and entertainment.

Since then I have been doing lame websites, print ads and logos for the past four years. Don't even remember the basics of things that use to seem natural to me.

Were you in the miltary?

NoBody
03-27-09, 23:09
Deleted.

jhs1969
03-28-09, 14:10
Sorry to hear this,

I'm in the same boat too. I got laid off the first of Jan, recalled the last week of Feb and got laid off again this past Thrusday. This time it will probably be permant, they don't forcast enough business through June to recall anyone. Over 120 of us are laid off. It is a bit frustrating, after the Jan lay off I had got my unemployment started and was picking up the occasional odd job. It was just enough to keep the bills paid. I don't have a lot of debt but we do have a house payment, we are planning to eventually loose the house although we will do everything we can to keep it. We sort of take the boyscout approach, 'be prepaired'.

I've worked all my adult life in the automotive industry. Now will have to find another field to try to get into. Just know your'e not alone, millions are dealing with similar situations. Keep your head up and do the best you can, you will survive.

Ghostface03
03-28-09, 15:50
Were you in the miltary?

No, marines wouldn't take me cause of my tattoos.