PDA

View Full Version : Glocks and Wolf?

blackscot
03-27-09, 12:07
This may be a no-brainer but for me is uncharted territory, so I'm asking.

I've used lots of Wolf in AK's and even AR's, but never in any handguns. I have also been unable though, to find any of the usual WWB for my G19 (what with the mindless panic-driven hording frenzy we are currently engaged in.....:rolleyes: ) for everyday plinking practice and IDPA matches.

Sooo, I just ordered 1K rounds of the ruskie stuff from one of the few sites I found any 9 mm on.

I figure -- it is a Glock -- so should be no problem. Am I right?

shooter521
03-27-09, 12:23
It shouldn't be an issue, but if you end up shooting a lot of the steel-case stuff, just keep an eye on your extractor.

I've shot some Wolf and Silver Bear through my Glocks, and a ton of the S&B "Range Safe" (copper-washed steel case) without any problems whatsoever.

hp35
03-27-09, 12:26
I had (2) "issues" with wolf and a g19. Both times out of spec cases that locked the firearm up. Pistol would not go all the way into battery. 1st one I could clear with effort but the 2nd time the pistol had to go visit a vise with a mallet and a block.

I will never use it again in my pistol and my friend will not allow it in his 9mm AR.

natebick
03-27-09, 16:00
I've put a couple thousand rounds of the .40 cal through my G23 with only two stopages. Both times the case stuck in the chamber and I had to push down on the back of the extractor to free up the slide. Both times this was with the chamber being somewhat dirty. Ive also seen a couple of bad rounds that I cought while loading the mags. One had a tear in the case and the other had no primer. The ammo also tends to shoot somewhat dirty and leaves little bits of red primer sealant all over. All this being said, you cant beat it for practice.

Sam
03-27-09, 16:21
I shot thousands of rounds of Wolf in my Glocks (17, 19, 34), never had a single problem.

KellyTTE
03-27-09, 16:36
Again, thousands of Wolf thru my Frankenglock. I did have an issue with light primer strikes, but that was a firing pin issue and not the weapon.

Saginaw79
03-27-09, 19:31
More Wolf than brass in most my guns, ZERO issue and it wont hurt your extractor

David Thomas
03-27-09, 20:30
Wolf primers seem to be harder to ignite, so if your Glock is set up for "gaming" you may get frustrated by light primer strikes. (reduced striker spring & reduced recoil spring, etc...)

Other than that you should not have a problem.

KellyTTE
03-27-09, 20:36
Well, mine is a build off of a parted out .357 that the guy sold the slide assy and barrel to one guy and the frame to me. I used it with a Caspian slide as a G17 and it works well enough, but its not a 'go to' weapon. I use it for practice and as a backup. But other than the slide and some Magpul speed plates, its bone stock otherwise.

YVK
03-28-09, 21:46
I just started to shoot Wolf out of my G19 on a trial basis. Mine a is new gun with stock springs. First two boxes - without problems; then 19 light primer strikes from a third box.
So, I had an excellent ball and dummy practice session today:D

Blankwaffe
03-28-09, 23:55
No problems to report with Wolf in the G21.Well other than its underpower and nasty...runs fine though.

malignantbum
03-29-09, 15:35
I've dumped a couple K of Wolf thru my G17 and G19, I have experienced a couple meaning 4 FTF out of 2K rounds. This was aprox. 13 months ago, I have a Dillon 650 and reload most if not all what I shoot. Yet the price I got on the Wolf was hard to beat when I calculated my time and components.

blackscot
03-30-09, 12:20
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the general concensus is: should be OK.

M4arc
03-30-09, 14:19
I don't go out of my way to shoot it but when it's available it always works well in my Glocks.

There's a certain Virginia Gun Nut that shoots Wolf exclusively out of his G22 and has done so for years. If there was a problem I bet he would have discovered it by now. ;)

blackscot
03-31-09, 05:52
.......There's a certain Virginia Gun Nut that shoots Wolf exclusively out of his G22 and has done so for years. If there was a problem I bet he would have discovered it by now. ;)

I'm acquainted with the gentleman (although not seen him around for a few years). "That's good stuff."

M4arc
03-31-09, 08:02
I'm acquainted with the gentleman (although not seen him around for a few years). "That's good stuff."

I spoke to him recently (via PM) and he appears to be doing good. He talked about going to the Vickers AK class coming up and I hope he can make it because I would love to see him and shoot with him again.

He's a good dude.

blackscot
03-31-09, 12:01
......I hope he can make it because I would love to see him and shoot with him again.

He's a good dude.

Ditto -- excellent person. Was one of the regulars at the IDPA rifle and shotgun side matches that Templar and I used to run at Cavalier. Hope you guys can catch-up.

va-gunnut
04-04-09, 21:42
Finally I can respond on here.

Thanks Marc!:)

I'm still alive and kicking. I took a break from the shooting scene for a little while but I've been back for a few several months.

As to the topic at hand, yes I shoot that evil ammo in my pistol without issues. :D

M4arc
04-05-09, 06:40
Finally I can respond on here.

Thanks Marc!:)

I'm still alive and kicking. I took a break from the shooting scene for a little while but I've been back for a few several months.

As to the topic at hand, yes I shoot that evil ammo in my pistol without issues. :D

HEY!!!

It's great to have you and I know a lot of Virginia shooters were worried about you. Glad you're back!

SeaSoldier
04-05-09, 10:12
Off topic but I sure miss Virginia. I was stationed at Marine Barracks in 77. Then returned to Alexandria for awhile in 85. I went back to my brothers wedding in 06. Your fortunate to live in God's country.

blackscot
04-06-09, 04:57
Also OT -- but I'm the OP -- so it's OK (got acronym? :rolleyes: :p ).

(1) Welcome back va-gunnut! Come back to Cavalier for an IDPA match sometime (4th Sundays). Nobody is running any rifle or shotgun side matches at present, so it's just pistol only but still plenty of fun, and I've heard recent talk of some kind of side matches getting re-established soon. I'll probably post a thread on the competition board here if that ever comes about.

(2) Also to SeaSoldier, come on back to Virginia anytime. And yes, it is the Center-of-the-Universe. :cool:

wesprt
04-07-09, 18:18
Never had or have seen issues with Wolf in Glocks

m4fun
04-07-09, 22:14
As much as have issues with some of its recent turns in politics, VA is Gods country.

As for Wolf, lots and lots in G19s. Heck, even Barnul zinc coated crap in my G19 at a recent class(500+ rounds).