PDA

View Full Version : T.I. gets a year and a day

rwp096
03-27-09, 18:16
the rapper TI had court today for the federal weapons chargers aganist him today and recieved a year and a day in prison. http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/03/26/ti_gun_sentence.html

HCPrepper
03-27-09, 18:48
Celebrity Justice at it's best, Bought and Paid for! If that had been you or I, we had been doing longer time then a year and a day.

ZDL
03-27-09, 18:51
Celebrity Justice at it's best, Bought and Paid for! If that had been you or I, we had been doing longer time then a year and a day.

Sounds like at least he was doing something to change his image. But I agree with your point entirely. At least he's not the worst of the worst if you get what I'm saying.

DBR
03-27-09, 19:06
IIRC a year and a day makes you a felon under federal law.

HCPrepper
03-27-09, 19:07
I agree with the fact that he is at least admitting his mistake, and is willing to do "time" for it. It's just unfair, that celebrities break the same laws you and I have to follow. And then get little to no, or greatly rediced punishment for it, due to thier popularity!:mad:

We all know, that if any of us, had been caught with illegal weapons, we had been thrown away, locked up and forgotten about by our government. Not given breaks.

I admire him for at least accepting the year and a day sentence, and carrying it out, instead of trying to completely buy his way out. But I still feel Justice has NOT been properly served.

ZDL
03-27-09, 19:20
I agree with the fact that he is at least admitting his mistake, and is willing to do "time" for it. It's just unfair, that celebrities break the same laws you and I have to follow. And then get little to no, or greatly rediced punishment for it, due to thier popularity!:mad:

We all know, that if any of us, had been caught with illegal weapons, we had been thrown away, locked up and forgotten about by our government. Not given breaks.

I admire him for at least accepting the year and a day sentence, and carrying it out, instead of trying to completely buy his way out. But I still feel Justice has NOT been properly served.

I agree.

lwoper
03-27-09, 20:24
He did like 1k hours of cummunity service over the last year waiting on his sentance to come down he may have helped to change the life of a few kids headed down the same road he was on

variablebinary
03-27-09, 20:37
He must have had a damn good legal defense team

He's certainly done some good community service work in the past year.

Left Sig
03-27-09, 21:13
If I remember correctly, he never actually possessed any unregistered NFA weapons. He attempted to buy them from an undercover agent, and was going to claim entrapment. The sentence is part of a plea agreement that probably saved the government a lot of litigation costs, and prevented a potential OJ type jury nullification from occurring.

Kimbo
03-27-09, 21:59
He must have had a damn good legal defense team

He's certainly done some good community service work in the past year.

That he has, MTV made it into a show. He had good intention to set troubled youths on the right path. If anything this has done wonders for his PR.

Rider79
03-27-09, 22:11
He's a a piece of shit. I was personally involved in a fight/near riot that he instigated outside a Las Vegas nightclub in November of 2006 after the Billboard Music Awards. His reason for the instigation: that we didn't have a VIP table available for him and his entourage.

au1776
03-27-09, 22:58
I'm not saying he's an icon of responsibility, but TI is one of the few (no idea who else, he may be the only one) rappers I relatively "admire."

I could be wrong, but he seems genuine in that he wants to use his fame to point kids in the right direction. His music seems to be a little different than the rest of the genre as well (at least what little I've heard, some relatively positive themes).

He certainly deserves no more respect (probably less) than the average decent human being, but I'm interested to see what he does from here.

exkc135driver
03-28-09, 01:59
T.I. sentenced to 1 year, 1 day on gun violations
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (fondly referred to by locals as "The Atlanta Urinal-Constitution")
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Atlanta rap artist T.I. will go to federal prison sometime after Mother’s Day and serve a year and a day for crimes that might get anybody else (like you or me) about five years in the slammer.

In October 2007, Atlanta rapper T.I. was arrested by federal undercover agents in a Midtown parking lot trying to buy machine guns, ammo and silencers.

At a sentencing hearing Friday in Atlanta, the 27-year-old singer (real name: Clifford Harris Jr. — latest CD: “Paper Trail”) (exactly HOW is the title of his latest CD relevant to the charges against him?), told U.S. District Court Judge Charles Pannell Jr. he was sorry, humbled by his arrest, and a changed man. Uh huh, yeah, sure.

“I am a man of integrity, I’m a man of morals, of standards, of principle,” he told Pannell. Gimme a break! T.I. IS A COMMON URBAN THUG!!! “I know it’s difficult to believe that — looking at my criminal history.” Gee ... ya think?

In exchange for shaving almost three years off his prison sentence, the singer has performed more than 1,000 hours of community service over the last year, telling kids and fans around the country not to emulate his old lifestyle of drugs, guns, gangs and violence. 3 years x 365 days/year x 24 hours/day = 26,280 hours in prison he shaved off his sentence by doing 1,000 hours of community service.

Meanwhile he found time to star in his own MTV reality show, “T.I.’s Road To Redemption,” while becoming one of the hottest acts in show biz, with three hit songs and a Grammy Award. How many millions of dollars did this common thug make doing this -- when he should have been in prison?
When T.I.’s high-powered defense team that included Don Samuel, Ed Garland, Steve Sadow, and Dwight Thomas, cut the plea deal last year with U.S. Attorney David Nahmias, it came under sharp criticism from some as another example of celebrity justice, bought and paid for. I wonder why people have no faith in the criminal justice system?
[Andrew Young] described their relationship as like a child and grandparent, saying the two of them worked together in community outreach, visiting victims of violent crimes in New York, and a movie was made out of that collaboration. How touching.
“Although I am not thrilled about my next year and a day,” he said, “I am pleased that I am beginning to put this all behind me.” You are a common criminal. You are not supposed to be thrilled.
“If you had failed, I would have simply sent you to prison,” said Pannell. “I would have probably hung Mr. Nahmias out the window of the 23rd floor.”

He laughed. So did Nahmias, the courtroom, and everybody at the defense table. It's all just a big ****ing JOKE, isn't it?

I am friggin' DISGUSTED with this.

Iraqgunz
03-28-09, 06:15
This whole thing is bullshit and almost seems as if he is being portrayed as a victim. This is exactly why we have assholes like that Mixon POS in Oakland on the losse killing cops. Mixon should have been behind bars and this T.I guy shouldn't have been able to plea down the charges. But, it's not just him. It's the whole celebrity world that continues to get a slap on the wrist. Whether it be Paris Hilton, Snoop Dogg, T.I, Charles Barkley or Lindsay Lohan. It's sick......

Rider79
03-28-09, 07:28
This whole thing is bullshit and almost seems as if he is being portrayed as a victim. This is exactly why we have assholes like that Mixon POS in Oakland on the losse killing cops. Mixon should have been behind bars and this T.I guy shouldn't have been able to plea down the charges. But, it's not just him. It's the whole celebrity world that continues to get a slap on the wrist. Whether it be Paris Hilton, Snoop Dogg, T.I, Charles Barkley or Lindsay Lohan. It's sick......

Regardless of Barkley's criminal issues, he is a pretty good guy. I've dealt with all of the above, and they're all assholes, the exception being Barkley. If it makes anyone feel better, in my encounter with TI he did get tossed across the hall (he's only 5'3"), and one of our guys choked out his bodyguard. Young Jeezy, another rapper, took a significant ass beating in the melée as well.

chesty21
03-28-09, 14:27
Gun control laws at work! This piece of crap should sit in jail for the max allowable. If it was any of use we could have gotten the max. Hopefully he will get shanked in jail.

kal
03-28-09, 14:49
Wow So much hatred for TI, for ****ing what?

As far as I'm concerned, no human being deserves to have time from their lives taken away from them over trying to purchase something that we in the gun community would love to try and get in a store near you, with out the added NFA rules crap..

We already know that going to prison over trying to buy MG's and silencers without all the red tape is WRONG, REGARDLESS IF IT'S THE LAW.

This shit is ridiculous. When that militia leader from god knows where was posing with an illegal full auto sten and was caught, people were yelling about the constitution and the second amendment and all that shit. Now rapper TI is practically in the same situation and he's getting called a "common criminal", or that "he should be shanked".

**** that double standard bullshit.

exkc135driver
03-28-09, 15:15
As far as I'm concerned, no human being deserves to have time from their lives taken away from them over trying to purchase something that we in the gun community would love to try and get in a store near you, with out the added NFA rules crap..

He was attempting to purchase the items in question illegally. Does that not matter to you?

We already know that going to prison over trying to buy MG's and silencers without all the red tape is WRONG, REGARDLESS IF IT'S THE LAW

“We” do? Really? Who is “we”? Evidently your attitude is, you should be able to do whatever you want to do, without regard to whether it is legal. That, sir, is not MY attitude.

With an attitude like yours, I hope to God that the only gun you own is a water gun.

kal
03-28-09, 15:34
By your attitude, anything that is heavily regulated and/or completely prohibited is justified, no matter how ridiculous the propostition is?

That is an attitude I do not share. That mindset is for the sheep, not for logical, sound minded people.

He was attempting to purchase the items in question illegally. Does that not matter to you?

Given the scope of what was being done, no it doesn't not matter.

But my main point is, when there are two people doing something "wrong" ("wrong" is highly subjective in this case), why should one of those persons deserve more punishment than the other?

exkc135driver
03-28-09, 15:58
By your attitude, anything that is heavily regulated and/or completely prohibited is justified, no matter how ridiculous the propostition is?

Did I say that? Did I say that? No, I did not say that.

There are some laws I do not like. There are some gun laws I do not like. But I obey them. Like the man says, you don’t have to like it, you just have to do it.

If you don’t like the law (be it gun law, traffic law, tort law, whatever), then work to change it. Flagrantly disobeying it accomplishes nothing. Flagrantly disobeying gun laws does nothing but play into the hands of the gun-grabbers. It also makes you part of the problem.

That mindset is for the sheep, not for logical, sound minded people.

Once again, you are advocating ignoring any law you don’t like. I would agree with you that there are many stupid, illogical laws (especially gun laws) on the books. If you think that makes it OK to ignore them, then you are sadly mistaken. "Logical, sound minded people" won't ignore them, they will work to change the laws that they don't like.

If you want to call me a sheeple because I am not [knowingly] going to violate any laws (especially gun laws), then be my guest.

But my main point is, when there are two people doing something "wrong" ("wrong" is highly subjective in this case), why should one of those persons deserve more punishment than the other?

Let me rephrase your question: when there are two people doing something illegal, in similar circumstances, why should one of those persons deserve less punishment than the other?

To me, the answer is: he shouldn’t.

chesty21
03-28-09, 16:07

We already know that going to prison over trying to buy MG's and silencers without all the red tape is WRONG, REGARDLESS IF IT'S THE LAW.

This shit is ridiculous. When that militia leader from god knows where was posing with an illegal full auto sten and was caught, people were yelling about the constitution and the second amendment and all that shit. Now rapper TI is practically in the same situation and he's getting called a "common criminal", or that "he should be shanked".

If you can not do the time don't do the crime, he broke the law period and this is not not his first offence either.

The worst part about all this is he is being toted as a role model LOL! The only way this punk could be a role model is to serve a twenty year sentence.

He says one thing in court and on TV and raps completly the opposite message.

chesty21
03-28-09, 16:08
Duplicate post

rwp096
03-28-09, 17:29
i agree with what most of you all are saying that yes he should be punished because yes he willingly and intentionally broke the law to buy something illegal. now the law he broke, i'm sure most of us on do not agree with he law he broke and im sure that there are illeglally modified guns out there for personal use with no harm intended to anyone. anyways a bullet from a semi auto firearms can be just as deadly as one from a fully automatic one but that is just my .02

Iraqgunz
03-28-09, 17:32
Not sure what dipshits you are referring to but I could careless if it was a militia goon or a Medal of Honor winner. It's still illegal. I had an opportunity to obtain (2) firearms that were worth a nice penny and both were unregistered NFA items. I turned it down outright. Had I bought them, then I would have to face the music if I had been caught. Just like when I used to carry my handgun in my car in California.

I am also not a rapper or gang banger wannabee.

kal
03-28-09, 19:14
Did I say that? Did I say that? No, I did not say that.

The way I read it, you were certainly hinting towards that ideology.

If you don’t like the law (be it gun law, traffic law, tort law, whatever), then work to change it.

Please do not make me laugh. Go and try to politically advocate the repealing of some MG and silencers laws. Watch how fast they'll hang you by your balls.

Once again, you are advocating ignoring any law you don’t like............

........If you want to call me a sheeple because I am not [knowingly] going to violate any laws (especially gun laws), then be my guest.

I wouldn't personally advocate breaking laws, even if I sounded like I am. I wouldn't want to be in TI's shoes anymore than any of you.

Second, I wasn't specifically calling you sheeple.

Let me rephrase your question: when there are two people doing something illegal, in similar circumstances, why should one of those persons deserve less punishment than the other?

I agree.

However, the technical punishment requirement for someone breaking NFA laws are far more fitting for someone who harmed another human being, rather than trying to purchase an object.

Rider79
03-28-09, 19:21
Hopefully he will get shanked in jail.

We can only hope. :)

exkc135driver
03-28-09, 23:26
The way I read it, you were certainly hinting towards that ideology.

I did not say it. I did not imply it. You inferred it.

Please do not make me laugh. Go and try to politically advocate the repealing of some MG and silencers laws. Watch how fast they'll hang you by your balls.

No, they won’t hang you by your balls, nor will they hang you by anything else. If you don’t like it, but you aren’t willing to try to change it, then you have no right to complain. (Actually, I believe that those laws are (possibly) in the process of being liberalized in a couple of states -- Alabama and Michigan, if I recall correctly. Evidently someone has chosen political advocacy over whining and advocating breaking the law.)

I wouldn't personally advocate breaking laws, even if I sounded like I am.

Really? Perhaps you should re-read your posts. Your words speak for themselves.

Second, I wasn't specifically calling you sheeple.

I did not say you were … I merely told you that if you wished to do so, that you could be my guest (i.e., that you were welcome to do so if you so desired). Actually, my point was that I am completely indifferent to what you might call me.

However, the technical punishment requirement for someone breaking NFA laws are far more fitting for someone who harmed another human being, rather than trying to purchase an object.

You are entitled to your opinion. As far as the law is concerned, you are wrong, but you are still entitled to your opinion.

I’ve had enough of this debate. If you care to have the last word, be my guest.

Infidel1975
03-29-09, 05:51
+1 on hoping he gets shanked.

QuickStrike
03-29-09, 06:27
He's definitely not the worse...

Read an interview or something in a magazine, and he was basically saying that one of his friends got killed in a drive-by or something. Claimed that if he had a gun and was able to shoot back, this wouldn't have happened. Hence his habit of carrying/buying guns.

For students of thug-jitsu, cops aren't the most dangerous enemy. Rival thugs are.

Grow up in tha hood and hang out with certain people = very hard to get away from that "life". Doesn't mean that gangbangers aren't retards and taggers shouldn't get "homo" tattooed on their fore-heads, but..

Safetyhit
03-30-09, 12:07
Meanwhile he found time to star in his own MTV reality show, “T.I.’s Road To Redemption,” while becoming one of the hottest acts in show biz, with three hit songs and a Grammy Award. How many millions of dollars did this common thug make doing this -- when he should have been in prison?

Dead on, my friend.

Thirty prior arrests, and this is the POS's sentence? Fu*ks like him create the chaos out there that not only generates terror amongst the population, but fuels the anti's when they hurt or kill.

Hopefully a rival has him shanked in there.

variablebinary
03-30-09, 12:35
Regardless of Barkley's criminal issues, he is a pretty good guy. I've dealt with all of the above, and they're all assholes, the exception being Barkley. If it makes anyone feel better, in my encounter with TI he did get tossed across the hall (he's only 5'3"), and one of our guys choked out his bodyguard. Young Jeezy, another rapper, took a significant ass beating in the melée as well.

How do I get invites to your parties because that sounds like quite a night. Reminds of living back in NYC

hatt
03-30-09, 12:44
I'd rather have TI out on the streets and paying large amounts of taxes v a ten year prison sentence I'm paying for. Call me crazy. If he robs or shoots someone I'll change my position.

Iraqgunz
03-30-09, 12:57
Would you say the same thing if he was on the streets and then killed someone? We don't (aren't supposed to) reward people for breaking the law. We punish them. To put this is perspective had this been you or I we would not have gotten off so easily and our lives would be destroyed.

Because his only apparent talent is rapping, he doesn't have to worry about a felony conviction on his curriculum vitae as we do.

I'd rather have TI out on the streets and paying large amounts of taxes v a ten year prison sentence I'm paying for. Call me crazy. If he robs or shoots someone I'll change my position.

Dave L.
03-30-09, 13:04
I love watching rappers go to jail.

Safetyhit
03-30-09, 15:20
Because his only apparent talent is rapping...

Must have missed the part about rapping requiring any talent. ;)

kal
03-30-09, 15:49
Must have missed the part about rapping requiring any talent.

There's plenty of talent in rapping. But the stuff you hear on MTV and the radio is all garbage pumped out for the sake of advertising.

Good tunes, ****ed lyrics.

Safetyhit
03-30-09, 19:28
There's plenty of talent in rapping. But the stuff you hear on MTV and the radio is all garbage pumped out for the sake of advertising.

Good tunes, ****ed lyrics.

I disagree. Rapping is rhyming, nothing more. Any idiot can formulate such garbage. And the lack of any decent rhythm is blatant.

As a 39 year old who was and still is a devout fan of the great black music of the late 80's and early 90's, I see today's crap is just horrendous, materialistic, soulless slop from top to bottom.

Kimbo
03-30-09, 19:30
Not sure if it's true but heard on the radio station today that T.I. might end up actually serving 2months in a federal prison since he spent 355 days on a "house arrest".

kal
03-30-09, 21:00
Rapping is rhyming, nothing more. Any idiot can formulate such garbage.

Non sense. Nearly all music in general consists of rhyming. We can see you hate rap, great. But to single it out is laughable. Especially since alot of music doesn't have rhyming at all, but a story.

Any idiot can formulate a story without rhyming

I see today's crap is just horrendous, materialistic, soulless slop from top to bottom.

That applies to this....

But the stuff you hear on MTV and the radio is all garbage pumped out for the sake of advertising.

Safetyhit
03-30-09, 21:15
Non sense. Nearly all music in general consists of rhyming... Especially since alot of music doesn't have rhyming at all, but a story.

I believe these statements contradict each other.

That said, I have to agree with you overall. I think we get each others point.

randyman_ar
03-30-09, 23:22
Contrary to what Neil Diamond sang in the 70's, not only does "money talk" but it also "sings and dances" and it does walk! What a crock of shit sentence! I should be so lucky

Centerfire
03-31-09, 14:35
Hopefully they do not give him any special treatment.