PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness mag pouches???

HAIL-CAESAR
03-27-09, 23:29
Have any of you folks tried the Wilderness Pistol and rifle mag pouches? I am thinking about picking some up for some training and like the sound of them. I am under the impression they are easy on/ easy off. But do they hold the mag securely an not let it flop around?

oregonshooter
03-28-09, 00:23
Just got two of them for my MP5 mags. They are well built but collapse after pulling the mag and require two hands to "pouch?" the mag. Retention is great and smooth to draw as it gets easier as the mag comes out, squeezing it out.

Great for what they are intended to be, which is a concealed carry pouch that tucks the mag in tight and allows easy ON/OFF.

I can put it on and off with one hand but it is a specialty item IMO.

The bottom sits quite a bit lower than the belt line so it pushes the top of the mag toward the body for concealment.

I'm glad I got mine, but its for discretionary carry of extra subgun ammo only.

HAIL-CAESAR
03-28-09, 00:29
Urrg, they close up after the mags are taken out? Maybe they are not for me.

oregonshooter
03-28-09, 00:44
Flat as a pancake.

If you leave a mag in them all the time they develop some memory, but not enough to use them like a normal mag pouch.

bkb0000
03-28-09, 00:56
why would you want to put an empty mag back into a pouch? use a dump bag or pockets

oregonshooter
03-28-09, 01:10
I wouldn't put an empty mag into a belt pouch.

I would consolidate my ammo to the front and do tactical reloads from the rear, which would be easier not needing two hands to hold the mouth open though. :)

ST911
03-28-09, 11:33
Have any of you folks tried the Wilderness Pistol and rifle mag pouches? I am thinking about picking some up for some training and like the sound of them. I am under the impression they are easy on/ easy off. But do they hold the mag securely an not let it flop around?

I have some, and have worn them in classes and on duty.

They are quick to put on and fit a variety of belts. Quality is outstanding. They securely hold the mag, and collapse when its withdrawn. Replacing a mag is not as smooth as with a kydex pouch or reinforced pouch (ala Eagle FB), but can be done if that's your preference.

I thought I had more pics of the pouch itself, but I guess not. Here's one holding a 20rd PMag, with a 30rd PMag and CQB Solutions 20rd pouch for size comparison.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/20rd%20PMag/IMG_1478.jpg

For a single-mag pouch, I can also recommend the Holsters Plus offering. You will have to pick a belt loop size as the loop is molded but the quality is also outstanding. They are also low profile and great for discreet carry if needed. See them here:

http://www.holstersplus.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1166

markm
03-28-09, 12:06
Have one for AR mags. It's a good piece of gear to have. I keep a mag in it all the time in my shooting tote. Very quick to loop onto your belt if you want to grab an extra mag and go.

HAIL-CAESAR
03-28-09, 12:09
I have been pondering them for training and just to carry around. But I'm not sure a pouch that takes 2 hands to load is ideal for me.