PDA

View Full Version : Best 9mm Gold dot?

Mr.Goodtimes
03-28-09, 10:36
I recently purchased a beretta 92 and im looking for some good affordable self defense ammo to stock pile. Right now i have a couple mags loaded with 147gr winchest ranger, however i noticed that Georgia arms has some good prices on gold dot ammo. is the gold dot a good self defense load? They have 115gr and 124gr gold dots (im assuming the 115gr is pretty much outta the question) and a 147gr JHP +p round. Im not sure what type of JHP round this is though.

-Ryan

Marcus L.
03-28-09, 10:49
Gold Dots are generally a pretty good JHP provided that they are loaded to the manufacturer's specifications. Georgia Arms usually loads theirs within CCI Speer's recommendations.

The 124gr+P Gold Dot is Speer's optimal load in my opinion. The standard pressure 147gr is known to on occasion plug more easily and not provide adequate expansion. Besides, if you look at Georgia Arms 147gr load it is not a Gold Dot. Not sure what kind of 147gr bullet they use.

Go with the 124gr+P Gold Dot and don't worry about it.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-28-09, 11:12
sounds like we got a winner! thanks marcus

ToddG
03-28-09, 14:54
Can't speak to GA Arms in terms of construction, reliability, etc. But the genuine Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot is certainly an outstanding choice. It's been working well at NYPD for a number of years and last I heard, they shoot people once in a while. :cool:

Mr.Goodtimes
03-28-09, 17:45
Iver herd a lot of great things about georgia arms, from people id trust as well. their ammo is supposed to be top notch. thanks for the info on the gold dot todd!

Marcus L.
03-28-09, 17:49
Iver herd a lot of great things about georgia arms, from people id trust as well. their ammo is supposed to be top notch. thanks for the info on the gold dot todd!

I've never had any problems with it on my end. I've ordered many cases of 9mm, .40S&W, .380acp, .45acp, 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308 over the years.

tpd223
03-29-09, 07:54
We've been using the 124gr +P Gold Dot here for many years. It works, and it works very well.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 14:22
thats good to hear. ill order a box and see how it shoots out of my beretta.

tpd223
03-29-09, 17:19
It has also worked well for NYPD. I talk to a couple of ESU guys there, they are happy with that ammo. They advise that no one complains anymore about the need for a larger caliber.

JHC
03-29-09, 17:24
I missed a shot at a small buck when I had a dud GA Arms Shear Power Plus 155 grain Gold Dot 10mm load. "Click" and the little buck never looked up. Just kept sniffing for does and I leaned back laughing. But then I took the rest of that "bag" of ammo to the range and had several more duds and two that erupted in a massive fireball with proportionatly impressive muzzle blast.
I removed the rest of my GA ammo from my carry ammo stash.
I've seen good accuracy from their .223 match ammo and their .308 hunting ammo, but a recent 500 round can of their "Canned Heat" bulk .223 55 grain FMJ couldn't group less than 6" from my Noveske upper or LMT Defender at 50 YARDS!!!

So if you've had good luck with it, good on ya. I have too at times.
But it's not ammo I buy any longer for SD.

tpd223
04-01-09, 02:44
This would be why I carry the Gold Dot as loaded by CCI, QC is important, and certainly far more so than a few extra FPS from magically loaded super fast bullets as made by some smaller outfits.

DocGKR
04-01-09, 09:44
Speer 124 gr +P is probably the best Gold Dot load, followed by the BH loading of the same projectile. For multiple good reasons, in general for duty use it is much better to only use ammo from major suppliers with USG contracts--ATK (Fed/LC/Speer), BH, Hornady, Remington, or Winchester.

jhs1969
04-08-09, 01:57
I have expanison tested .45 Gold Dots (factory load) with GA's .45 load with a Gold Dot bullet, both 230gr. The factory load expanded a great deal more than the GA's Gold Dot loading. I would recommend useing factory loaded Gold Dots.