PDA

View Full Version : VA Restaurant Carry

Triton28
03-28-09, 13:58
Chairman Kaine strikes again. :mad:
http://www.roanoke.com/politics/wb/199273

For the second year in a row, Kaine also vetoed a bill (SB 1035) that would allow gun owners with concealed-carry permits to have firearms in establishments that serve alcohol, as long as they don't drink. Kaine said allowing concealed weapons in such venues "puts the public, the employees and our public safety officers at risk."

Gun measures vetoed also included one that would have allowed retired law enforcement officers to have concealed guns in establishments that serve alcohol (SB 877), another that would have exempted active duty military personnel from Virginia's one-handgun-per-month purchase law (HB 1851) and one that would have required localities that conduct gun buyback programs to attempt to sell the weapons to licensed dealers (HB 2528).

John_Wayne777
03-28-09, 14:06
And folks, please....PLEASE remember this the next time somebody on the internet tells you how we're all just cool because there are a lot of suddenly "pro-gun" democrats in elective office.

Kaine and Warner are perfect examples of why "pro-gun" goes in quotes.

Heavy Metal
03-28-09, 14:47
Don't lump Kaine with Warner. Warner is much better.

Kaine will be vetoing exactly two things next year and one done left town.

JW777: Kaine was never pro-gun. He gave busses to the MMMers paid for by the Richmond taxpayers.

Gutshot John
03-28-09, 14:50
Any chance of an override?

John_Wayne777
03-28-09, 15:11
Don't lump Kaine with Warner. Warner is much better.

Kaine will be vetoing exactly two things next year and one done left town.

JW777: Kaine was never pro-gun. He gave busses to the MMMers paid for by the Richmond taxpayers.

YOU know he was never pro-gun....I know he was never pro gun. Various "sportsmen" groups, however, did not seem to possess this knowledge.

Warner and Kaine's success on the gun issue was a prototype for what Obama pulled in the 2008 general election. When Kaine's time is up Macauliffe will be "pro-gun" too.

Heavy Metal
03-28-09, 15:16
Mcauliffe can be whatever he wants to be and it aint gonna matter. This November will not be a good time to run as a Democrat.

ToddG
03-28-09, 15:26
It's called concealed carry for a reason, is all I'm sayin' ...

trio
03-28-09, 15:32
Warner WAS actually pro-gun, though....he supported a lot of legislation in the Commonwealth when governor...

I've never heard anyone call Kaine pro-gun...ever.....

as far as an override...it will take several Senators to switch the way they voted for the bill when it initially passed, which I don't see happening

this is the second year in a row some incarnation of this bill has been vetoed by the governor

i see McAuliffe as having a snowball's chance in hell of winning this fall...he even lacks a lot of support here in NoVA

honestly, Jim Gilmore has the personality publicly of wet cardboard sometimes, or Kaine may not have won then....

either way, the man is a twit....

M4arc
03-28-09, 15:35
It's called concealed carry for a reason, is all I'm sayin' ...

WORD! ;)

Triton28
03-28-09, 16:18
Any chance of an override?

Doubt it.

On the bright side, 2 of the 3 Dems running (Deeds and Moran) for Gov. next year would likely let this bill pass. Of the two, I only would bet for sure on Creigh Deeds. At the risk of disregarding JW777's wise words, he is from my back yard (Bath County) and would be turning against his entire political past if he turned pro gun-control. So if we're keeping score, that would be a 75%ish chance this bill would pass if introduced next year.

But let's go ahead and vote for McDonnell and make it 100% ;)

mourneblade
03-28-09, 19:11
Doubt it.

On the bright side, 2 of the 3 Dems running (Deeds and Moran) for Gov. next year would likely let this bill pass. Of the two, I only would bet for sure on Creigh Deeds. At the risk of disregarding JW777's wise words, he is from my back yard (Bath County) and would be turning against his entire political past if he turned pro gun-control. So if we're keeping score, that would be a 75%ish chance this bill would pass if introduced next year.

But let's go ahead and vote for McDonnell and make it 100% ;)

I heard Moran being interviewed on the radio Friday. He said he supported vetoing the concealed restaurant carry bill. He also said Deeds was the only candidate who supported concealed restaurant carry.

Triton28
03-28-09, 20:07
I heard Moran being interviewed on the radio Friday. He said he supported vetoing the concealed restaurant carry bill. He also said Deeds was the only candidate who supported concealed restaurant carry.

After digging a little bit more, I'm getting conflicting reports on what Moran's NRA rating is. One website I just looked at says it's an "F", while some idiot on the DailyKos (yeah, I know) says he and Deeds (which I know to be true) have an "A" rating. I was also assuming McDonnell would take the position you would expect a Republican to take.

Hopefully more light will be shed as we get closer to the election.

bkb0000
03-28-09, 20:11
Oregon, for all it's liberalism (solid blue state for years), actually has great gun laws... shall issue, carry in school, carry in all public buildings/places (except courthouses), all NFA legal, bars OK, etc, so i generally dont have to worry about it. there are plenty of places posted "NO FIREARMS," but i'll tell you what- if they want my money, they're getting me and firepower. as Todd said, it's called "concealed carry" for a reason. washington doesn't recognize Oregon's CHPs- i have to go to washington sometimes... think i'm gonna not protect myself because i gotta cross some imaginary border?

HES
03-28-09, 20:20
Question about oregon (at the rist of taking this thread in a different direction0 but what does the law say about concealed carry in a place with a posted 'No firearms' sign / placard? In Florida that is treated as just a request. but in Alabama, if you are caught carrying in such a place you are in violation of the law. How is it in Oregon? Also how secure do you think your rights to KBA are in Oregon?

ZDL
03-28-09, 20:34
Question about oregon (at the rist of taking this thread in a different direction0 but what does the law say about concealed carry in a place with a posted 'No firearms' sign / placard? In Florida that is treated as just a request. but in Alabama, if you are caught carrying in such a place you are in violation of the law. How is it in Oregon? Also how secure do you think your rights to KBA are in Oregon?

To further take it another direction.... Where have you seen such placards in Florida? I've yet too. Curious as to where/who would have them posted.

bkb0000
03-28-09, 20:53
In Oregon, there's no crime specifically for carrying against a posting, but you could, in theory, be charged with Criminal Trespass if the right conditions existed. I seriously doubt it would stick if you weren't given ample opportunity to remove yourself from the property. Basically, they'd have to discover you were carrying, have a problem with it, ask you to leave, and if you didn't, you'd be guilty of Criminal Trespass.

The notices i've seen have just been basic "No firearms allowed on premises" with a picture of a revolver crossed out. I'll take a picture of one they have posted in a local hardware store here in my town next time i'm in there.

Itsahak
03-28-09, 21:00
Kaine said allowing concealed weapons in such venues "puts the public, the employees and our public safety officers at risk.""

Funny. I've never been contacted by anyone about whether we feel this is a threat to us or not. And to date neither has anyone in my Department or across the street at the city PD.....

HES
03-28-09, 21:27
To further take it another direction.... Where have you seen such placards in Florida? I've yet too. Curious as to where/who would have them posted.
Some mall entrances will have a little 'no weapons' sticker on the doors.

ZDL
03-28-09, 21:47
Some mall entrances will have a little 'no weapons' sticker on the doors.

I'll have to look at that in my town. Can't remember the last time I was at the mall. I'll be in Tampa tomorrow, I'll look for them.

trio
03-28-09, 22:37
McDonnell and Creigh Deeds are both great guys and great candidates

Moran is a motherf*cker and a corrupt son of a bitch.....

McDonnell vs. Deeds is a win-win for the Commonwealth...both are honorable men and would serve us well

HiggsBoson
03-28-09, 22:46
McDonnell vs. Deeds is a win-win for the Commonwealth...both are honorable men and would serve us well

Trio: Do you know them personally, or know their backgrounds? I'm a Commonwealth voter myself, and wouldn't mind learning more about it from someone in the know.

exkc135driver
03-28-09, 23:37
The notices i've seen have just been basic "No firearms allowed on premises" with a picture of a revolver crossed out.

So, don't carry a revolver. Glocks are better anyway. :D

Triton28
03-28-09, 23:38

Agreed.

I just wish Deeds hadn't campaigned so much for Obama this past election. I can handle party politics, but seeing his name pop up with BHO makes me a little uneasy.

Here's to hoping it was just political posturing.

mmike87
03-29-09, 09:41
And folks, please....PLEASE remember this the next time somebody on the internet tells you how we're all just cool because there are a lot of suddenly "pro-gun" democrats in elective office.

Kaine and Warner are perfect examples of why "pro-gun" goes in quotes.

I do not recall anyone ever suggesting Kaine was pro-gun. Warner signed every pro gub bill to hit his desk while he was governor.

Unfortunately, I think his performance in his new office will be "party line" based on the responses I have received from him on various issues.

mmike87
03-29-09, 09:43
Agreed.

I just wish Deeds hadn't campaigned so much for Obama this past election. I can handle party politics, but seeing his name pop up with BHO makes me a little uneasy.

Here's to hoping it was just political posturing.

Deeds worries me. He's "pro gun" (intentionally in quotes) but I do not trust any "pro gun" person that supported Obama.

You CAN'T be pro gun and support Obama. It's not possible.

Littlelebowski
03-29-09, 10:18

There's at least two guys on this site that think they can do so.

HiggsBoson
03-29-09, 10:26
Deeds worries me. He's "pro gun" (intentionally in quotes) but I do not trust any "pro gun" person that supported Obama.

Deeds vocally supports legislation to "close the gun show loophole" which is disingenuous at best, and unconstitutional at worst. That's not "pro gun", in my book.

mmike87
03-29-09, 19:07
Deeds vocally supports legislation to "close the gun show loophole" which is disingenuous at best, and unconstitutional at worst. That's not "pro gun", in my book.

I was thinking of that bill when I was posting but couldn't remember what silly bill he had supported. He's voted right on a bunch of good bills, but the "loophole" things to me just shows he's irrational.

THen again, he's just voting for "common sense" gun laws.

trio
03-29-09, 21:12
i met McDonnell briefly when I was in law school in Richmond...and I have friends that have associated with him quite a bit....that is who will be getting my vote

I have never met Deeds, but have the same sort of connection...friends I have who are lawyers have met him and say he fits more in the Dixiecrat fold then Democrat

I can't explain the vote for the loophole, nor will I try....it bothers me too

but either of these guys is better than that assclown Kaine