PDA

View Full Version : rra 2 stage trigger..

cbh4153
03-28-09, 20:23
I have a s&w m&p 15t and was wanting to put in a rra 2 stage trigger ,there are two options 1.two stage 2. two stage with large pins colt, which one do I need?

tactical1
03-28-09, 20:55
Should be the first option

0.154 inch pins

Colt's take Colt (0.170 pins, although I;ve heard recent production may use standard FCP)

bkb0000
03-28-09, 21:00
unless they've changed, RRA NM 2S trigs have oversized pins (about .155 or .156) that are designed to be literally hammered into the receiver- i've opted to use standard pins and have had success. In other words, order their "standard" size and don't use their pins. My advice only.

flyboy1788
03-28-09, 21:21
save a little more and get a geissele SSA.

Blankwaffe
03-28-09, 23:27
I personally have no use for the two stage,NM,tactical or whatever else they are called..Sure aint paying extra to get one.
That was the first thing I pulled out of my Armalite lowers was the two stage tactical and NM triggers.I personally prefer the LMT single stage over just about anything else out there.Seems to be a more positive performer for me.
Might just be me though....Im a ham fisted monkey.

rich9644
03-28-09, 23:56
The information posted is correct. Colt uses different sized pins.

Regarding the RRA trigger, I just completed my dept. patrol rifle course which we are issued the RRA LAR-15 with 2 stage trigger. I found the RRA trigger to be very light at 4.5-5 lbs.; compared to my STAG LPK, and LMT LPK triggers ( which I believe to be around 7-8lbs. I don't know about long term durability though. The instructors initally wanted the standard triggers but RRA included the 2 stage. I did find the RRA triggers really smooth to shoot compared to me personal AR's. Maybe I have to wear in my rifles a little more?

I am by no means a expert on AR's. Just my opinion.

-Rich

Blankwaffe
03-29-09, 00:36
The information posted is correct. Colt uses different sized pins.

Regarding the RRA trigger, I just completed my dept. patrol rifle course which we are issued the RRA LAR-15 with 2 stage trigger. I found the RRA trigger to be very light at 4.5-5 lbs.; compared to my STAG LPK, and LMT LPK triggers ( which I believe to be around 7-8lbs. I don't know about long term durability though. The instructors initally wanted the standard triggers but RRA included the 2 stage. I did find the RRA triggers really smooth to shoot compared to me personal AR's. Maybe I have to wear in my rifles a little more?

I am by no means a expert on AR's. Just my opinion.

-Rich

Yeap,in my day of being a LEO we were only allowed to have standard triggers on rifles and CAR's.That is on what little we were allowed to use something like the AR platform.Primary SWAT weapon right after I was assigned was the 870,MP5 and the somewhat new at the time G21.Before the transition to more modern weapons it was worn out M16A1's,870's,S&W 4506 and we had a few old timer Thompsons in inventory.
We were allowed to use private purchase weapons but they had to have standard triggers....none of the tacticool stuff was allowed period.God forbid a flashlight mounted on anything....
Guess thats why I still prefer standard trigger groups on my weapons and have no use for weapons mounted lights.
Sorry Im rambling....

bkb0000
03-29-09, 00:55
single or 2S trigs aren't really a preference.. they're for different applications. i agree with Blank that LMT singles are good trigs- i'd like to have a set for all my open-sight weapons (if they werent a pain in the ass to get), but for basically anything with a magnified optic of 4x or more you're probably gonna want a 2S. you can be smooth as silk, but for those 500 meter moving targets you need the trig to break on demand. if you don't do any distance shooting, single stage all the way.

rich9644
03-30-09, 18:03
Sorry to go off topic-

Blank- the funny thing is that RRA also included barrel mounted Surefire lights- which the instructors also did not agree with. FYI, the dept. purchaser, and highr ups, decided on the package, not the firearms instructors... go figure.

Back to the RRA 2 stage triggers- Buyer beware about the RRA 2 stage triggers, as I do not have any durability expeience on long term use. I'm sure someone here can chime in on them. What I can say is that fot the patrol rifle course, each officer was given a training rifle that is only used for the the course (not issued out on the street). There have ben 9 classes with each AR shooting about 1000 rounds per class. So far, no issues with the trigger.

Just my .02 cents.

-Rich

Hell_Bent
03-30-09, 20:20
Sorry to go off topic-

Blank- the funny thing is that RRA also included barrel mounted Surefire lights- which the instructors also did not agree with. FYI, the dept. purchaser, and highr ups, decided on the package, not the firearms instructors... go figure.

Back to the RRA 2 stage triggers- Buyer beware about the RRA 2 stage triggers, as I do not have any durability expeience on long term use. I'm sure someone here can chime in on them. What I can say is that fot the patrol rifle course, each officer was given a training rifle that is only used for the the course (not issued out on the street). There have ben 9 classes with each AR shooting about 1000 rounds per class. So far, no issues with the trigger.

Just my .02 cents.

-Rich

So if I'm reading this right, that's 9K on each of several different RRA 2 stages without a failure? Not bad.

I run one RRA 2 stage on my SPR build and it has been an excellent trigger. I'd still shy away from having the same on my defensive builds, but for my precision application it has been flawless. Approx 2k rounds with about 2/3's of that suppressed on this particular SPR.

Could you give an idea how many rifles you are talking about in your sample size? Does your department have 2-3 rifles set aside for training, a dozen?

I'd also be interested to hear if, beyond the triggers not "failing", have they all maintained 2 stages of pull? I've seen various 2 stage setups over the years which have consistently tripped the hammer but eventually became unintentional single stages, having become a single long pull with no distinct second stage.

No worries if you don't have that information available, just curiosity on my part.

darr3239
02-28-11, 18:31
I have a RRA National Match and without doing anything to it the trigger is fantastic. The worst trigger I've ever experienced, with my somewhat limited experience, is with my Colt carbine (gritty and not so light).

My question is, given that single stage seems to be the consensus for combat type shooting, how low on trigger pull weight do you really want to go? Three to four pounds for target/competition work is good, but in combat/stress situations it seems a little light to me.

How 'bout it combat veterans?

Travis B
02-28-11, 19:53
Also discussed here (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75206)

txn
02-28-11, 20:03
I have been shooting with the RRA two stage since 04. My father bought an Entry Tactical in '06, it had about 4000 rounds through it when we moved to germany in '08. My uncle baby sat it until last fall, and I don't know how many rounds he put through it, but he lives in east Texas and likes to go out for hogs on his lease, so he did take it out sometimes.

When I fired it over the break the trigger still felt crisp. I ordered my Rock River with the two stage trigger last december, recieved it in early January and couldn't be happier. I've heard horror stories about them, but I've never experienced anything negative.

As far as defense use goes, I'm sure a single stage may be the way to go, but once you get used to it you can work a two stage correctly pretty quickly

Duffy
02-28-11, 20:09
Years ago my RRA 2 stage went from a 2 stage to an unpredictable single stage (would let off a round with various pressure on the trigger) after fewer than 100rds, that was enough for me.

That was in 2002 or 2003, this problem wasn't as well known then. The only RRA 2 stage I could recommend is the one reworked by WOA.

bkb0000
02-28-11, 20:16
The only RRA 2 stage I could recommend is the one reworked by WOA.

what does he do to 'em?

Duffy
02-28-11, 20:51
Sorry I don't remember....

I vaguely recall the trigger pull was different, that's all :confused: And the WOA trigger never went to the crapper :)

ETA: lighter trigger pull, 3.5lbs vs. RRA's 4.5lbs.