PDA

View Full Version : First guns for juniors

bkb0000
03-28-09, 21:42
feel free to verbally bitch-slap me a thread if one already exists on this topic

My oldest of three boys turns 5 in a couple months, and I want to get him started off right. Seems like most first-guns people get are hand-me-downs or just whatever was cheap at the time, but I have the means and time to get ahold of something better for my boy.

My thoughts are single shot bolt action .22lr, but that's basically just because its the cliche weapon to start on. If thats the case, I'll just get him a marlin 'lil buckaroo from a pawn shop for $50 and call it good. However, maybe there's better weapons to learn on.

.223 bolt gun? I know next to nothing about bolt guns- I cut my teeth on a 7mm magnum and then did BRM on an M16A2. Starting with the bolt-gun totally ****ed me up on the 16, as I perpetually lifted my cheek after every shot in an attempt to chamber another round, forgetting the 16 was an auto. took a long time to break this habit. it was nice to shoot something that didn't dislocate my shoulder every time i squeezed the trigger, though. taking my experience into account, i have no clue what to get him. i also wasn't 5 when i started shooting, i was more like 17.

thoughts?

HiggsBoson
03-28-09, 21:56
A big +1 for the bolt-action .22LR.

Getting started with a bolt-action at a young age is a great way for kids to learn safety, marksmanship, and a healthy respect for firearms. Also, don't forget the iconic Marlin 39A (a lever-action .22LR). It ain't exactly a BB-gun, but it's a good bit less lethal (and less expensive to shoot!) than a .223.

SeriousStudent
03-28-09, 22:16
May I be so bold as to recommend a Cricket bolt-action .22 rifle?

http://www.crickett.com/TheStore/Rifles/rifles.html

I agree with your reasoning. A bolt-action single-shot rifle will assist with helping him focus on the fundamentals.

And start him off right with ear and eye protection. No reason for him to become deaf, like us old bastiges. :D

And didn't Anschutz make a nice inexpensive youth model a while back?

Vic303
03-28-09, 23:04
We ended up with a trio of Rem 514's for the Monkeys to learn on.

Oscar 319
03-28-09, 23:09
Check out the Henry Mini-bolt. Perfect starter gun.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/henry_mini_bolt.jpg

ToddG
03-29-09, 00:32
lindertw might pop into this thread if you're lucky. He has been teaching his young daughter to shoot both rifle and pistol and I'm absolutely amazed that anyone can shoot so well at her age. She's genuinely impressive to watch, and lindertw has put a lot of thought into what they're doing on the range.

Dave L.
03-29-09, 00:45
Very fun, very accurate, very affordable. You can get 5-10 round detachable mags for it, but you can also get a solid mag to make it a single shot.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/products_id/116

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=5

bkb0000
03-29-09, 01:18
anybody set their kid up with something not .22?

Joe_Friday
03-29-09, 02:25
My 4 year old son and my 20 month old daughter both have Cricket .22s waiting on them for when they turn 5 (wifes rule, not mine). They are reliable, pretty easy to find around here and wont break the bank.

At 5 years old, I think a .22 is about all I want my kids to shoot. I guess I look at it the same as when I take my son fishing. If I make him stay when he is ready to go he will not like it after a while and I will not have my little fishing buddy. If I give him something to shoot that hurts his shoulder or may be a little to much for him he will not like it as much. When he gets used to the .22 I will let him make up his mind when he wants to upgrade calibers. I know that may seem like I may be giving him a lot of room in making his own choices but like I said, I want him to get as much enjoyment out of it as I do.

YMMV

mark5pt56
03-29-09, 07:57
I vote for the Crickett's as well. Santa Claus had a pink laminate for my daughter and the brown laminate for my son one year.

They still have them, love the 10-22 also. I wouldn't start them on the semi-my son has the nickname-Hammer.

I did a drawing for them to help explain the sight picture on the Crickett. It was easy, had it right there and it was a great visual aid for them.

Joe Mamma
03-29-09, 09:55
Very fun, very accurate, very affordable. You can get 5-10 round detachable mags for it, but you can also get a solid mag to make it a single shot.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/products_id/116

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=5

I second the CZ 452 Scout suggestion. This gun is much more of a real quality gun than other kids guns that I've handled. It's something that I could see getting handed down to the children of your children, and thier kids . . .

One thing to note is that it also takes the same mags as the other CZ 452 models. So, you can get one of the adult versions, your kids can use grown up mags, and it makes your range time easier.

Joe Mamma

dutch308
03-29-09, 12:59
I agree with all that mentioned the Cricket. I bought one for my son when he was six and they are great for the kids to learn on and they have a safety latch that locks the bolt open that takes a key to unlock. He loved it and still has it. We are letting my daughter shot it now as well. Great little gun!!!!!

MarshallDodge
03-29-09, 13:07
I bought a Chipmunk for my son when he was five and it served him and my younger son well. It is a single shot that requires some strength to cock it. Perfect for the beginner because you can sit with them and they cannot reload without your help.

Now they both have 10/22's.

M4tographer
03-29-09, 22:53
anybody set their kid up with something not .22?

Spring air Daisy lever gun. ;) Once they can handle that safely, we'll move on to bigger and better.

lostwake
03-30-09, 01:37
I agree with a pellet gun idea. Thats whats I started with. But as far a real gun. Why get your kid a piece of crap that hes going to grow out of anyways? Why not get him a better platform that he can grow on and hone his skills and keep it for the rest of his life. I rec a ruger 10/22, cheap, cheap to shoot and room to grow. Start out with the irons and add optics barrels and soon your sons really learning to shoot and balistics.

bkb0000
03-30-09, 01:56
i'm the Antitentwentytwo himself. hate ruger with a passion. never seen a company with so much potential and name recognition and history fail to seize the opportunity to produce a decent weapon.

i think he's gonna get a bolt .223.. i don't want something that'll hold him back, and .22 just isn't good for much beyond 25m. he's not even firing an auto till he's achieved some goals, and not getting one till he's achieved more. then we'll start thinking about his first AR build.

my thoughts, as of right now.

larry0071
03-30-09, 06:11
Started him with a BB Gun. Moved to Rossi single shot .22.

Now he's 13 and has a Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 20 guage, and Charles Daly DM-4 Carbine. He got the "big guns" when he was 12.

sewvacman
03-30-09, 07:48
My son is 7, I started him w/ a BB gun at 5 and am moving him over to the cricket actually next week. Then we are taking him to appleseed to get some distance shooting training on the 18th.
I recommend the a BB gun at age 5 and see how mature he is around/with it and move him up from there. Our biggest issue was with barrel weight and stock length which the cricket takes care of.

LonghunterCO
03-30-09, 09:34
Check out the Henry Mini-bolt. Perfect starter gun.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/henry_mini_bolt.jpg

I am in the same boat as you my oldest is 4 years and 4 months old now. The idea of a BB/pellet gun to learn safet gun handling then up to a single shot bolt gun or break action single shot .22 seems like a good idea. I have looked at the the cricket, and while cute, I was un-impressed. I was at my local shop last week and they had a Mini-bolt in there. It seemed well made the fiber optic sights seemed easy to pick up. I will be going that route when the time comes.
My brother's 10 year old had been shooting BB guns for years and since he got started late he is going to go to a single shot .22 youth H&R this October. (Which uncle Longhunter is going to engrave for him;))

lostwake
03-30-09, 12:36
I am ashamed to admit it, but ruger is making some sub-par guns. But as far as the comment, .22 is only good up to 25 meters? I shoot my .22 twice a week at distances from 50-200+ meters with good ease. I hear that talk alot at gun stores. I belive it to be a matter of opinion.

mo hunter
03-30-09, 13:54
I would like to find another chipmunk. My dad bought me one when I was 7, it wears a red dot scope now and my son does shoot it. IMO it is a step up from the crickett, but they don't seem to be made anymore. IDK. My nephew has a cz and it is well made. So well made it is to heavy for the kid right now.

Irish
03-30-09, 14:02
I'd recommend the BB/pellet gun route as well. Started mine with this http://www.daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16139&cat=249&page=1 for learning the safety fundamentals and now he's got a 10/22. This summer I'm going to start teaching him on his own LMT AR.

mike240
03-30-09, 16:11
I bought a Rem 514 at a local police auction years ago for this purpose while the wife was carrying the twins. Cut the barrel and stock. Had 12 bucks in the thing. Turn bolt safety and single shot with irons sights. Great for kids. I started them on a 8 inch steel plate when they were so small I was supporting the forend at hip level for them. Do not teach kids on paper, but do teach iron sights. Let them hear the steel ring-groups size doesnt matter just a hit. Slowly move them back. That little rifle has been passed all over town after my kids outgrew it. I know who has it but I have not seen it in years.

Jerm
03-30-09, 18:32
I picked up a Cricket for my 5 y/o son a few months back on sale at Wally for $100.

The lock placement and activation is annoying.Other than that i think its a great starter.I'm typically not one to call for a .22lr for any new shooter.But being that young i think it's a good way to go.

It's definately not limited to 25m...even with open sights.

ZDL
03-31-09, 03:07
Bolt action .22. 410 shortly after. 20 gauge at 10yrs old. .308 at 15. Had some other stuff in between but that's a general overview.

That was my progression.

Gentoo
03-31-09, 05:48
This thread is relevant to my interests....

My little one turns 4 next month. I really want to get him a rifle, but I don't think he will be able to understand and comprehend the safety aspects.

I think I am going to get him a BB gun and start with that in the garage. Hopefully by Christmas it will be time for an upgrade.

Probably will be a 10/22.

Buckaroo
03-31-09, 08:24
Here is a fun option!

http://ingunowners.com/forums/firearms/28618-wts_training_weapon.html

Barely used colt m4 replica airsoft training weapon. had custom made and imported a few years ago and airsoft never took off in my area so it has sat around. I paid $480 would like $350. it is full auto, feel free to shoot me offers you never know. oh and not looking for trades right now

custom build list:
fps:440
Level IV premium upgrade option that increases your firepower and range. Upgrade work includes installation of the following:
1. Install Prometheus spring
2. Systema Bearing middle gear
3. Systema Steel bushings
4. Systema Hi Torque gears
5. Battery Compartment Mods
6. Systema Directional Piston Head
7. Systema Bearing Rear Spring Guide
8. Fuse removal
9. Custom work to ensure smooth operation
10. Install Deep Fire Titanium Piston (Titanium Teeth)

I bought a Henry Mini-bolt last year for my little girls. Already have an old .410 and a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 youth model.

They like the Ruger Mark II as well (one round at a time until they learn the basics).

Buckaroo

rat31465
03-31-09, 10:27
One I would recommend from person experience is pictured below.
This is my modified Marlin Model 15 YN Youth model...I bought it to use as a teaching tool for my two daughters when they were small. It has served well to teach countless nieces, nephews, cousins and my Grandson as soon as he is just a little older.
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=232

I built this stock in Benchrest configuration over a weekend with nothing but a machine vise, Drill Press and a couple of router bits.
I need to find an original stock in the near future.

I am giving serious thought to buying a .17 HMR or even a .22 Mag to cut down for the Grandson as the extra power and range of these cartridges would be helpful for teaching shooting at longer ranges.

ra2bach
03-31-09, 20:29
I chose the Rossi Matched Set for my boys.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/images/S202244YBS.jpg

it's a break open single shot that comes with a rimfire, a shotgun, and a centerfire barrel in a variety of calibers. it's got a pretty darn good trigger and excellent accuracy for about $270.

I have seen configurations with shotgun barrels in .410 and 20 guage, a rimfire in .22lr, .22 magnum, and .17HMR, and centerfire choices of .270, .243, .44Magnum, .45Colt.

I chose a .22lr, a 20ga. shotgun, and .243 for my three boys and I think this is the best for a young shooter to grow into a "system".

the .243 is very accurate and I have been known to have this light little rifle broken down in my backpack with a couple of barrels when I head down to the creek to check the water level...

lindertw
04-01-09, 06:07
That looks like a great setup!

I chose the Rossi Matched Set for my boys.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/images/S202244YBS.jpg

it's a break open single shot that comes with a rimfire, a shotgun, and a centerfire barrel in a variety of calibers. it's got a pretty darn good trigger and excellent accuracy for about $270.

I have seen configurations with shotgun barrels in .410 and 20 guage, a rimfire in .22lr, .22 magnum, and .17HMR, and centerfire choices of .270, .243, .44Magnum, .45Colt.

I chose a .22lr, a 20ga. shotgun, and .243 for my three boys and I think this is the best for a young shooter to grow into a "system".

the .243 is very accurate and I have been known to have this light little rifle broken down in my backpack with a couple of barrels when I head down to the creek to check the water level...

rat31465
04-02-09, 14:09
Several years ago a friend of mine using a Sierra Ballistics program churned this out for me. I have found it to be fairly accurate.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=324

cobb
04-02-09, 15:25
Your carbine with a .22 conversion kit might be an idea. Or build them there own light wt carbine. My daughter is 3 weeks old so I have a little time to figure our own situation. I believe pellet guns are good to start with, more accurate than BB's and cuts down on bounce backs.