PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory base gun

snacks
01-03-07, 11:59
i bit the bullet and bought a GI. Looking forward to having some work done to it. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I believe that you can't go wrong with getting either a GI or Milspec.

bullitt5172
01-03-07, 15:08
I asked about the dust cover on the Milspec and I was told that new Milspec's no longer have the older, blocky dust cover. The Milspec guns have more features and are better "shooters" than the GI....if left stock. Once you send it to a 'smith, the better sights, blended magwell, lowered/flared ejection port etc are no longer an advantage since they will likely be replaced. If your going to shoot it for a while and then send it in for work, get the Milspec (if you like the slanted serrations, I do).

rob_s
01-03-07, 19:03
Something else of note with regard to ejection ports. I now own three semi-customs (for lack of a better term) and none of the 3 have the ejection port cut anywhere near as low as the Springfield Milspec. The Wilson CQB is the lowest, but the Yost and Brown guns are near stock in terms of "lowness". You can see this in the pics I posted on the first page.

Sam
01-04-07, 06:18
http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4609

Go to that thread above and check out the first group of pictures of a Milspec that Ted Yost and Jason Burton done up for the SHOT show. That's the kind of custom work that could be done to a Milspec.

snacks
01-04-07, 18:17
Wow. those are a beautiful pair of pistols, actually sets of pairs of pistols. :D