PDA

View Full Version : AR Basics..New to the AR Platform

JmasterJ
12-28-06, 19:37
Hey thanks to everyone posting. The video helped alot...I have a pretty good idea now how the AR works/what parts are what and it is actually a pretty basic design. I picked up my first M4/A2 clone yesterday and had a good couple hours disecting it.

Time to mod this puppy out:p :D

JmasterJ
12-28-06, 19:53
Oh how about this...on the bolt carrier...what is the purpose of the bolt moving and twisting that .5 inch back and forth? How does this system work?

Alpha Sierra
12-28-06, 20:13
Oh how about this...on the bolt carrier...what is the purpose of the bolt moving and twisting that .5 inch back and forth? How does this system work?

That is how the bolt locks and unlocks from the barrel extension. The barrel extension is the round piece that forms the very back of the barrel (it is actually a separate piece from the barrel) that has radial slots machined into it. When the bolt is fully extended from the bolt carrier, the bolt's lugs line up with the slots in the barrel extension (BE). As the bolt carrier moves forward, the bolt moves with it until it bottoms out on the BE. Once the bolt bottoms out, the bolt carrier continues forward, causing the bolt to rotate courtesy of the bolt's cam pin and the curved cam pin slot. As the bolt rotates, the bolt lugs line up in front of the solid lugs of the BE, locking the bolt and sealing the chamber.

Razorhunter
12-31-06, 17:41
Gentlemen,
First off, let me say THANKS to all of you, who are associated with this forum, as I'm glad to finally find a NO BS forum, with guys who KNOW their stuff, and who are not your average Rainbow Warriors...

Secondly, I HOPE my post is not seen as butting-in, but I thought this might be a good thread, to post a couple other similar questions in.

I have just purchased my FIRST AR, a Colt LE6920, after much research on the net, I thought this to be the best choice for me.

Here is a question I have, that maybe others would like to know the answer to as well...

- What is the name of the part, that sits directly in front of the buffer tube, and actually keeps it from springing forward? It's almost like a "key" or "post" of some type, which the keyway on the bottom of the bolt carrier rides over. What's odd to me, is that this "key" or "post", is not shaped like the standard squared keyway on the bottom of the bolt carrier, so the bolt carrier keyway obviously has a good bit of clearance while sliding over this post/key...
Also, this "key" or "post", has a slight bit of play in it, and I'm wondering if this is normal??? With it holding the buffer tube from springing forward, I would have thought it would be TIGHTLY installed.
Not that I've had any problems, just observations here. Maybe I'm all wrong here, but IF there is a weak point in this firearm, this little post/key, seems to be THAT weak point, so I thought I'd ask the experts what they have to say about this...?
Thanks again guys, for this wonderful "NO BS" forum....

Dport
12-31-06, 17:56
Gentlemen,

- What is the name of the part, that sits directly in front of the buffer tube, and actually keeps it from springing forward? It's almost like a "key" or "post" of some type, which the keyway on the bottom of the bolt carrier rides over. What's odd to me, is that this "key" or "post", is not shaped like the standard squared keyway on the bottom of the bolt carrier, so the bolt carrier keyway obviously has a good bit of clearance while sliding over this post/key...
It's the buffer retainer. It is held in place by the receiver extension.

Also, this "key" or "post", has a slight bit of play in it, and I'm wondering if this is normal??? With it holding the buffer tube from springing forward, I would have thought it would be TIGHTLY installed.
It will probably have some play. It's spring-loaded. If you push down on it you'll notice.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/AR-15Diagram.htm

Glockster35
12-31-06, 18:05
Razorhunter,

The piece you reference is called the Buffer retainer/detent and under that is the buffer retainer/detent spring.

I don't see these as a weak point at all, I have never seen one go bad. They may need replaced after a lot of wear, but it is something I check in my rifle while cleaning.

The play is normal, it is held in place by the buffer tube, and is there to retain the buffer and spring inside the buttstock assembly while the rifle upper and lower are opened up.

I don't think you will have any problems with it!

Glockster35
12-31-06, 18:06
Sorry DPort beat me to it!

Dport
12-31-06, 19:32
Sorry DPort beat me to it!
I'm just thankful we had the same answer. If we didn't that would mean one of us is wrong, and it probably would have been me.;)

JmasterJ
12-31-06, 20:23
Ok, here's another question...I have an older Bushy (1993) but it is brand spanking new, never ever used. I took it apart to become familiar and because it was bone dry. I was lubing it down and I cross referenced the manual that it comes with. It states that there is supposed to be a rubber insert in the spring of the extracter. When I examined mine, there was no such thing present...just the spring. Is this common or should I order one?

Also does the extracter side go upwards when inserted back into the bolt carrier or does it go downwards? I can't quite make it out from the diagrams and don't remember when taking it out because I ran into other questions. Or does it even matter?

Thanks

baffle Stack
12-31-06, 22:56
Also does the extracter side go upwards when inserted back into the bolt carrier or does it go downwards? I can't quite make it out from the diagrams and don't remember when taking it out because I ran into other questions. Or does it even matter?

Thanks

I goes toward the side with the forward assist notches. You would be able to see it thru the ejection port when it's put together, but I think it will only go in one way.

Glockster35
01-01-07, 00:29
If you are looking at the front of the bolt carrier, the extractor should go at the 11 o-clock position. It will only fit in there one way!

As for the rubber insert, I would probably buy one if yours is missing/non-existent. Back in 1993, I don't know if anyone used them, but by today's standards, they are necessary/expected.

While you are looking to make tyhe purchase, C4IGrant selld a extractor improvement kit that includes a new spring, rubber insert, and rubber O-Ring...I just got one, and they are really nice and required for a reliable AR by today's standards!

Glockster35
01-01-07, 00:31
BTW, keep the questions coming, I like being able to contribute! Remember that the only dumb question, is the one you don't ask!

I am not a know all, been there done that kind of guy, and I ask a lot of questions too. I just finished my first AR, so I have asked many questions myself!

JmasterJ
01-01-07, 12:43
thread subscription

Razorhunter
01-01-07, 13:26
While on the subject of the buffer and bolt carrier, I would like to ask you guys if there is any value in using one of the "buffer pads?" that I have seen being sold, which apparently cushion the impact of the buffer and bolt carrier, as they impact each other???
I cannot remember what the little buffer pads are actually called, but I know I've seen them in Brownells? or other catalogs..
I think Wilson makes them...
Anyone have experience with them???

Glockster35
01-01-07, 15:10
I don't have experience with those buffer pads or the like, however, I do not see much advantage to using those at all. Your buffer should already have a pad on it. Others may report a small amount of reduce in reciol or rifle rise, but I don't think it will be significant enough to warrant the purchase.

Don't look to replace things for the sake of replacing them, save your money for ammo, and shoot that thing!